The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone using a K-3?

PenSon

Fstops 16 and 18 on the images :)

Fantastic display on the camera.

The setup for today pictures.

Last edited:

raycox

Image from this morning. Just downright cold out there! -16F with a 25mph breeze. Anyway, I took this image and have no way to process it on this computer. Perhaps a little cold weather diversion for someone?

Last edited:

Elliot

Yes, just recently got the K-3. I haven't had much of a chance to go out photographing, but have been experimenting with some other subjects, learning how to use the camera, and it is coming along. Here is a simple JPG backyard shot, hoping to get something going.

Where are the other K-3 users?

View attachment 79596

raycox

Well, I think that all of the K3 users are here. But the camera works so good and is such a pleasure to use, I just don't think that there is much to say. Or especially complain about!
Have really been enjoying using it in the studio for portraits.

Hi

I am interested in this K3 too. What is your experience with the K3 regarding:

1. White balance. Does the K3 nails WB exactly? Is it dead on? Or do you need to correct it afterwards in PP?

2. Colour accuracy. Is it dead on? With which slide film would you compare it? At which ISO colours starting to be less good?

3. AF speed & accuracy good enough for children? Also indoors in poor light - ISO 1600-6400. And is it better than K5II or the same?

4. Which Telezoom (70-200 range in FF) can handle the 24MP of the K3?

5. Which FFL 35mm (in FF) can handle the 24MP of the K3?

Any links to images that you have seen on the net are welcome.

Thanks

baudolino

This thread is sleeping, presumably everybody's having fun with their Sony A7s. Meanwhile, my K-3 has been proving its worth during last week's ski trip to Schladming, Austria. All photos with the new 20-40 limited lens. The lens copes well with the 24PM resolution, its only meaningful fault is fairly significant vignetting that doesn't go away so easily by stopping the lens down but that can of course be fixed in pp (still a bit of a let-down when one comes from the Leica world and expects lenses to be close to "perfect").

In response to 4711 above - re colour accuracy, it is whatever you set the camera to; there are so many settings possible in camera that this question is almost impossible to answer. For example, you can set the response to "reversal film", then the images come from the camera accordingly. When I leave the camera on Auto WB, it is usually fine but in certain situations (kids skiing in overcast weather, for instance) it sometimes needs a bit of help in pp. AF speed is fine, accuracy also, but children are a specific and difficult subject - I find the Olympus EM-1 or EM-5 faster, due to their face recognition / focus on nearest eye feature (this is of course possible only in Live View, so best implemented in an EVF type of camera; here the K-3 does live view but focusing in it is not as fast as in the Olympus cameras). As for the tele zooms, I don't have the answer but can vouch for the F*300/4.5 which is super sharp even wide open, and is small and compact. I have the FA 35/2; it can handle the 24MP sensor but, owing to the crop factor, that's not what 4711 is asking. I tried the FA*24/2 (which would be the equivalent of 35mm in FF) but I don't think it cuts it in the modern age, unfortunately - good contrast and lovely colours, but resolution is not there, especially wide open and even 1 stop from wide; also has quite a bit of purple fringing.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
@ baudolino,

love your photos from Schladming! Have spent there weeks doing snowboarding for several years till 5 years ago. Makes me feel want to get back there again soon!

Hope you enjoy your K3 ;)

Peter

Paratom

After a long debate with myself I also finally ordered a K3 Which I will receive the next days.
I have been using the K5iis for some time now, also other dslrs like the 5dIII and m43 (lately EM1).
I thought the EM1 would be my small and fast camera-system of choice. Overall I think the lenses available for m43 are very good (IMO better than what is available for the Pentax). However a) I just cant get connected to EVF b) I prefer the IQ of the Pentax over m43 c) I get a better keeper rate with the Pentax (I think because I can see the subject as it is and not through an EVF. d) I like the user interface of the Pentax.

Main reason for me to get the K3 instead of K5IIs is the new AF with more AF points.

Compared to the EOS 5 I use the Pentax more often because of the smaller size of Pentax-lenses. I now often carry 15DA, 20-40 (most used lens), 50-135 and 31/1.8 when the light is low.

One thing I miss is a fast 35mm equivalent lens. 31 is a little too long for my taste. a 24/1.4 would be great.