The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone using a K-3?

Knorp

After a long debate with myself I also finally ordered a K3 Which I will receive the next days.
I have been using the K5iis for some time now, also other dslrs like the 5dIII and m43 (lately EM1).
I thought the EM1 would be my small and fast camera-system of choice. Overall I think the lenses available for m43 are very good (IMO better than what is available for the Pentax). However a) I just cant get connected to EVF b) I prefer the IQ of the Pentax over m43 c) I get a better keeper rate with the Pentax (I think because I can see the subject as it is and not through an EVF. d) I like the user interface of the Pentax.

Main reason for me to get the K3 instead of K5IIs is the new AF with more AF points.

Compared to the EOS 5 I use the Pentax more often because of the smaller size of Pentax-lenses. I now often carry 15DA, 20-40 (most used lens), 50-135 and 31/1.8 when the light is low.

One thing I miss is a fast 35mm equivalent lens. 31 is a little too long for my taste. a 24/1.4 would be great.
Tom, what about the SIGMA 24mm f1.8 EX DG MACRO (for Pentax) ?

Kind regards.

jonoslack

After a long debate with myself I also finally ordered a K3 Which I will receive the next days.
HI Tom
I'm always tempted to go back, but it was the lenses which caused me grief.

Bart
Do you have a K3 as well? Are you pleased with it?

It'll be decision time for me pretty soon.

all the best

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I have been using the K5iis for some time now, also other dslrs like the 5dIII and m43 (lately EM1).
I thought the EM1 would be my small and fast camera-system of choice. Overall I think the lenses available for m43 are very good (IMO better than what is available for the Pentax). However a) I just cant get connected to EVF b) I prefer the IQ of the Pentax over m43 c) I get a better keeper rate with the Pentax (I think because I can see the subject as it is and not through an EVF. d) I like the user interface of the Pentax.

Main reason for me to get the K3 instead of K5IIs is the new AF with more AF points.

Compared to the EOS 5 I use the Pentax more often because of the smaller size of Pentax-lenses. I now often carry 15DA, 20-40 (most used lens), 50-135 and 31/1.8 when the light is low.

One thing I miss is a fast 35mm equivalent lens. 31 is a little too long for my taste. a 24/1.4 would be great.
Hi Tom,

actually this is an interesting decision - but a good one I guess. I am looking around for an optimal APSC solution/system since a while - maybe it could be Fuji X (XT1) or the Pentax K3. Sure the K3 offers OVF, but WRT lenses the Fuji is meanwhile better aligned overall. Not sure currently which I would prefer.

Anyway congratulations on your decision! Looking forward to your feedback here.

Peter

jonoslack

Hi Tom,

actually this is an interesting decision - but a good one I guess. I am looking around for an optimal APSC solution/system since a while - maybe it could be Fuji X (XT1) or the Pentax K3. Sure the K3 offers OVF, but WRT lenses the Fuji is meanwhile better aligned overall. Not sure currently which I would prefer.

Anyway congratulations on your decision! Looking forward to your feedback here.

Peter

Hi Peter
have you given up on the Leica T?

Knorp

Is it supposed to be a good lens? I will do some research on it-thanks!
Well, looking at the specs I'd say it will do nicely on centre, but poorly elsewhere.
I'm hoping Sigma will extent their ART-series for K-mount soon.

Kind regards.

Knorp

Bart

all the best
Decision time ? Again ... :shocked:
:chug:

No K3 for me, pretty happy with my K5 IIs.
Actually waiting for the Next Gen K3 IIs or similar ... :grin:

Kind regards.

Paratom

HI Tom
I'm always tempted to go back, but it was the lenses which caused me grief.

Bart

all the best
I am pretty happy with the 20-40 Ltd. so far which is my main lens. ( I had used 2samples 16-50 where I was not so happy but my 20-40 seems good all over the range, and it handles very nice and the size is perfect for the K-bodies)
The 50-135 also works quite well.
The 15 needs to be stopped down to improve corners but very nice color and pop.
And for lower light I use the 31/1.8.
The 18-135 I don't use any more, the other lenses are just visibly better.

Still owning both the Pentax and the EM1 and I am also interested in the T. But I think the M is the better Leica for my needs, and the Pentax when the M is not fast enough.
If I didn't have small kids it could be different.

Paratom

K3 arrived...I needed to do some focus fine adjustment for my lenses but other than that I have an excellent first impression. The K5IIs handles great and the K3 even better.
Here one quick shot with the 31mm:, where I tested my focus setting
The Pentax draw very saturated color .. so one has to be carefull to not blow reds with this camera (same for the k5iis).

tsjanik

K3 arrived...I needed to do some focus fine adjustment for my lenses but other than that I have an excellent first impression. The K5IIs handles great and the K3 even better.
Here one quick shot with the 31mm:, where I tested my focus setting
The Pentax draw very saturated color .. so one has to be carefull to not blow reds with this camera (same for the k5iis).
Congratulations. Now,

:worthless:

Tom

MalcolmP

Careful what you ask for Tom(tsjanik) now you will have to suffer a selfie and it could be any one of the three:)
Regards
Malc

MalcolmP

K3 with Bigma O/S, Tamron 70-200 f2.8 & 17-50f2.8.
It still needs better AF but other than that its the bee's knee's:)
Regards
Malc

Knorp

Great stuff, Malcolm.
That puffin shot is right out gorgeous, love it !

Kind regards.