Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using a K-3?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone using a K-3?

Anyone care to post some impressions of the K-3?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone using a K-3?

Well, I have been the owner of a K3 for three days now. I currently own a K5 and 645D, so I am not new to the Pentax system.
    My first impressions of the camera are all good. It appears that the camera is more responsive and I particularly like the fact that it can use two data cards. I have not had the opportunity to use an Eye-fi card yet but that is my intention.
    I am confident enough with the camera to use it tomorrow evening to photograph the attendees at a Christmas function. Each attendee is entitled to a 5x7. Should be a good test or total foolishness. (Not totally foolish, will take the 645D as backup)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll be interested in your impressions. I too have a 645D and K-5. The K-3 appears to be quite a camera on paper, but currently overshadowed by the Sony.

Post Thanks / Like

My overall first impressions are good. I have used the camera for general all around usual snapshots. Lots of snow out there so I have been a little limited with outdoor images. Will try for a few eagle images over the weekend if the weather cooperates.
    Very pleased with the camera for studio use. Studio cameras have all been Nikon, but would not hesitate to use this in the studio. I have the camera set to record DNG and jpeg of each shot. The color and exposure accuracy are right on. Images take very little post processing. Tried the AA settings but these do soften the image. Setting 1 does an OK job with a portrait, but really is not necessary. Moire has not been an issue yet although I am sure I will find some sooner or later. If so, will try the AA settings.
    The thing that I notice most is that you had better have good technique, lots of resolution will show just how good you are! Ray
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also own a 645D and a K5. I've been seriously thinking of upgrading the K5 to the K3. Aside from the additional resolution, it seems to offer an almost perfect feature set for my needs and shooting style. Amazingly, it's ranked #1 DSLR of the year on DP Review reader poll.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wood View Post
    I also own a 645D and a K5. I've been seriously thinking of upgrading the K5 to the K3. Aside from the additional resolution, it seems to offer an almost perfect feature set for my needs and shooting style. Amazingly, it's ranked #1 DSLR of the year on DP Review reader poll.
    That is surprising, considering how little mention of the K-3 I've seen - hence my question; launching with the A7r was unfortunate timing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been using the K-3 for a about a week now, but only had a chance, until today, to shoot it with the FA 300/4.5 lens (which is a great piece of glass). I finally got a used FA 35/f2.0 from ebay on Thursday, did some shooting today. Preliminary conclusions: great colours, fantastic detail, have to wrap my mind around the best AF approach as I am missing optimum focus a lot of the time. Could also be that the FA35 f2.0 needs some micro adjustment; will run tests tomorrow. I also got the battery grip and I am trying it with the 6 LR batteries - curiously, the camera doesn't even start with no battery in the body, just running on the grip. Admittedly, I am using 5 Lithium batteries and one rechargeable; will try to give it one more Lithium, but still, it should show some action even now, in my view.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tom,
    my first impressions are-
    its a k5 on some sort of super drug
    not meant to be a trite comment at all,its just better in pretty much every way imho. and coming from the k5 mk1 its a heck of an upgrade for me atleast.
    I've seen it said that the high iso performance is not as good as the mk11s and I trust some of the folk who have said that(Jim R.in particular) however its too early for me to say.what I will say though is that based on what I,,,,feel?, the files are so malleable that any noise can be dealt with in p/p(and downsizing perhaps) and the detail your still left with makes it a mute point for me.
    Another review -Amateur Photographer,said it is only out resolved by Nikon 800e and medium format.Perhaps that is pre Sony 7r but its still something of a compliment.it certainly is true of the standard D800 that Barbara(my infinitely better half)has,she doesn't frequent DPI so I'll get away with that.
    I've got the K3 at a busy time for me so I've not realy had time to take too many pics with it but attatched is a rubbish snap, shot at iso 800,pushed in parts about a stop and a half so iso2000 ish.The grumpy old git on the left(as you view) is me,hardwork getting myself to look that old and grumpy.obviously been p/p'd to my tastes but as the crop shows imho,you want detail in your files?you got it!
    I think you hit the nail on the head with the Sony reference(I'm sure the 7r is great by the way),if the K3 said sony or canikon instead of Ricoh on the back and they put it in a redesigned body then the popularity would rise to where it deserves to be(that's the Pentax story though isn't it?).Personaly its a great package as far as I'm concerned and I don't mind if it looks like the k5mk1,afterall that is/was a great camera.When I get more time,over xmas hopefully I'll get more pics and be more specific in my thoughts.
    Regards
    Malc
    Last edited by MalcolmP; 22nd December 2013 at 05:45. Reason: add pics
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the thoughts Malcolm, I guess you like the camera

Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmP View Post
    Hi Tom,
    my first impressions are-
    its a k5 on some sort of super drug............
    Malc
    Perhaps you've inhaled too much sawdust . Those are quite the beams you're making - a cabinet for photo gear?

Best,

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I took the new K3 to the party. Everyone was entitled to have their picture taken. 200 shots later and not a clinker in the bunch.
    To say the least I am one happy camper with this camera. Worked flawlessly. Tons of resolution, quick, quiet and NO moire in any of the myriad of different exposures @ f9.0, iso 400
    I set the camera to record a DNG to card one and jpeg to second card. It didn't even breath hard.
    Opening the raw files in Camera Raw they were nearly dead on. Only slight color balance adjustment due to off color walls reflecting. + 1/3 stop adjustment (thought the Sekonic was lying to me), no need to sharpen.
    I know it's only our first date, but I already think this is going to be a long relationship.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

While I'm still shooting the K5IIs, I wonder whether we could have a new thread.
    Now, I'm not suggesting a specific K3 thread, but preferably a more generic K thread so all K owners can join in.
    There are really not that many here anyway ...
    Or we can ask the mods to rename the current K5 thread.

Any suggestions, gentlemen ?

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good suggestion Knorp. Perhaps "Fun with the Pentax K series"? In some ways I find postings based on equipment used very limiting and yet I understand why people using the same camera have more interests in common; threads based only on the image seem less active - maybe we're all gearheads .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I took the plunge and ordered a K3 on Monday for next day delivery. It is caught up in the UPS nationwide delivery fiasco currently going on. I'm bummed, was hoping to have it to play with today.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear about the initial success of the new K3. Although I shoot with the 645D, I not longer shoot with any of the Pentax 35mm DSLR's having done so since the earliest first models they offered and each model since then in a professional capacity. This extended my use of Pentax from the earliest days of both their 6x7 system and film SLR's.

As background: I've previously owned, and extensively tested and used virtually their entire FA full frame lens line since their inception into the market place and there are some incredible optics that they designed that even surpassed some of the great optics of Nikon which I was utilizing too in a Nikon system. Unfortunately many of them had severe performance issues on most of the early models of their DSLR's, and there was no way to adjust for front or back focus at the time, among other camera-lens issues that developed. This combined with a less than stellar Af performance of the vast majority of their DSLR's under both low light and certain types of stage and performance venue lighting, the system eventually had to be abandoned for serious use. Up to that time I had a close working relationship to the Parent Pentax Corp and they too acknowledged the shortcomings I observed in both testing and real world use.

Nice to see how they've made such great strides. It's no wonder the files out of the camera are near "ready to use"..including the Raw's. That's the way its been with the 645D and I have no doubt they've extended this to the current K3 and recent cameras. There will always be a fondness for that companies products even though ownership has changed.

I will follow this thread with interest. Thanks all for posting your thoughts.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 25th December 2013 at 15:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I received my K3, updated it to the new 1.01 release. My findings concur with others that it is more demanding than the K5 (which I also own along with a 645D). It seems to be a given that as resolution goes higher, image blur or lens issues become far more evident.

Even though there is only an 8 meg difference in sensor size, the K5 seems far more tolerant of sloppy technique or marginal optics. I find I have to give some thought when handholding the camera and consciously slow down. Machine gun shooting style doesn't really work with this camera, in my opinion.

My Pentax 16-45 and 55-300 lenses are marginal, at best. Soft corners, slight mis-centering alignment in manufacturing, etc., are all quite visibly evident. On the other hand, my 645 lenses (35, 55, 75, 120 macro, 200mm) work well with 645/K adapter.

I like the color rendition of SilkyPix version 5.0 supplied with the camera but find it slow and cumbersome to use. LR 4 seems to work satisfactorily with the DNG files. Noise is a bit more noticeable from the K3 files, even at ISO 100, but seem to be easily managed with the controls in LR. Files are quite malleable, as someone else said, and more akin to what I see from my 645D than from the K5.
    Certainly the K3 is closer to medium format performance territory than Pentax has ever ventured before with a small format DSLR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shouldn't we have a "Fun with Pentax K-3" thread now? I think so and, in a good tradition of this forum, would like to contribute a photo of my dog Bruno (sorry, no cats in our house). Taken today with the F* 300mm/4.5 lens which is a fantastic optic (1/250s/f5.6, ISO400). I find that the camera, in combination with Pentax lenses, delivers very saturated and contrasty images - sometimes even a bit over the top (portraits). But other times, that's what one wants. A bit like Kodachrome or Velvia, not so great for portraits but shines in low contrast light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And here is one taken with the same lens (F* 300/4.5) at ISO 1600 (1/320s/f5.0). Handheld. There is some noise, but boy, this lens is not a razor, it's a scalpel…!

With the same lens, a few more abstracts:

Sunset in the reeds (1/500s/f5.6, ISO200)

Geese formation (1/1000s/f5.6, ISO800, SilverEfex Pro2)

Escape through the clouds (1/320s/f5.0, ISO200, ColorEfex4)

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's an FYI. In my search for user experiences with the K-3 and justification to buy one , I found the following post on Fred Miranda forums from Roger Cicala, of LensRentals. Intresting that he is using a K-3, considering he has access to more equipment than most of us will see in our lifetimes.

RCicala wrote:
    I've had mine for about a week (personal camera) and absolutely love it. I'm shooting mostly the DA 300 and it's superb (replacing my 6D and 100-400 as my 'hanging by the back door wildlife camera').

I've got a preorder in for the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 which I think will be great on this camera.

In the meantime I'm making do with a Samyang 14mm, Sigma 50mm f/1.4. Really like the Samyang, OK with the Sigma.

The K3, for a fairly small camera, really fits my hands well, and I've found the menus very intuitive.
    Pentax K3...anybody notice? - FM Forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First one with the DA*200mm on ;-) ISO1600

Trygve
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PenSon View Post
    First one with the DA*200mm on ;-) ISO1600
    Not bad focus for out-of-the-box. Any observations would be most appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Test with the DA16-50. Used Iridient Developer for the RAW files.

Trygve
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

looks you have got a good sample. what fstop are these images?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fstops 16 and 18 on the images :-)

Fantastic display on the camera.

The setup for today pictures.

Last edited by PenSon; 4th January 2014 at 12:18.

Post Thanks / Like

Image from this morning. Just downright cold out there! -16F with a 25mph breeze. Anyway, I took this image and have no way to process it on this computer. Perhaps a little cold weather diversion for someone?
    Last edited by raycox; 6th January 2014 at 15:29. Reason: Seems as though the dng file did not upload. Too bad, nice image of a sunrise sundog!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, just recently got the K-3. I haven't had much of a chance to go out photographing, but have been experimenting with some other subjects, learning how to use the camera, and it is coming along. Here is a simple JPG backyard shot, hoping to get something going.

Where are the other K-3 users?

Attachment 79596
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    Where are the other K-3 users?
    Good question. Maybe the Sony A7 threads Pentax was very unlucky to have the K-3 and A7r released at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I think that all of the K3 users are here. But the camera works so good and is such a pleasure to use, I just don't think that there is much to say. Or especially complain about!
    Have really been enjoying using it in the studio for portraits.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I am interested in this K3 too. What is your experience with the K3 regarding:

1. White balance. Does the K3 nails WB exactly? Is it dead on? Or do you need to correct it afterwards in PP?

2. Colour accuracy. Is it dead on? With which slide film would you compare it? At which ISO colours starting to be less good?

3. AF speed & accuracy good enough for children? Also indoors in poor light - ISO 1600-6400. And is it better than K5II or the same?

4. Which Telezoom (70-200 range in FF) can handle the 24MP of the K3?

5. Which FFL 35mm (in FF) can handle the 24MP of the K3?

Any links to images that you have seen on the net are welcome.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This thread is sleeping, presumably everybody's having fun with their Sony A7s. Meanwhile, my K-3 has been proving its worth during last week's ski trip to Schladming, Austria. All photos with the new 20-40 limited lens. The lens copes well with the 24PM resolution, its only meaningful fault is fairly significant vignetting that doesn't go away so easily by stopping the lens down but that can of course be fixed in pp (still a bit of a let-down when one comes from the Leica world and expects lenses to be close to "perfect").

In response to 4711 above - re colour accuracy, it is whatever you set the camera to; there are so many settings possible in camera that this question is almost impossible to answer. For example, you can set the response to "reversal film", then the images come from the camera accordingly. When I leave the camera on Auto WB, it is usually fine but in certain situations (kids skiing in overcast weather, for instance) it sometimes needs a bit of help in pp. AF speed is fine, accuracy also, but children are a specific and difficult subject - I find the Olympus EM-1 or EM-5 faster, due to their face recognition / focus on nearest eye feature (this is of course possible only in Live View, so best implemented in an EVF type of camera; here the K-3 does live view but focusing in it is not as fast as in the Olympus cameras). As for the tele zooms, I don't have the answer but can vouch for the F*300/4.5 which is super sharp even wide open, and is small and compact. I have the FA 35/2; it can handle the 24MP sensor but, owing to the crop factor, that's not what 4711 is asking. I tried the FA*24/2 (which would be the equivalent of 35mm in FF) but I don't think it cuts it in the modern age, unfortunately - good contrast and lovely colours, but resolution is not there, especially wide open and even 1 stop from wide; also has quite a bit of purple fringing.

Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

@ baudolino,

love your photos from Schladming! Have spent there weeks doing snowboarding for several years till 5 years ago. Makes me feel want to get back there again soon!

Hope you enjoy your K3

Peter
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like

The 20-40 looks pretty nice, especially with that scenery!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

K3 with DA*200.

Trygve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

K3 with Mamiya 645 120mm Macro

Trygve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

K-3 with Pentax 100mm macro WR.

Trygve
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

K-3 with DA*200mm

Trygve
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing detail, Trygve
    But surely this must be a crop ?

All the very best.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is a crop. The butterfly is very small but center spot focus was the way to go
    Trygve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

K-3 with DA*200mm
    From a local airshow today

Trygve

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

After a long debate with myself I also finally ordered a K3 Which I will receive the next days.
    I have been using the K5iis for some time now, also other dslrs like the 5dIII and m43 (lately EM1).
    I thought the EM1 would be my small and fast camera-system of choice. Overall I think the lenses available for m43 are very good (IMO better than what is available for the Pentax). However a) I just cant get connected to EVF b) I prefer the IQ of the Pentax over m43 c) I get a better keeper rate with the Pentax (I think because I can see the subject as it is and not through an EVF. d) I like the user interface of the Pentax.

Main reason for me to get the K3 instead of K5IIs is the new AF with more AF points.

Compared to the EOS 5 I use the Pentax more often because of the smaller size of Pentax-lenses. I now often carry 15DA, 20-40 (most used lens), 50-135 and 31/1.8 when the light is low.

One thing I miss is a fast 35mm equivalent lens. 31 is a little too long for my taste. a 24/1.4 would be great.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

here are 2 images (k5iis-k3 is not yet here) from a trip to the north sea, netherlands (Schoorl).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    After a long debate with myself I also finally ordered a K3 Which I will receive the next days.
    I have been using the K5iis for some time now, also other dslrs like the 5dIII and m43 (lately EM1).
    I thought the EM1 would be my small and fast camera-system of choice. Overall I think the lenses available for m43 are very good (IMO better than what is available for the Pentax). However a) I just cant get connected to EVF b) I prefer the IQ of the Pentax over m43 c) I get a better keeper rate with the Pentax (I think because I can see the subject as it is and not through an EVF. d) I like the user interface of the Pentax.

Main reason for me to get the K3 instead of K5IIs is the new AF with more AF points.

Compared to the EOS 5 I use the Pentax more often because of the smaller size of Pentax-lenses. I now often carry 15DA, 20-40 (most used lens), 50-135 and 31/1.8 when the light is low.

One thing I miss is a fast 35mm equivalent lens. 31 is a little too long for my taste. a 24/1.4 would be great.
    Tom, what about the SIGMA 24mm f1.8 EX DG MACRO (for Pentax) ?

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Tom, what about the SIGMA 24mm f1.8 EX DG MACRO (for Pentax) ?

Kind regards.
    Is it supposed to be a good lens? I will do some research on it-thanks!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Tom
    I'm always tempted to go back, but it was the lenses which caused me grief.

Bart
    Do you have a K3 as well? Are you pleased with it?

It'll be decision time for me pretty soon.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tom,

actually this is an interesting decision - but a good one I guess. I am looking around for an optimal APSC solution/system since a while - maybe it could be Fuji X (XT1) or the Pentax K3. Sure the K3 offers OVF, but WRT lenses the Fuji is meanwhile better aligned overall. Not sure currently which I would prefer.

Anyway congratulations on your decision! Looking forward to your feedback here.

Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Hi Tom,

actually this is an interesting decision - but a good one I guess. I am looking around for an optimal APSC solution/system since a while - maybe it could be Fuji X (XT1) or the Pentax K3. Sure the K3 offers OVF, but WRT lenses the Fuji is meanwhile better aligned overall. Not sure currently which I would prefer.

Anyway congratulations on your decision! Looking forward to your feedback here.

Peter

Hi Peter
    have you given up on the Leica T?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Peter
    have you given up on the Leica T?
    No, Leica T is still ordered. And for the next future this will be my APSC camera - BUT might happen I get a XT1 additionally .... or K3 ?????

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it supposed to be a good lens? I will do some research on it-thanks!
    Well, looking at the specs I'd say it will do nicely on centre, but poorly elsewhere.
    I'm hoping Sigma will extent their ART-series for K-mount soon.

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Bart

all the best
    Decision time ? Again ...

No K3 for me, pretty happy with my K5 IIs.
    Actually waiting for the Next Gen K3 IIs or similar ...

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

HI Tom
    I'm always tempted to go back, but it was the lenses which caused me grief.

Bart

all the best
    I am pretty happy with the 20-40 Ltd. so far which is my main lens. ( I had used 2samples 16-50 where I was not so happy but my 20-40 seems good all over the range, and it handles very nice and the size is perfect for the K-bodies)
    The 50-135 also works quite well.
    The 15 needs to be stopped down to improve corners but very nice color and pop.
    And for lower light I use the 31/1.8.
    The 18-135 I don't use any more, the other lenses are just visibly better.

Still owning both the Pentax and the EM1 and I am also interested in the T. But I think the M is the better Leica for my needs, and the Pentax when the M is not fast enough.
    If I didn't have small kids it could be different.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

K3 arrived...I needed to do some focus fine adjustment for my lenses but other than that I have an excellent first impression. The K5IIs handles great and the K3 even better.
    Here one quick shot with the 31mm:, where I tested my focus setting
    The Pentax draw very saturated color .. so one has to be carefull to not blow reds with this camera (same for the k5iis).