The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lenses for the 645Z

D&A

Hi Jeff,

Guess I am late to this thread but you have been given some excellent advice with regards to Pentax 645 lenses. Early on with the advent of the release of the 645 D, I tested multiple samples of virtually all Pentax 645 AF lenses with that body and posted my comprehensive results here on Getdpi.

Subsequently in a part 2 of my lens testing, some time after my initial testing and posting of results, I tested the remaining newly released weather resitant lenses (25mm, 28-45, 90mm) as well as the manual focus 600 f5.6 with at least two samples of each of these. Finially with a borrowed 645z, I went back and tested many of these lenses. Of course the rendering of the two cameras were different but the results were essentually the same. A so-so sample in the corners with say a FA 35mm f3.5 on the 645D was still medicore when tested on a 645z.

I've been so consumed with work and other things that I never got around to posting these more recent results but have gladly provided my observations if asked. As others aptly pointed out, there is generally a marked improvement of performance with the new lenses and far less sample to same variability sans the 55 f2.8 and 25mm f4...the earlest two of this new grouping. Saes of both did vary in optical performance by auite a bit and others bore this out.

With regards to variability in lens samples, its very subjective from user to user. It greatly depends how one examines and uses their files and their personal expectations. I can only speak for myself but in testing I examined each file at actual pixels, corner to corner and also in crops of what would be equivelent to very sizeable large format prints since that is what was required for my particular use and needs.

Once again I don't have the link to the page on Getdpi where my comprehensive Pentax 645 lens test is posted but others here have always kindly provided it.

As for W&G, they are helarious and I would love if someone would post a simple list of all their (W&G's) available DVD's for purchase.

Thanks everyone!

Dave (D&A)

algrove

Back from Iceland where I used the 150/2.8 more than I had expected. Its images are outstanding in every respect. It is hard to explain the lenses abilities, but they have a mellow feeling when viewing on monitor, however sharp as a tack. I used f16 and f22 a lot. Even the 300/5.6 performed flawlessly when used.

Of course my go to lems was the 28-45 and it performed as expected-brilliantly. When using the 55/2.8 I could see its nice bite to images even on the LCD screen. The 75/2.8 images look every bit as good as any other lens. Barely used the 90/2.8 as it is so heavy and with the sometimes steep and/or long hiking demands of the trip, I had to leave something behind which usually ended up being the 90/2.8.

Due to fatigue after 3am wake ups and mignight to bed after sunsets, I took the 28-45, 75 and 150 toward the end of my exhausting 10 day camping trip to the Central Highlands. It has been a cpold summer so on some evenings under clear skies we were sleeping in -2 degree weather. When it rained then temps got all the way up to +5-7 degrees.

Uaiomex

Coverage of new lenses for the 645Z

I'd like to ask a few questions to those colleagues here with the Pentax 645 digital cameras.
I find the "digital-ready" new lenses expensive. Of course, it doesn't matter if the lenses are keepers for many years to come. My problem is that I am under the impression that these lenses only cover 44x33. If so, what will happen with these lenses when (if) Pentax comes with a bigger sensor for the 645 system?
My second question: Is there room for a bigger sensor, mirror box and bigger viewfinder in a body size like the current D and Z?
Ok, by now you figured it out what my intensions and hopes are. Nothing new under the sun, anyway.
Thanks in advance guys
Eduardo