The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PENTAX FF - Spring 2016

Lars

Looking at the prism housing from all available angles, there doesn't seem to be a pop-up flash. If Pentax is true to their traditions, the camera will be as small as practically possible. Still, I doubt that it will be much smaller/lighter than the D750. If it is, and it does have an EVF option, it's a challenge for Sony as well as for Canikon. If it shoots 4K video too, it'll be a runaway success.

All of this is technically possible to do, and Pentax already knows how to do IBIS. While I doubt Pentax will make the management at any of the large camera brands nervous overnight, they are able to make a stir, and Ricoh is a sizable corporation with net sales last year of USD 18.6 billion.
Let's hope for a stir then. Just not expecting to see a row of Pentax lenses at the next Olympics track & field.

Hulyss Bowman

If this is what you think it is, it's a very interesting development indeed. This is a camera that I will follow very closely in any case. Although there's a limited selection available, Pentax makes some of the best. It would be nice too if Zeiss went back to making the Milvus series in K-mount. If not, there are still used copies of the ZK lenses available.
Hello Jorgen,

Yes I think really hard it is an EVF plug. I don't see why Pentax would go NOW into an another flash system, or just a flash system who use this kind of plug. So for me it is an EVF plug, probably because RICOH thought it would be wise to to it. Also, if this DSLR have video (I think it will have VERY good video) the EVF will be somehow useful. See the future Pentax EVF as the VF of the new XF from PhaseOne. It will ve very good for video.

Interesting stuff, and I really hope Pentax pulls this off with commercial success. Seriously doubt that any of the large manufacturers would tremble with fear over this though - Pentax needs to strengthen its brand visibility a lot for that to happen.
My latest unofficial infos tell me that the contact between RICOH and RED cinema is real. RICOH do not care about Nikon, who is a little company compared to. RICOH is roughly the equivalent of XEROX and CANON, far bigger company. From what I gathered, RICOH will put as much money as possible into Pentax as much as it fulfil their objectives. So it would be a mistake to see Pentax as a Sigma equivalent. Pentax is more a Canikon equivalent, as the date of today, if it is necessary. RICOH is developing one thing with Pentax : Digital imaging Still and Cinema market share and revenue. They lack their own sensor and own video specificity/department. It is why they want to have kind of unique sensor and/or video expertise.

To return to your phrase, if RICOH team with RED, let say ONLY for a video codec or compression, it will shake Canon and Sony big time because RED isn't slouch. If in + they use a RED sensor... sony will be forgotten and here is why:

This camera is the first Pentax digital Full frame DSLR. Pentax ain't SIGMA so we can expect a very bug free well rounded DSLR with superb IQ/ruggedness/ergonomy, to start with. This FF DSLR will be one of the most modern ever. RICOH/PENTAX had a very large time to see what work and what do not work in the other brands :)

Great... Here is me recently ranting about the advantages of EVFs on the Sony forum and now I see this Pentax DSLR and now may do a backflip from EVF to OVF.
Size, specs, price and of course IQ will be what we will be looking to see first.
If they do a unique IQ like the Foveon but at useful ISOs beyond say a 5D or D800 type machine they may find a niche.
No pop-up flash please on a professional body. I know Pentax are great at weathersealing so I'll be expecting that.
OVF is unique for composing. This OVF will be one hell of OVF in 35mm digital world. If there is an EVF option, it is win win for every body. For the IQ... I can only speculate ;) It will not be Foveon equivalent, that is sure. I think it will not be a Sony sensor either. Again, it's only speculation from my side but I always liked Pentax IQ, whatever sensor they used. So I would not worry that much about IQ :)

All in one, this OVF look that big because it is a Full Frame OVF instead of an APS-C OVF. For now, it do not seem to have a popup flash but sometimes edges can be tricky to spot if well integrated. I think there is no popup flash ;)

Also, the camera is just a little bit bigger than a K3/K5. Even if bigger than a K3/K5, it will be SMALLER than any 35mm DSLR to date. If none of you ever touched a K3, I would advise you to go in your local store to touch one :)

Stay tuned ! More new @ October 6th.

EDIT: If an EVF is possible, it will be used only with electronic shutter mode (so completely silent and vibration free) and video.

Last edited:

Hulyss Bowman

I also want to had that the future isn't into STILL images. To be more precise, future is in compression algorithm and very high definition video, in which you will be able to extract decent stills (thus the compression algorithm) or only shoot a still.

The future is also into social sharing or high speed sharing (no computer between your camera and internet, if necessary).

I do not know if any of you ever played with a .R3D video file ? If you look hard on the net you'll find some pieces of video to play with. Also, you can download for free the RED software here : https://www.red.com/downloads?category=Software&release=final

You can see there is a photoshop plugin to open .R3D ;)

But I'm going too wild with this, just test and forget. No way it will happen in this FF pentax DSLR. No ?? :LOL:

Lars

Hulyss,
I'm not doubting Pentax' competence or Ricoh's financial resources. But it takes both, and more, to build a truly competitive brand. I think we all remember the LX - best camera/system on the market at the time but never got the recognition it deserved. I still have mine in a closet somewhere.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
While I am eagerly waiting for this Pentax FF DSLR and have absolutely no doubt it will be very good or even excellent, I still do have some fear WRT the AF system and its speed. Their latest SAFOX incarnation (forgot the number) only had far AF points compared to Nikon as well as Canon top end DSLRs. My fear is it will take Pentax lot of effort and expertise (not only money) to develop AF systems at least on par with what Canikon already sell since years. And if rumors are true, the new AF system in the D5 which will be introduces in early 2016 is rumored to have something like 171 AF points. Plus a big number of AF points capable to focus down to EV-3 is pretty sure to be on board of these new DSLRs. Will Pentax be able to close this gap? I am not so sure.

I know AF is for sure not everything, but it is for many (including myself) a very important pice of the whole DSLR game. So I hope Pentax can really surprise here!

Hulyss Bowman

I think the AF will be a new SAFOX and that a new contrast AF will be implemented. It will not compete with top notch AF from Nikon but it will be good.

Thing is, you need auto tracking AF only for action scenes. Do you see a lot of action scenes on this forum, or other forum ? I see that photographers take time to shoot and compose.

Anyway, with the K5, the last pentax I used, I had no problem to track furious guys on stage during concert, so in low low light. I do not think the actual K3 SAFOX is that disastrous with moving subjects such as birds. It is not as smooth as a Nikon AF,even an old nikon AF (D700) but it is very ok.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think the AF will be a new SAFOX and that a new contrast AF will be implemented. It will not compete with top notch AF from Nikon but it will be good.

Thing is, you need auto tracking AF only for action scenes. Do you see a lot of action scenes on this forum, or other forum ? I see that photographers take time to shoot and compose.

Anyway, with the K5, the last pentax I used, I had no problem to track furious guys on stage during concert, so in low low light. I do not think the actual K3 SAFOX is that disastrous with moving subjects such as birds. It is not as smooth as a Nikon AF,even an old nikon AF (D700) but it is very ok.
There is hope :D

Tim

Here are the 9 actual FF Pentax lenses who will work with this camera :

FA 31mm f1.8 Limited
FA 35mm f2.0
FA 43mm f1.9 Limited
DFA 50mm f2.8 macro
FA 50mm f1.4
DA 50mm f1.8
FA 77mm f1.8 Limited
DFA 100mm f/2.8 macro
DA* 300mm f4

The bold ones are the one I value the most. I worked a lot with the 77 and it is a true gem. The 300f4 is a true gem too, especially in concert. I know the 43f1.9 is a very special lens and I really want it. Hopefully, Pentax prices are good prices. You can expect them to launch at least a wide angle lens to start.
these lenses are an interesting bunch.

The 43mm not that big and if the FF is close to the K3 then size will be compact.
Have a comparison here - http://camerasize.com/compact/#619.82,624.395,ha,t

Hulyss Bowman

these lenses are an interesting bunch.

The 43mm not that big and if the FF is close to the K3 then size will be compact.
Have a comparison here - http://camerasize.com/compact/#619.82,624.395,ha,t
Yes some pentax lenses are "Leica" sized. The 43mm is legendary because of his own rendering. Back in the days, a range finder version of it was made for leica shooters, just because this lens is kinda unique. Per say, the RF version is larger than the SLR version.
The FF will be a little bit bigger than the K3. With some limited lenses such as the 43mm, it will be the smallest FF dslr ever, smaller than the Df or D750.

Here is the RF version (bigger than the SLR version).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Actually the size factor is one of the appealing features I am looking for this new FF Pentax DSLR!

I am using (want to use) a FF camera as I am using my m43 EM1 - just FF! I need it for wildlife (the 150-450 should do perfect for that), for action, sports portrait (2.8/70-200 and 1.8/77 Limited) as well as some street and WA (the other Limited's should do that magic). I only ask for decent AF and I do hope that it will deliver!

I might add a K3II to this setup to get even more reach for wildlife and still be able to have nice 24MP ...

Sounds exciting!

Hulyss Bowman

Yea that "sound" exciting :p It would be good if it taste exciting too :D

I do not think you'll have the same compact and tactile experience than with your M43. I do not use M43 but I had some in hands and it is well made (the Oly ones). It will be compact, yes, but not as compact and without "retro style". I do not think pentax is in the retro style marketing road, more into the actual/futuristic design road, even if they keep traditional DSLR form factor.

I'm with you on the AF. This is not my priority personally, the one in the K5 is reliable, but if it is a very good one, I'll take :)

The 150-450 is already out and in stock in some European digital stores but we won't have "FF" review till next year,I fear. The 70-200 is not out yet.

The latest rumor say that the delay with this DSLR is due because they are implementing the Sony BSI sensor. Take that as a rumour. I think specs will be leaked start of October if stars and planets align correctly :)

Hulyss Bowman

It is a good zoom.

It will be the FF kit zoom, a Tamron re-badged lens. So yes, it is weather sealed, have Pentax marking but it is a Tamron lens.

The 70-200 is a full Pentax lens so you can expect a 24-70 * (star) lens later, as expensive as the 70-200 also :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Sounds very appealing!

Still not sure if this will be enough to attract many photographers to this camera/system and jumping ships.

algrove

The 645 adapter could attract 645 owners wanting some sort of backup being able to use their 645 lenses.

Hulyss Bowman

The last rumour is a gross photo-montage so I would not endorse it. I think, now, that we need to wait real Ricoh announcement.

algrove

I tortured one of the sample pictures and discovered a typical EVF plug. So maybe there is EVF in option ? Only time will tell :)

On a more serious note, this camera will use a "RGB high resolution mode". If it is real and true (probably), Sigma will have hard time to cope with that. This might be the end of Sigma DSLR and the end of foveon dream :(
Wonder if that might be a GPS plug similar to the one for the 645Z?