Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: PENTAX FF - Spring 2016

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: PENTAX FF - Spring 2016

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    The difference seen at Imaging Resource is quite striking.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...k3-iiTECH2.HTM
    I'll keep my 645Z for the moment, but at $1800 the FF K-1 is looking like great value.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    If multishot - AKA sensor shift, AKA pixel shift - as been properly implemented, you can expect close to double the resolution compared to single shot mode. A 36mp sensor in multi shot should thus equate to roughly around 60-70mp in single shot.

Better hope the lenses are up to it.
    I believe that Pentax is using Pixel shift to create a composite image that remains at 36 megapixels instead of creating a ~90 megapixel image. The point of their pixel shift is to get a read out of every element of the scene by at least one RGB pixel under the Bayer filter then create a composite 36 megapixel image from all read outs.

This creates more accurate and sharper images... Not too different to how some have used a panchromatic version of a scene blended with a color version of the same scene to increase perceived sharpness.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I believe that Pentax is using Pixel shift to create a composite image that remains at 36 megapixels instead of creating a ~90 megapixel image. The point of their pixel shift is to get a read out of every element of the scene by at least one RGB pixel under the Bayer filter then create a composite 36 megapixel image from all read outs.

This creates more accurate and sharper images... Not too different to how some have used a panchromatic version of a scene blended with a color version of the same scene to increase perceived sharpness.
    Correct, the composite image remains at 36 MP. As I understand it, in shift mode each pixel is exposed four times, twice through the green filter and once each through red and blue, measuring RGB vales at every pixel. The advantage of the Foveon achieved by a different mechanism.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly. What I should have written in my original message is double the effective resolution, because the result is a much sharper image free of moiré that, scaled up, will almost be a match for single shot with double the pixels. The same is true of 4 shot multishot with a Hasselblad H5D multishot camera. With multishot, the image is still 50mp, same as single shot capture, but bayer interpolation has been eliminated and true RGB info gereated at each pixel. Looks like the Pentax works in a similar way.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The multishotsamples are really impressive.( One could also say its impresive how washed out the fabric from the single/normal shot looks after seeing the multishot image.)
    I am loking forward to see more real world images from this camera. Even though I am comitted to other brands systems and not planning to switch, the K1 looks like an impressive camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a good companion to my XF/IQ180 when I need to travel light

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    The multishotsamples are really impressive.( One could also say its impresive how washed out the fabric from the single/normal shot looks after seeing the multishot image.)
    I am loking forward to see more real world images from this camera. Even though I am comitted to other brands systems and not planning to switch, the K1 looks like an impressive camera.
    Perhaps we can adapt our 645Z lenses to the K-1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Manual focus adapters are available. I have them for K mount and m4/3.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have pre-ordered the Pentax K1... I have not told my wife.

Though I should have saved the $1800 I could not talk myself out of the Pentax K1. It has everything I have been wanting from Pentax: Full Frame, GPS, Astrotracer, swivel/articulated LCD, better resolution, higher ISO capability...and.. well, most of you already know this stuff.

I already have the Three Amigos: 31mm, 43mm and 77mm Limited Lenses.. ready to go when the K1 arrives early in May... (delivery date is according to B&H staffer I spoke with.)

I love the fact that my DA* lenses will also work in cropped mode. Not sure I can think of anything else to ask for from the K1.... except maybe incredible low noise.

It's going to be fun. I've not updated my Pentax body since the K5 IIs
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Jim. I will be looking forward very much to hearing your thoughts on actually using this (and great lens choice, too).

I found out yesterday that the local (Australian) cost of the K-1 is very reasonable (US dollar price > converted to Aussie dollars > GST on top is within a hundred bucks of the US price). We pay GST on any service or goods, and if you have a GST-registered business like I do, you get this back).

Excellent decision by Pentax. The 43 is all I need (or perhaps the FA 50/1.4). May is so far away...

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I find this section super interesting :

http://k-1-lab.com/en/
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I popped into a local camera shop yesterday and they said that they have so many pre order's of the K1 that they do not expect to be able to fulfill them all with the first batch of cameras! And furthermore their projected second consignment will probably not be enough as to be able to put stock on the shelf!
    They are a Pentax pro dealer LCE branch fwiw and obviously I don't know the numbers or how this reflects in the wider world .
    I personally don't plan to be an early adopter so not an issue for me but I am very pleased to hear that this camera has a fighting chance comercialy and from everything I've learnt pre release it deserves to be imho.
    Regards
    Malcolm.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeap there will be less than people demand. But mine should be in my hand 4th or 5th of May

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A UK review posted high ISO downloadable files yesterday. They looked pretty stunning. The DR and ability to recover shadow detail pretty much seems to meet expectations and be a close match to the 645Z. The K1, with it's unique feature set, has the potential to cause some major ripples in the landscape and studio DSLR market just as the 645Z did with the DMF market.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wood View Post
    A UK review posted high ISO downloadable files yesterday. They looked pretty stunning. The DR and ability to recover shadow detail pretty much seems to meet expectations and be a close match to the 645Z. The K1, with it's unique feature set, has the potential to cause some major ripples in the landscape and studio DSLR market just as the 645Z did with the DMF market.
    It certainly is and interesting an remarkable camera. I saw some stunning photographs with it . I like the sturdyness of it and it is reasonable small as well!
    Also it is not expensive, but the thing is I only have one lens in K mount (Revuenon 55/1.2). The rebadged Tamron 15-30 seems to be the best dslr wide zoom at the moment, so that combo would be interesting for me, because I can't go wider as 35mm with my Z with my lenses. I am covered with the Z till 200mm, so a telezoom would also interest me. And I would even try the Samyang 24mm TS lens with it. Food for thoughts......
    I could leitax a lot of my C/Y lenses and use it with the Pentax focus conformation beeb like the Z does...... 18/4, 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.4, 85/2.8, 100/3.5 hum...... I could even put a M42 mount on the Planar 100/2 and the Distagon 35/1.4 and use a whole lot of M42 lenses on it.....

I do even know a shop around the corner who has them in stock.......

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is this the spiritual successor to the Sigma DP2 Merrill (size excepted)?

It's all about pixel shift.

I have no Pentax lenses but I have ordered a K1 to try, along with the budget 50mm F/1.8. I don't know why pixel shift is not the headline story, because using pixel shift transforms this from an interesting camera to a high resolution, low noise, moire free phenomenon.

I really hate bayer interpolation, It sucks the life out of shots. That's why I so loved the Merrills.

It follows that for me, this camera is a godsend.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

As an ex-Pentaxian, I'm pleased for my friends in the Pentax community that the company has finally brought the FF K-1 to market.

While I do still have an FA43 Limited (for my last remaining Pentax, a K-01 in bumblebee colors :-), and it is an outstanding lens in every way, I have no interest in buying back into Pentax gear at all; I already have everything I want in FF digital cameras (and FourThirds, and 6x6 film, and 35mm film, and ... sigh!).

I'm looking forward to seeing photographs made with the K-1. :-)

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is this the spiritual successor to the Sigma DP2 Merrill (size excepted)?

It's all about pixel shift.

I have no Pentax lenses but I have ordered a K1 to try, along with the budget 50mm F/1.8. I don't know why pixel shift is not the headline story, because using pixel shift transforms this from an interesting camera to a high resolution, low noise, moire free phenomenon.

I really hate bayer interpolation, It sucks the life out of shots. That's why I so loved the Merrills.

It follows that for me, this camera is a godsend.
    Good Quentin, it is about time we see some pic's here
    I am still thinking about it.....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hope lots of folks will buy it and put enormous pressure on Sony to deliver better cameras.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I hope lots of folks will buy it and put enormous pressure on Sony to deliver better cameras.
    Mate you disappointed with Sony cameras now?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Yes we can with the existing adapters for it. The smaller ones will be great on it, like the A35, FA or A 55, FA or A 75 and my A150.
    I would not hang the bigger ones on the lensmount.
    Last edited by Michiel Schierbeek; 16th May 2016 at 03:14.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek wants all those good qualitys, no AA filter, pixelshift, rise and fall, shift (Very little) etc in a smaller EVF body.
    It is already the smallest FF dslr body.

http://j.mp/1Q3fsGE#sthash.ocd2ThJD.dpuf

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As Michiel pointed out, Pentax (among many others, other than Sony) know how to get the best out of a Sony sensor.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    As Michiel pointed out, Pentax (among many others, other than Sony) know how to get the best out of a Sony sensor.
    I definitely like what Pentax is doing/did with the 645D/Z. I'm still waiting on the K-1 to get into the hands of more photographers to get a larger sample of images before making that statement outright. Can't say that I've been hugely disappointed by what's coming out of Sony cameras (although I dream of getting a larger sensor relatively soon from them.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've had the K1 now for a day, long enough to briefly test out its one unusual feature, pixel shift resolution enhancement. 100% crops.

First shot, no pixel shift

Second Shot, with pixel shift

About a 18-20mp difference (subjective). Fine detail is much better preserved. No moire either.

Mind you, decoded using the rubbish software that the camera comes with.

Hope I may get the chance to do a few more shots of more interesting subjects Tuesday.
    Quentin Bargate
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

looks very nice indeed, Quentin, thanks (unfortunately sold out by my dealer, 1 month waiting)
    thorkil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    looks very nice indeed, Quentin, thanks (unfortunately sold out by my dealer, 1 month waiting)
    thorkil
    Wondered where you had got to, Thorkil! lost in the unchartered waters of the Pentax forum...

I don't do much test photography but I made an exception with the K1.

Effectively a 55-60mp camera, but additionally with no moire, when used on a sturdy tripod in pixel shift mode. Very easy to use too.

Should get a 24-70mm today.

The bargain amongst modern high quality, high resolution SLRs
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ha-ha, thanks for your interest Quentin!!
    Just got stuck in life..or what is was, but actually never left the Forum here, just got a bit quiet, while others got a bit quiet too (except for the Sony forum). By the way, for my part, really don’t have intentions of looking at other Forums (FM etc.) even things for a period have slowed down a bit here, while I actually best like the appearance inside this site here, compared to others.
    Don’t use the GR that much anymore, but a rehearsal might be on its way (I certainly hope). Bought a Leica M-E, but actually don’t use it, I think I will sell it. Bought a Nikon D700, and it’s almost like coming home, its heavy, but it’s such a very nice feeling looking though that viewfinder, everything is just so easy, and I decided I must try to use it more than just at work.
    Human minds are tricky, even small rock on the road, for some, can make you change direction, or just hesitate. But it’s rather dangerous if hesitation get life-long…
    I think I have to stick to optical viewfinders, and although all the Sony people looks very skilled (and the camera might be that too...), then… (I never got a I-phone or mac either).
    But although the K-1 looks tempting, I have to beware, not just putting it on the shelf too (didn’t use the K-3 and K-5 that much.
    Looking forward to your pictures Quentin.
    Thorkil
    Last edited by Thorkil; 17th May 2016 at 21:55.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Quentin_Bargate;692034]

Effectively a 55-60mp camera, but additionally with no moire, when used on a sturdy tripod in pixel shift mode. /QUOTE]
    And the additional benefits of low noise due to multi frame combination perhaps?
    Nice one Quentin Keep going,I'm nearly over the edge
    Regards
    Malcolm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You will have to see for yourself when you buy one

But yes...
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few with the K1 and Pentax 24-70 F/2.8

I am not particularly impressed with the 24-70mm F/2.8 The lens is fair, but not top of the range.

The K1 is shaping up nicely, however.

All processed in ACR, some contrast added.
    Quentin Bargate
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

to my eye and brain they look very nice Quentin, "even" with the 24-70(!)().
    I have an issue growing upon me: How about the colours (???!!).
    I have tried to find samples around, and also looking at samples from the Fuji X-pro2, which I guess will look like the upcoming X-T2.
    A slight suspicion is growing upon me: are the colours of the K-1 are just a tiny tiny bit weird, (the colours of a pro2 looks more appeticing(?!)..hhmm).
    Is my brain just swollen and out of healthy judgement ???
    (your coach looked very nice colored though)
    Thorkil
    Last edited by Thorkil; 19th May 2016 at 12:24.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

PS colors are very hard to judge upon. Looking at the comparometer in Imaging Resource, but its just Jpg I guess, it looks like the K-1 is turning more blue color in the pictures compared to perhaps A7II, Canon 5DIII.
    Do you feel this?
    Thorkil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, thanks Quentin for the samples. The zoom kills the hype associated with the K1 for sure.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is starting to look good. Image quality seems to be more or less on par with the D810 at low ISO, and better at high ISO. The killer features are of course IBIS and pixel shift. Those features, the seemingly great ergonomics and the low price would make the K-1 a very interesting alternative to CaNiSon. Now we just have to wait for Zeiss to make Milvus lenses in K-mount
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The camera looks interesting. But which of the few Pentax lenses are up to the sensor's potential.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    The camera looks interesting. But which of the few Pentax lenses are up to the sensor's potential.
    Would venture a guess that the new Pentax 15-30mm will be a good match for the sensor (looking at some of Lloyd Chambers crops). The older Pentax FA* primes (31,41 & 77) will be wonderfully nostalgic, and do the trick.

Zeiss ZK's.....28/2, 25/2.8, 35/2, 50/2 MP will be a treat. Voigtlander had a crop of chipped PK mounts; 20/3.5 SLii, 40/2 SLii, 58/1.4, 90/3.5 macro, 125/2.5 macro and the 180/4. Curious to see how they match. My thoughts are that they will perform quite well (well maybe not the 20 and 40).

If Sigma and Pentax can mend ways......or Zeiss be lured back into producing PK mounts, then that will be the ticket.

I just ordered two Zuiko OM to PK conversion mounts from David Llado at Leitax for the 90/2 macro and the 35-80/2.8 ED zoom. I am positive they can outresolve the sensor.

Life is good.....for Pentaxians

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Tamron/Pentax 15-30 seems to be outstanding, even better as the Nikon 14-24/2.8 according to different testsites, but why the Pentax version, even without the in lens stabilisation, has to cost € 600,-- more then the Tamron version is a complete riddle to me. probably to make up for the "cheap"camera pricing.

The camera would do great with the (huge) Sigma Art lenses but so far only the 35 is available in PK mount and it is giving a scratch on the camera K-1 body and needs to be changed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Image quality seems to be more or less on par with the D810 at low ISO, and better at high ISO. The killer features are of course IBIS and pixel shift. Now we just have to wait for Zeiss to make Milvus lenses in K-mount
    On par - looks like it and that's without pixel shift. And the Ł700gbp saved to put towards something else.Think I'll pop over to the medium format section and pose the death of question, perhaps not (Tongue very firmly in cheek )
    features -yep, +the built in astrotracer,heck of a unique freebie I'd say.
    Zeiss-who? (Joking) but oranges are not the only fruit
    ,especially with inbuilt shake reduction.
    Happy days.
    Regards
    Malcolm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm very busy at the moment, but I hope to shoot some further samples with the K1 this weekend.

Jury is out on the death of medium format

It just needs sharp lenses...
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

... and talking of sharp lenses, the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 is very good, regardless of the fact that when mounted on the K1 the inner steel ring of the mount *just* touches the body.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The K1 with the Sigma 35mm F/1.4

The lens marginally just touches the body, although you wouldn't notice if Sigma had not told us.

Please, just forget the Pentax 24-70mm F/2.8 It's not up to the job.

Quentin Bargate
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Punch and dynamic range galore and sharp indeed I'd say Quentin.
    Nice.
    Have fun with the K1 and a great weekend .
    Regards
    Malcolm

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Please, just forget the Pentax 24-70mm F/2.8 It's not up to the job.
    [/IMG]
    Hello Quentin,

could you please be more specific about what you don't like ?

A review from PENTAXUSER, although biased perhaps, seems quite favourable: HD Pentax-D FA 24-70mm f/2.8 ED SDM WR Review

TIA

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi there

I can do even better and post comparisons a little later today.

Problem is the edges and contrast. I'm a pretty demanding guy and I expect the edges to give decent performance, particularly when moderately stopped down. Compared to a good prime lens like the Sigma 35mm F/1.4, it's smeared and soft. The centre is good, but that's just the centre 1/3. The outer 2/3 is not up to use on a high resolution sensor. For a zoom to give good results it has to be very well designed.

Not good enough, sorry
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

miss an important point in you test, does the cam fit into the glove box of an Aston?^^