The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PENTAX FF - Spring 2016

Hulyss Bowman

This might be news to you but every company is "about profit". In terms of what is defined as pro level or not, well that is up to the pro to determine. If a pro chooses to use an A7RII and achieves his desired outcome, then this makes his choice pro level.
This as nothing to do with pro or not. This as to do with premium. There is a world where people, like me, like to have premium items when they put the price on the table and they also know when they have crap in their hands (whatever the price they paid). That mean it have a certain price, yes, but also a brand reputation behind, an history and a superb craftsmanship. It is like Fiat wanting to make a Mercedes. The Fiat will never be a Mercedes even if there is plenty of new tech and if they price it the same to lure ppl ... Hasselblad Lunar anyone ??

New to me ?? I work with brands so no, it's not new to me to see ppl going cheapskate quality. There is a kind of ppl who like to buy some items to eventually transmit it and an another kind who are "after us ?? the apocalypse !!" and just care about themselves. Easy to spot nowadays.

How does this pixel-shift-thing work? Same as in the APS-c camera or is there something new?
Ok, back on topic. Yes it work the same as in the APS-C camera. It is precise because Pentax have experience with Astrotracking with the sensor so the movements are perfect. They only implemented a new function to spot "things in movement" during the exposure and taking care of it via algorithms. I do not know yet how this is efficient in landscape but we will know it pretty soon.

foveon

do you have any experience with the shift in APS-c cam?
What I remember its on the road for a while but it didnt change the camera market or at least kill Sigma^^

Hulyss Bowman

I do not have any more Pentax gear but some friends do and seems to have a lot of fun with their K3II. It is simple: When I lend them some Sigma cameras they are curious about it, test it a bit, are "wowed" 5 minutes on screen, then return to their K3 and forget about Sigma. In the other hand, when I lend them a D810 then things suddenly change. Then they look at the price ... + lenses ... and sadly return to the K3, resigned.

Now they have the K1 and they are VERY excited. Pentax users do not care that much about "foveon" quality. For them pixel shift is a cool option but not a necessity (for every other shooters too).

I personally do not care that much about foveon quality anymore :)

Foveon was cool with DP because of semi leïca feeling in the IQ. Some ppl are right to want it simply with an EVF or a RF for street snap in B&W, even at High iso. But need a perfect manual focus implementation, not focus by wire...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
In the other hand, when I lend them a D810 then things suddenly change. Then they look at the price ... + lenses ... and sadly return to the K3, resigned.

Now they have the K1 and they are VERY excited. Pentax users do not care that much about "foveon" quality. For them pixel shift is a cool option but not a necessity (for every other shooters too).
One thing that should be mentioned though is that the D810 is for sure (much) more expensive than the K1, but is you start comparing lenses like the 2.8 zooms from 15 to 200mm, this becomes a totally different perspective again. These prices look pretty high for non IS lenses IMHO. Not talking about optical quality because I do not have any references here.

Hulyss Bowman

One thing that should be mentioned though is that the D810 is for sure (much) more expensive than the K1, but is you start comparing lenses like the 2.8 zooms from 15 to 200mm, this becomes a totally different perspective again. These prices look pretty high for non IS lenses IMHO. Not talking about optical quality because I do not have any references here.
Yes, a complete and efficient lens line is something who reassure some users. To be honest, 95% of the forum readers and participants do not have enough money to buy a full range of focal length and ends up with one/two primes + some zooms but nothing in the league of an agency photographer needs.

At a IQ level, to be honest again, I think Tamron have nothing to envies to Sigma, at all. They even copied the Sigma dock (but with more style). The Tamron's SP primes are stabilized, superb optically speaking and weather sealed. Sigma are only optically superb. For now, Pentax is completely covered by Tamron and I think it is also Tamron's plan to counterstrike Sigma on K mount.

So, at a lens level I really do not worry that much about what can be mounted on the K1 for superior IQ. This need some research for now but here is a simple little example ... :

SLR Lenses, DSLR Lenses | B&H Photo Video

foveon

...a complete and efficient lens line...
an important point for a DP shooter^^

but seriously,long time ago I shot my RTSII 90% with the 45 lense, or my F3 with the 28/2, or my Mamiyas with the 180, better 1 good lense than 5 others, and there is allways the Addidas-zoom^^

turtle

Indeed the prices are hight, but:

a) I suspect prices for Pentax's Tamronalikes will come down significantly, and;
b) third party manufacturers will soon drop K mounts onto existing lens designs forcing healthy competition and opening up a much larger stable of lenses.

It appears likely that Pentax has an agreement with Tamron about non-competition, but this may only be for certain lens types and not all types. Then we have Sigma....

Yes, a complete and efficient lens line is something who reassure some users. To be honest, 95% of the forum readers and participants do not have enough money to buy a full range of focal length and ends up with one/two primes + some zooms but nothing in the league of an agency photographer needs.
SLR Lenses, DSLR Lenses | B&H Photo Video
Is 'agency photographer' a job that even exists anymore? I think there is little doubt that the K-1 is targeted at people who DON'T need a Nikon D5 and everything that goes with that. Otherwise they could just buy the CaNikon. But Pentax currently satisfies every focal length from 15-450mm via zooms and has a smattering of primes. No one would claim that they don't have a lot of updating to do. But I work professionally here in NYC and few of my peers care much about having more than 4-5 lenses, and of those they use 1-2 a lot. I shoot weddings with 2 bodies and a Rolleiflex and I never change lenses, and neither lens is a zoom. I could get by perfectly well with the 43 and 77mm for 99% of my weddings in a given year. I only keep one zoom as a back up. Point being that I don't see why people always ask the brand that is doing something 'different' to simply BE Canon or Nikon. Sony has plenty of lenses available for the FE system, but now they have no less than 2 24-70s and 70-200s available for photographers that simply should have bought a CaNikon if that's what they needed!

Tim

I do not have any more Pentax gear but some friends do and seems to have a lot of fun with their K3II. It is simple: When I lend them some Sigma cameras they are curious about it, test it a bit, are "wowed" 5 minutes on screen, then return to their K3 and forget about Sigma. In the other hand, when I lend them a D810 then things suddenly change. Then they look at the price ... + lenses ... and sadly return to the K3, resigned.

I personally do not care that much about foveon quality anymore :)

Foveon was cool with DP because of semi leïca feeling in the IQ. Some ppl are right to want it simply with an EVF or a RF for street snap in B&W, even at High iso. But need a perfect manual focus implementation, not focus by wire...
I have enjoyed Foveon quality, but it comes at a cost of limiting some things you can do. High ISO in B/W only etc.
The Merrill gave us tack sharp files with immense detail at a low $$ cost, but a cost of having to adapt to the camera. Slow focus, poor battery etc.
As some have commented, the DP3 is not always a great portrait camera from the IQ, so its a horse that can't win every race.
I will keep the Merrill, sometimes it comes out for nostalgia and other times to do a job of high res that it does well.

So we look at other alternatives for other jobs.
I think the K1 is worth an explore, but I am like your friends where price of body and lenses is an important question.
Right now I cannot afford A7rII and three lenses, so the K1 is of interest but I have to adapt. Bigger camera, DSLR.

bensonga

All things considered, as a Pentax 645D, Nikon D800e, Canon and Sigma DP Merrill etc shooter, the only feature of the K-1 that really interests me is the IQ benefit of the pixel shift technology. What surprises me is how few posts, information or enthusiasm I've been able to find on this forum for this same technology in the Pentax K-3 II. I wonder why that is. Does anyone here have experience with pixel shift on the K-3 II? If you would like to share some thoughts on how good it is, that would be of real interest re the K-1. It is the only reason I would consider buying a K-1.

In the meantime, I'm tempted to buy a K-3 II and 43mm Limited lens, just to try this technology out and see if the promised IQ is really there. Checking the prices, I'm amazed at how inexpensive the Pentax 35mm gear is.

Gary

viablex1

I am very interested in this camera what is a good piece of K glass to start with? can you use the 6X7 lenses on this camera? I know next to nothing about the glass etc

Quentin_Bargate

If multishot - AKA sensor shift, AKA pixel shift - as been properly implemented, you can expect close to double the resolution compared to single shot mode. A 36mp sensor in multi shot should thus equate to roughly around 60-70mp in single shot.

Better hope the lenses are up to it.