The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PENTAX FF - Spring 2016

Godfrey

As an ex-Pentaxian, I'm pleased for my friends in the Pentax community that the company has finally brought the FF K-1 to market.

While I do still have an FA43 Limited (for my last remaining Pentax, a K-01 in bumblebee colors :), and it is an outstanding lens in every way, I have no interest in buying back into Pentax gear at all; I already have everything I want in FF digital cameras (and FourThirds, and 6x6 film, and 35mm film, and ... sigh!).

I'm looking forward to seeing photographs made with the K-1. :)

G

Michiel Schierbeek

Is this the spiritual successor to the Sigma DP2 Merrill (size excepted)?

It's all about pixel shift.

I have no Pentax lenses but I have ordered a K1 to try, along with the budget 50mm F/1.8. I don't know why pixel shift is not the headline story, because using pixel shift transforms this from an interesting camera to a high resolution, low noise, moire free phenomenon.

I really hate bayer interpolation, It sucks the life out of shots. That's why I so loved the Merrills.

It follows that for me, this camera is a godsend.
Good Quentin, it is about time we see some pic's here :)
I am still thinking about it.....

V

Vivek

I hope lots of folks will buy it and put enormous pressure on Sony to deliver better cameras. :)

iiiNelson

As Michiel pointed out, Pentax (among many others, other than Sony) know how to get the best out of a Sony sensor.
I definitely like what Pentax is doing/did with the 645D/Z. I'm still waiting on the K-1 to get into the hands of more photographers to get a larger sample of images before making that statement outright. Can't say that I've been hugely disappointed by what's coming out of Sony cameras (although I dream of getting a larger sensor relatively soon from them.)

Quentin_Bargate

I've had the K1 now for a day, long enough to briefly test out its one unusual feature, pixel shift resolution enhancement. 100% crops.

First shot, no pixel shift

Second Shot, with pixel shift

About a 18-20mp difference (subjective). Fine detail is much better preserved. No moire either.

Mind you, decoded using the rubbish software that the camera comes with.

Hope I may get the chance to do a few more shots of more interesting subjects Tuesday.

Quentin_Bargate

looks very nice indeed, Quentin, thanks (unfortunately sold out by my dealer, 1 month waiting)
thorkil
Wondered where you had got to, Thorkil! lost in the unchartered waters of the Pentax forum...

I don't do much test photography but I made an exception with the K1.

Effectively a 55-60mp camera, but additionally with no moire, when used on a sturdy tripod in pixel shift mode. Very easy to use too.

Should get a 24-70mm today.

The bargain amongst modern high quality, high resolution SLRs

Thorkil

:) ha-ha, thanks for your interest Quentin!!
Just got stuck in life..or what is was, but actually never left the Forum here, just got a bit quiet, while others got a bit quiet too (except for the Sony forum). By the way, for my part, really don’t have intentions of looking at other Forums (FM etc.) even things for a period have slowed down a bit here, while I actually best like the appearance inside this site here, compared to others.
Don’t use the GR that much anymore, but a rehearsal might be on its way (I certainly hope). Bought a Leica M-E, but actually don’t use it, I think I will sell it. Bought a Nikon D700, and it’s almost like coming home, its heavy, but it’s such a very nice feeling looking though that viewfinder, everything is just so easy, and I decided I must try to use it more than just at work.
Human minds are tricky, even small rock on the road, for some, can make you change direction, or just hesitate. But it’s rather dangerous if hesitation get life-long…
I think I have to stick to optical viewfinders, and although all the Sony people looks very skilled (and the camera might be that too...), then… (I never got a I-phone or mac either).
But although the K-1 looks tempting, I have to beware, not just putting it on the shelf too (didn’t use the K-3 and K-5 that much.
Looking forward to your pictures Quentin.
Thorkil

Last edited:

MalcolmP

Effectively a 55-60mp camera, but additionally with no moire, when used on a sturdy tripod in pixel shift mode. /QUOTE]
And the additional benefits of low noise due to multi frame combination perhaps?
Nice one Quentin ;) Keep going,I'm nearly over the edge :grin:
Regards
Malcolm

Quentin_Bargate

A few with the K1 and Pentax 24-70 F/2.8

I am not particularly impressed with the 24-70mm F/2.8 The lens is fair, but not top of the range.

The K1 is shaping up nicely, however.

All processed in ACR, some contrast added.

Thorkil

to my eye and brain they look very nice Quentin, "even" with the 24-70(!):)p).
I have an issue growing upon me: How about the colours (???!!).
I have tried to find samples around, and also looking at samples from the Fuji X-pro2, which I guess will look like the upcoming X-T2.
A slight suspicion is growing upon me: are the colours of the K-1 are just a tiny tiny bit weird, (the colours of a pro2 looks more appeticing(?!)..hhmm).
Is my brain just swollen and out of healthy judgement ???
(your coach looked very nice colored though)
Thorkil

Last edited:

Thorkil

PS colors are very hard to judge upon. Looking at the comparometer in Imaging Resource, but its just Jpg I guess, it looks like the K-1 is turning more blue color in the pictures compared to perhaps A7II, Canon 5DIII.
Do you feel this?
Thorkil

V

Vivek

Well, thanks Quentin for the samples. The zoom kills the hype associated with the K1 for sure.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This is starting to look good. Image quality seems to be more or less on par with the D810 at low ISO, and better at high ISO. The killer features are of course IBIS and pixel shift. Those features, the seemingly great ergonomics and the low price would make the K-1 a very interesting alternative to CaNiSon. Now we just have to wait for Zeiss to make Milvus lenses in K-mount :D