The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PENTAX FF - Spring 2016

Rich M

The camera looks interesting. But which of the few Pentax lenses are up to the sensor's potential.
Would venture a guess that the new Pentax 15-30mm will be a good match for the sensor (looking at some of Lloyd Chambers crops). The older Pentax FA* primes (31,41 & 77) will be wonderfully nostalgic, and do the trick.

Zeiss ZK's.....28/2, 25/2.8, 35/2, 50/2 MP will be a treat. Voigtlander had a crop of chipped PK mounts; 20/3.5 SLii, 40/2 SLii, 58/1.4, 90/3.5 macro, 125/2.5 macro and the 180/4. Curious to see how they match. My thoughts are that they will perform quite well (well maybe not the 20 and 40).

If Sigma and Pentax can mend ways......or Zeiss be lured back into producing PK mounts, then that will be the ticket.

I just ordered two Zuiko OM to PK conversion mounts from David Llado at Leitax for the 90/2 macro and the 35-80/2.8 ED zoom. I am positive they can outresolve the sensor. :)

Life is good.....for Pentaxians :cool:

Michiel Schierbeek

The Tamron/Pentax 15-30 seems to be outstanding, even better as the Nikon 14-24/2.8 according to different testsites, but why the Pentax version, even without the in lens stabilisation, has to cost € 600,-- more then the Tamron version is a complete riddle to me. probably to make up for the "cheap"camera pricing.

The camera would do great with the (huge) Sigma Art lenses but so far only the 35 is available in PK mount and it is giving a scratch on the camera K-1 body and needs to be changed.

MalcolmP

Image quality seems to be more or less on par with the D810 at low ISO, and better at high ISO. The killer features are of course IBIS and pixel shift. Now we just have to wait for Zeiss to make Milvus lenses in K-mount :D
On par - looks like it and that's without pixel shift. And the £700gbp saved to put towards something else.Think I'll pop over to the medium format section and pose the death of question, perhaps not;) (Tongue very firmly in cheek )
features -yep, +the built in astrotracer,heck of a unique freebie I'd say.
Zeiss-who? (Joking) but oranges are not the only fruit
,especially with inbuilt shake reduction.
Happy days.
Regards
Malcolm

Quentin_Bargate

I'm very busy at the moment, but I hope to shoot some further samples with the K1 this weekend.

Jury is out on the death of medium format :confused:

It just needs sharp lenses...

Quentin_Bargate

... and talking of sharp lenses, the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 is very good, regardless of the fact that when mounted on the K1 the inner steel ring of the mount *just* touches the body.

Quentin_Bargate

The K1 with the Sigma 35mm F/1.4

The lens marginally just touches the body, although you wouldn't notice if Sigma had not told us.

Please, just forget the Pentax 24-70mm F/2.8 It's not up to the job.

MalcolmP

Punch and dynamic range galore and sharp indeed I'd say Quentin.
Nice.
Have fun with the K1 and a great weekend .
Regards
Malcolm

Quentin_Bargate

Hi there

I can do even better and post comparisons a little later today.

Problem is the edges and contrast. I'm a pretty demanding guy and I expect the edges to give decent performance, particularly when moderately stopped down. Compared to a good prime lens like the Sigma 35mm F/1.4, it's smeared and soft. The centre is good, but that's just the centre 1/3. The outer 2/3 is not up to use on a high resolution sensor. For a zoom to give good results it has to be very well designed.

Not good enough, sorry :thumbdown:

tsjanik

Hi there

I can do even better and post comparisons a little later today.

Problem is the edges and contrast. I'm a pretty demanding guy and I expect the edges to give decent performance, particularly when moderately stopped down. Compared to a good prime lens like the Sigma 35mm F/1.4, it's smeared and soft. The centre is good, but that's just the centre 1/3. The outer 2/3 is not up to use on a high resolution sensor. For a zoom to give good results it has to be very well designed.

Not good enough, sorry :thumbdown:
Quentin:

Perhaps the 28-105mm may have been more to your liking. This report indicates good corner sharpness from 28mm to 70mm.

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/hd-pentax-d-fa-28-105mm-f-3-5-5-6-ed-dc-wr-lens-review-29352

Tom