The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PENTAX FF - Spring 2016

Hulyss Bowman

I tortured one of the sample pictures and discovered a typical EVF plug. So maybe there is EVF in option ? Only time will tell :)

On a more serious note, this camera will use a "RGB high resolution mode". If it is real and true (probably), Sigma will have hard time to cope with that. This might be the end of Sigma DSLR and the end of foveon dream :(

V

Vivek

The EVF possibility looks interesting (something Canon and Nikon could have done, a while ago). Another curiosity for me is the type of Sony sensor that is going to be used.

Sigma SD1 made history for perhpas the least number of DSLRs ever sold. :( they did themselves in.

I think the new Pentax DSLR would be excellent like the nikon D810 astro cam. Limited sales for the connoisseur and those with special applications needs.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I absolutely do not understand why Nikon and Canon have not added such an EVF possibility already years ago! Even Leica who are known for being rather slow introduced that to their M240 back in 2012! This is a real shame on C/N :cool:

Anyway the FF Pentax looks promising and while I might not jump on one as I most probably will stay in Nikon FF land, I welcome very much the competition by another big vendor who can help to mix up the market - and through Ricoh Pentax can really do that!

Hulyss Bowman

For now we can't say it will be a Sony sensor, at all. And we can't say it will have tremendous amount of pixels. What we can say is that it will be at a very good price, build like a tank, very weather sealed. This camera will shake Nikon and Canon. Not Sony with the A7. Here we have a big company who land on Canikon kindergarten, FF dslr, but at today sauce. For the lenses there is some already but more will come. I can't wait to see some pics with the 43 mm...

Seriously, this might be my next camera.

Do not forget that Pentax also use Samsung sensors and Samsung sensors was/are pretty cool, especially in colour response (the k7, for example).

Some read about limited lenses :)

Lessons from a Legendary Lens Designer | Photographic Ideals, Basic Principles | The Northcoast Photographer

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Do not forget that Pentax also use Samsung sensors and Samsung sensors was/are pretty cool, especially in colour response (the k7, for example).
Samsung use Sony sensors (NX mini). Pentax/Ricoh dumped Samsung a long time ago. You have to be a bit realistic. If you want serious non Sony cameras, your only current option is Canon. Not Nikon and definitely not Ricoh. :)

Knorp

Really too bad I've 'lost' all of mine fine full frame (FA) lenses; 17/4.0 fish-eye, 20/2.8, 28/3.5 shift, 35/2.0, 50/1.2, 77/1.8, 135/2.8
Otherwise I would be very tempted indeed.
Alas ... :cry:

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It will be especially interesting to see how Canon / Nikon will react to this competition.

If Ricoh / Pentax play it wisely, they also launch some great new FF lenses (fixed and zoom) to supplement the rather limited FF lens lineup.

And FF IBIS which is almost a given to come in the Pentax will be quite a unique feature. If they combine this with the A7RII 42MP BSI sensor and the EVF option and 4k video, this should add up to a pretty competitive offering ;)

Hulyss Bowman

Yes, new lenses are coming too. Some limited lenses have been reworked. This camera get me more excited than any actual Sony A7. Got the same excitement when Sony announced the A900 just because of the OVF. This OVF will be very cool :)

It will be just a new system so I do not expect to adapt other lenses on it. Thing is that it is possible that this camera will be good at video too. A real combo with some superb legacy lenses and good DNG out of the box. With DNG, no need other raw converter than PS.

Can't wait to know more about it :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Yes, new lenses are coming too. Some limited lenses have been reworked. This camera get me more excited than any actual Sony A7. Got the same excitement when Sony announced the A900 just because of the OVF. This OVF will be very cool :)

It will be just a new system so I do not expect to adapt other lenses on it. Thing is that it is possible that this camera will be good at video too. A real combo with some superb legacy lenses and good DNG out of the box. With DNG, no need other raw converter than PS.

Can't wait to know more about it :)
DNG - yes of course! Have completely forgotten about that! One of the very cool features I liked about my K5s :cool:

Hulyss Bowman

DNG - yes of course! Have completely forgotten about that! One of the very cool features I liked about my K5s :cool:
Yes a lot of ppl forget about that. I'm probably ignorant but I think only Leica is DNG too. Of course Pentax have his PEF format.

Here are the 9 actual FF Pentax lenses who will work with this camera :

FA 31mm f1.8 Limited
FA 35mm f2.0
FA 43mm f1.9 Limited
DFA 50mm f2.8 macro
FA 50mm f1.4
DA 50mm f1.8
FA 77mm f1.8 Limited
DFA 100mm f/2.8 macro
DA* 300mm f4

The bold ones are the one I value the most. I worked a lot with the 77 and it is a true gem. The 300f4 is a true gem too, especially in concert. I know the 43f1.9 is a very special lens and I really want it. Hopefully, Pentax prices are good prices. You can expect them to launch at least a wide angle lens to start.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Yes a lot of ppl forget about that. I'm probably ignorant but I think only Leica is DNG too. Of course Pentax have his PEF format.

Here are the 9 actual FF Pentax lenses who will work with this camera :

FA 31mm f1.8 Limited
FA 35mm f2.0
FA 43mm f1.9 Limited
DFA 50mm f2.8 macro
FA 50mm f1.4
DA 50mm f1.8
FA 77mm f1.8 Limited
DFA 100mm f/2.8 macro
DA* 300mm f4

The bold ones are the one I value the most. I worked a lot with the 77 and it is a true gem. The 300f4 is a true gem too, especially in concert. I know the 43f1.9 is a very special lens and I really want it. Hopefully, Pentax prices are good prices. You can expect them to launch at least a wide angle lens to start.
Thanks for this list! Makes life easier :D

I never shot the 77 or the 43 but have heard a lot of positive feedback from people who used it. Great that you confirm that too!

But obviously also the new 2.8/70-200 and the 4.5-5.6/150-450 are covering 35mm FF. Both would be fix starters for me, especially the 150-450 as I would need this for wildlife!

Hulyss Bowman

Ok guys, I come with a little more infos. I was roaming the web, seeking servers breaches and infos everywhere. Then I ran into a "rumour" who got me excited even more. On Pentax forum I seen the speech between two guys. One I do not know but the other one, I know him. It is a very solid/reliable source of informations on French forums, someone who can be trusted since at least a decade.

The rumour is about RICOH speaking with RED, yea, just that. My little finger tell me that it is probably true. Now, thinking it have something to do with the upcoming FF would be pretty bold statement... but who know ? :p

If true, and if RICOH team with RED at some levels... then SONY and CANON will have some serious competition and cold sweat. It is normal for RICOH to make money, as a big company.

Only future will tell :) Meanwhile I continue to dig the net to find a source.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Ok guys, I come with a little more infos. I was roaming the web, seeking servers breaches and infos everywhere. Then I ran into a "rumour" who got me excited even more. On Pentax forum I seen the speech between two guys. One I do not know but the other one, I know him. It is a very solid/reliable source of informations on French forums, someone who can be trusted since at least a decade.

The rumour is about RICOH speaking with RED, yea, just that. My little finger tell me that it is probably true. Now, thinking it have something to do with the upcoming FF would be pretty bold statement... but who know ? :p

If true, and if RICOH team with RED at some levels... then SONY and CANON will have some serious competition and cold sweat. It is normal for RICOH to make money, as a big company.

Only future will tell :) Meanwhile I continue to dig the net to find a source.
Would indeed be really cool! Please keep digging .... and posting :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I tortured one of the sample pictures and discovered a typical EVF plug. So maybe there is EVF in option ? Only time will tell :)

On a more serious note, this camera will use a "RGB high resolution mode". If it is real and true (probably), Sigma will have hard time to cope with that. This might be the end of Sigma DSLR and the end of foveon dream :(
If this is what you think it is, it's a very interesting development indeed. This is a camera that I will follow very closely in any case. Although there's a limited selection available, Pentax makes some of the best. It would be nice too if Zeiss went back to making the Milvus series in K-mount. If not, there are still used copies of the ZK lenses available.

Lars

Interesting stuff, and I really hope Pentax pulls this off with commercial success. Seriously doubt that any of the large manufacturers would tremble with fear over this though - Pentax needs to strengthen its brand visibility a lot for that to happen.

Tim

Great... Here is me recently ranting about the advantages of EVFs on the Sony forum and now I see this Pentax DSLR and now may do a backflip from EVF to OVF.

Size, specs, price and of course IQ will be what we will be looking to see first.

If they do a unique IQ like the Foveon but at useful ISOs beyond say a 5D or D800 type machine they may find a niche.
No pop-up flash please on a professional body. I know Pentax are great at weathersealing so I'll be expecting that.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Looking at the prism housing from all available angles, there doesn't seem to be a pop-up flash. If Pentax is true to their traditions, the camera will be as small as practically possible. Still, I doubt that it will be much smaller/lighter than the D750. If it is, and it does have an EVF option, it's a challenge for Sony as well as for Canikon. If it shoots 4K video too, it'll be a runaway success.

All of this is technically possible to do, and Pentax already knows how to do IBIS. While I doubt Pentax will make the management at any of the large camera brands nervous overnight, they are able to make a stir, and Ricoh is a sizable corporation with net sales last year of USD 18.6 billion.

Tim

Its something I've never bothered to think about before, but if you want both EVF and OVF in a DSLR you have to make it a DSLR in the first place and add a EVF.
/obvious statement.

You can't of course add a flappy mirror to a Sony A7 after the fact.

You could ask (argue?) that it would be nice to have the EVF as an overlay to the DSLR OVF rather than a plugin module like the X100 has, but now I am getting greedy.