The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax-A 645 35mm f/3.5 vs Canon 35mm f/1.4 vs Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art

NoBob

Hi,

Does anyone know how these three lenses compare, especially in terms of sharpness and distortion?

Thanks.

Charles Wood

I'm not that familiar with the Canon and Sigma prime lenses, so I can't comment. Used on a FF body with an adapter, the Pentax 35mm (a medium format lens) will be extremely sharp between F8-F13 with almost non-existent distortion, and good examples have been rated as outstanding. I used it periodically on a Canon 5D2 and it outperformed at 35mm focal lengths, my 17-40 Canon L lens but only in the F8-F13 range. It is a bit soft wide open and begins to sharpen at F5 or so.

FWIW, one of the major issues with my example of the Pentax 645 35mm is flare when shooting towards the sun or bight lights.

NoBob

Thanks Charles,

Could the flare be coming from the adapter? I haven't seen too many user reviews that mention flare.

The Fotodiox Pro I use caused flare until I painted it with ultra-flat black paint.

Last edited:

Charles Wood

Thanks Charles,

Could the flare be coming from the adapter? I haven't seen too many user reviews that mention flare.

The Fotodiox Pro I use caused flare until I painted it with ultra-flat black paint.
Unfortunately, no. It flares badly on my 645Z, whereas the Pentax 645 28-45mm zoom matches it or betters it, looks like a prime at virtually all focal lengths and exhibits almost no flare whatsoever, even when pointed directly at the sun. An amazing lens as it ought to be for the price. Thankfully, it's easy to rent.

turtle

Agreed. I have both the 35mm A and the 28-45.

The 35mm A is superb when stopped down to landscape apertures, but it is an older lens with older coatings. Flare is the result when provoked. Considering how it performs on the 645Z I have no Canon lenses that I think perform any better, if you are thinking of adapting one for Canon use. That said, I think the hassle is probably not work it. Another lens you may wish to consider is the 35mm f2 IS which is blinding. If you don't need f1.4, it makes the most sense of them all IMO.

Unfortunately, no. It flares badly on my 645Z, whereas the Pentax 645 28-45mm zoom matches it or betters it, looks like a prime at virtually all focal lengths and exhibits almost no flare whatsoever, even when pointed directly at the sun. An amazing lens as it ought to be for the price. Thankfully, it's easy to rent.

Paul2660

The Sigma 35 1.4 is an excellent lens, period. It has very low coma wide open, and also has minimal CA. I only wish Sigma made the 20mm 1.4 Art for Pentax, as it's in line with the 35mm. Hoping to see the Samyang 20mm 1.8 soon, when B&H gets them in.

I have used it on both Nikon and now Pentax and if you don't mind the weight, and size it's a great lens. The 645 35mm FA, I used for years with a zork adapter on Canon, up to 20 MP 5D MKII, mostly on 1ds MKII. Nice lens, manual aperture ring allows use on other platforms. however if I was only looking to use on 35mm, I would go with the Sigma, as I don't use the Zork anymore due to vast improvements in stitching software.

Paul C