The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with images taken with the Pentax K1

Michiel Schierbeek

Hello Michiel!
Yes that is looking outstanding!! (even using the pixel-shift I guess), you can almost read the smal letters on the parking sign down in the right corner! When using C1 9.1.2, it seems like you just use the distortion-slider in the lens correction (I hope that would be sufficient)
That I will consider.
Pinhole also uses a M20/4 that seems rather sharp too, which is unavailable now, and used, didn't seemed easy to get.
Then there might be some of the other sharp lenses but I don't know how they would behave on fullframe. There are the
Pen 21/3.2 AL limited, which is sharp stopped down to 5.6 or best at 8 ephotozine claim.
Pen 35/2.8 DFA should be sharp too.
and then I would jump up to the Pen 100/2.8
Will they AF? (apart for the Samyang)
And the new Pen 28-105/3.5-5.6 could be a cheap solution for all-go non-critical work on houses (while it seems acceptable sharp for the most commen situations)
Thorkil
The Pentax 21/3.2 AL Limited is for APC. Don't think the image circle is sufficient.
I would like to know more about the 28-105, but no serious tests yet.
All FA lenses will AF but DA lenses are for APC
Some DA lenses work fine ON FF like the DA 50/1.8

BTW I bought myself a Voigtlander SL 40mm in PK mount. It seems to be a wonderful sharp lens.
I tryed the Pentax shift 28/3.5 on my A7r. Image quality looks wortless to me.
The Pentax-A 28/2 is a wonderfull lens already on the A7r
These are all non AF lenses.

Pentax-A 28/2 on A7r

Thorkil

The Pentax 21/3.2 AL Limited is for APC. Don't think the image circle is sufficient.
I would like to know more about the 28-105, but no serious tests yet.
All FA lenses will AF but DA lenses are for APC
Some DA lenses work fine ON FF like the DA 50/1.8

BTW I bought myself a Voigtlander SL 40mm in PK mount. It seems to be a wonderful sharp lens.
I tryed the Pentax shift 28/3.5 on my A7r. Image quality looks wortless to me.
The Pentax-A 28/2 is a wonderfull lens already on the A7r
These are all non AF lenses.

Pentax-A 28/2 on A7r
Thanks Michiel!
Very nice picture with the A 28/2
The 28-105 is tested here
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/...-5-5-6-ed-dc-wr-lens-review-29352#Performance
and compared with the 24-70
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/...70mm-f-2-8-ed-sdm-wr-review-29349#Performance
it looks like you get almost the same sharpnes for half the price, les aperture, a bit less quality...but, so perhaps I could start with this, and perhaps the Samyang 15, and let time tell.
Thorkil

Quentin_Bargate

Guys,

I purchased the 35mm F/1.4 Sigma, which is very sharp, a little fall off at the corners at F1.4 - F/4, but thereafter excellent. It deserves serious consideration. Don't worry about the microscopic scratch caused by the Sigma that so much hot air has been expended on, its really nothing at all.

The I went exploring rather like Michiel, because to be frank, I know nothing about Pentax wide angle lenses. The A 28mm F/2 intrigued me but it had mixed reports, but those samples by Michiel look very good.

Also looked at the 15-30mm Tamron based Pentax, which is huge, but its not in stock anywhere I can see

A Pentax FA* 85mm F/1.4 is in transit and will arrive next week.

Michiel Schierbeek

Guys,

I purchased the 35mm F/1.4 Sigma, which is very sharp, a little fall off at the corners at F1.4 - F/4, but thereafter excellent. It deserves serious consideration. Don't worry about the microscopic scratch caused by the Sigma that so much hot air has been expended on, its really nothing at all.

The I went exploring rather like Michiel, because to be frank, I know nothing about Pentax wide angle lenses. The A 28mm F/2 intrigued me but it had mixed reports, but those samples by Michiel look very good.

Also looked at the 15-30mm Tamron based Pentax, which is huge, but its not in stock anywhere I can see

A Pentax FA* 85mm F/1.4 is in transit and will arrive next week.
Same with me, Quentin. Pentax K was practicly the only lensmount I didn't know much about. And it is a bit complicated (not anymore), with all the K, M, -A, FA and DA lenses.
I bought some more not to expensive legacy lenses to try out.
_A Zoom 35-135/3.5, -A Zoom 24-50, -a 35/2.8, M 50/1.7, M 100/2.8 mostly based on the lens review on the Pentax forums.
Wide angles are extremely rare, so you're sort of totally dependable on the new 15-30 or/and the Samyang, which is a good lens. (I have it in E-mount)
Then we have that new 15/2.4 Irix in PK mount, which looks good designwise but of which I can't find any reviews yet.

Here are some sample of the Irix lens: https://www.flickr.com/photos/irixlens/albums/72157664815786113/with/26406684442/

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

Same with me, Quentin. Pentax K was practicly the only lensmount I didn't know much about. And it is a bit complicated (not anymore), with all the K, M, -A, FA and DA lenses.
I bought some more not to expensive legacy lenses to try out.
_A Zoom 35-135/3.5, -A Zoom 24-50, -a 35/2.8, M 50/1.7, M 100/2.8 mostly based on the lens review on the Pentax forums.
Wide angles are extremely rare, so you're sort of totally dependable on the new 15-30 or/and the Samyang, which is a good lens. (I have it in E-mount)
Then we have that new 15/2.4 Irix in PK mount, which looks good designwise but of which I can't find any reviews yet.

Here are some sample of the Irix lens: https://www.flickr.com/photos/irixlens/albums/72157664815786113/with/26406684442/
Irix talk a good case, but who designs and builds them? We need more info and testing. Price is reasonable and it comes in the Petax K mount.

Promising concept.

Thorkil

the Samyang 15, the Sigma 35 Art and the 100/2.8 macro could be a good fixed lens solution to me. Where the 35 Art would do 80% of the job - although don't know if changing lenses hanging out of roof-windows will be my strongest skill...
have to ask the dealer for a test of the 28-105 when he gets it next week..just as a spare-solution..
(but I'm stil totally divided between this and the very different solution, the upcoming Fuji X-T2)
thorkil

Thorkil

stunning Quentin!!!
But I do have a realistic approch to my own skill :)
Still the 100 macro?, or the 35 Art?
thorkil

Quentin_Bargate

stunning Quentin!!!
But I do have a realistic approch to my own skill :)
Still the 100 macro?, or the 35 Art?
thorkil
Thanks, Thorkil, but it's just patience!

This was taken with the Pentax 100mm F/2.8 Macro @F/8, natural window light. K1 Pixel shift, 8 shots in total to get the front to back sharpness in the subject.

Tim

Once I move into my new house I will have room for a casual portrait studio and am considering options for a single light, body and lens for such work.
I was heavily considering Fuji but after seeing some of these samples I am now re-considering the K1.
While I think the Fuji will accommodate my printing sizes I think the nuance of the IQ here has me lusting after the K1.

Thoughts on this for portrait work?

Quentin_Bargate

Once I move into my new house I will have room for a casual portrait studio and am considering options for a single light, body and lens for such work.
I was heavily considering Fuji but after seeing some of these samples I am now re-considering the K1.
While I think the Fuji will accommodate my printing sizes I think the nuance of the IQ here has me lusting after the K1.

Thoughts on this for portrait work?
I'll let you know after my used FA* 85mm F/1.4 arrives this week :cool:

For lighting, I have packed away my Bowens stuff and will instead be working with a 3 flash Cactus set-up. adding additional flash lights, if necessary.

Michiel Schierbeek

It was with the 100mm Macro. You misplaced the quote... ;)

But the colours with the K1 are good out of the camera.
Do you think that Macro is good for architecture/landscape as well. I mean not using it as a Macro....

( They said the box was coming last night and now they say it will be tonight.. w'll see..)

Thorkil

Looking forward til you are getting it Michiel (and all the lovely picture that might be on their way then..).
I might have turned into a coward, and my excuse might be that I presume that I’m not in that good shape that you are, and life do have a strange and ongoing habit, each day one grow older… and a Fuji X-T2 wil be smaller, less weight…but I certainly do have lust for the K-1, I must admit..
thorkil

Michiel Schierbeek

Looking forward til you are getting it Michiel (and all the lovely picture that might be on their way then..).
I might have turned into a coward, and my excuse might be that I presume that I’m not in that good shape that you are, and life do have a strange and ongoing habit, each day one grow older… and a Fuji X-T2 wil be smaller, less weight…but I certainly do have lust for the K-1, I must admit..
thorkil
Our design is not perfect...in deed we grow older.
I sort of like sturdiness in cameras though. I will probably miss an EVF...

But Thorkil if you would want to go FF and lightweight why not a Sony? Fuji is nice to of course and they do have a great lens lin up.