The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with images taken with the Pentax K1

Quentin_Bargate

Hopefully, an unambiguous thread title :)

A thread for images from the Pentax K1 only, taken with any make of lens

Here are two taken today with the Pentax 100mm Macro:

MalcolmP

Impressive ! (at least with the caveat of" on the Internet ").
I'd value your thoughts and real world experiences thus far please Quentin now the clearly better and less quality inhibiting /liberatting glass your last few images have displayed are mounted.
Also, lovely,just charmingly lovely ,skillfull and understated quality images! (no surprise really ,your Sigma images display the same photography traits. Not flannel ,just an observation ).
Regards
Malcolm.

Thorkil

Quentin, very nice pictures indeed!
Still the PENTAX 100MM F/2,8 SMC-DFA macro in the last two, I guess?
Still I wonder how much pp you are using? (still remember your skills)
Thorkil

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin, very nice pictures indeed!
Still the PENTAX 100MM F/2,8 SMC-DFA macro in the last two, I guess?
Still I wonder how much pp you are using? (still remember your skills)
Thorkil
Hi Thorkil and Malcolm

Thanks for the kind comments.

All with the Pentax 100mm F/2.8 macro. Excellent, small, lens.

I'm impressed with the camera and lens. I've been liberated! Or at least it feels that way. Like the Sigma Merrills, there is something about the K1, some indefinable quality I remember from August 2012 that has reappeared with the KI that I can't explain. The Sony A7RII is a good camera tecnically, but the KI has soul. I was bored with the Sonys, but enthused by the K1. Menus make sense, image quaity is organic, Multi shot is excellent (I also have a Hassy H5D200MS so I know what i'm talking about). Minimal post processing.

100mm F/2.8 sounds like a drill, but works a treat :)

tsjanik

Wonderful series. I'm a bit jealous, not only over the K-1, but also that, judging from the garden shots, your climate is considerably more benign than mine. :angry:

seakayaker

Thanks for sharing your images and comments, look forward to seeing/reading more from you and other contributors regarding the K1. It is on my wish list for now, just need to see how it shakes out.

What software are you using to post process your images?

Thorkil

Hi Thorkil and Malcolm

Thanks for the kind comments.

All with the Pentax 100mm F/2.8 macro. Excellent, small, lens.

I'm impressed with the camera and lens. I've been liberated! Or at least it feels that way. Like the Sigma Merrills, there is something about the K1, some indefinable quality I remember from August 2012 that has reappeared with the KI that I can't explain. The Sony A7RII is a good camera tecnically, but the KI has soul. I was bored with the Sonys, but enthused by the K1. Menus make sense, image quaity is organic, Multi shot is excellent (I also have a Hassy H5D200MS so I know what i'm talking about). Minimal post processing.

100mm F/2.8 sounds like a drill, but works a treat :)
Hi Quentin. I did not suppose that you would write these nice and tempting words! Now I have to reconsider. I was about turning towards Fuji X-Pro2 or X-T2 (size, soul, quality). Yes, the camera you pick up when you walk out the door will have to be one that gives you a nice and friendly attraction, calling, and encouraging/inspiration for more pictures. And for my part I would like to use it both for work (where stabilization and high iso-capacity will be an important bonus) and joy (but its a heavy system!..GR will then be calling too). Perhaps just the 15-30/2.8 (even though its the same price as the K-1 body!!) and just the 100/2.8 WR (actually very very cheap) then.
Thorkil

Thorkil

PS Quentin, I suppose all the pictures were in Pixel shift, or..?
If so, how are you satiesfied with normal mode?
Thorkil

wstam

Hi Quentin,

Very nice photos :thumbup:. Are they taken with camera handheld or on tripod?

Thanks.

Thorkil

The Tamarisk tree, detail: Pentax DFA Macro F/2.8. @ F3.5, Pentax K1
Quentin, I guess it was the 100? :) (very nice picture indeed)

To all: The other day at the dealer I was holding the sister to the Pentax 15-30, the Tamron 15-30mm, which was a disaster of bulk to me. I won't walk along with that, even at work, never. Its even bulkier than the Nikkor 14-24, and it was a sufficient challenge itself.
Any suggestions of sharp wide primes with AF then (or perhaps manual focus will be ok, as long it's in the wide region) and sharp middle primes AF would be very helpfull!
The 100/2.8 would be sufficient tele for me.
Thorkil

Michiel Schierbeek

Quentin, I guess it was the 100? :) (very nice picture indeed)

To all: The other day at the dealer I was holding the sister to the Pentax 15-30, the Tamron 15-30mm, which was a disaster of bulk to me. I won't walk along with that, even at work, never. Its even bulkier than the Nikkor 14-24, and it was a sufficient challenge itself.
Any suggestions of sharp wide primes with AF then (or perhaps manual focus will be ok, as long it's in the wide region) and sharp middle primes AF would be very helpfull!
The 100/2.8 would be sufficient tele for me.
Thorkil
Hello Thorkil,

The 14mm Samyang seems to perform great on the K-1. Not a real small lens but a lot smaller then the 15-30. It needs to be corrected for distortion though. (one click)

Here is a big example from Pinholecam on flickr.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/29329237@N07/26540322334/sizes/o/

Thorkil

Hello Thorkil,

The 14mm Samyang seems to perform great on the K-1. Not a real small lens but a lot smaller then the 15-30. It needs to be corrected for distortion though. (one click)

Here is a big example from Pinholecam on flickr.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/29329237@N07/26540322334/sizes/o/
Hello Michiel!
Yes that is looking outstanding!! (even using the pixel-shift I guess), you can almost read the smal letters on the parking sign down in the right corner! When using C1 9.1.2, it seems like you just use the distortion-slider in the lens correction (I hope that would be sufficient)
That I will consider.
Pinhole also uses a M20/4 that seems rather sharp too, which is unavailable now, and used, didn't seemed easy to get.
Then there might be some of the other sharp lenses but I don't know how they would behave on fullframe. There are the
Pen 21/3.2 AL limited, which is sharp stopped down to 5.6 or best at 8 ephotozine claim.
Pen 35/2.8 DFA should be sharp too.
and then I would jump up to the Pen 100/2.8
Will they AF? (apart for the Samyang)
And the new Pen 28-105/3.5-5.6 could be a cheap solution for all-go non-critical work on houses (while it seems acceptable sharp for the most commen situations)
Thorkil