The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with images taken with the Pentax K1

Michiel Schierbeek

The Pentax 31mm has a great reputation, mostly for its use on aps-c.
I've seen some not so bad tests with it on FF Sony cam but also one test that shows a weak behavior out of the center of the frame:
La non mia Sony A7r con i miei obiettivi There is a warning before opeing this site, it did not arm my computer and so I publish the link.
I don't know how representative it is but I went for the 35mm sigma art K mount finally. A safe bet I guess.
That is in contradiction with what the guy said of whom I bought my Pentax-A 28/2. He bought the K-1 as well and said that he rediscovered the 31 limited again moving from APC to FF.
That is why he sold it. Well anyway I must say I find the A 28/2 to be an outstanding lens on the K-1.

Resizing ones house.
A 35/2.8

AlanS

Hi Quentin, Great shot. It is the first I have seen with pixel shift on the sort of subject I would shoot. Question, does the B&W conversion hide the colour artifacts or is the file clean?

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Quentin, Great shot. It is the first I have seen with pixel shift on the sort of subject I would shoot. Question, does the B&W conversion hide the colour artifacts or is the file clean?
Thanks, Alan. There are some colour artefacts with Adobe Camera Raw / Lightroom, although that was only a secondary consideration. The Pentax Digital Camera Utility 5 is abysmal to use. It deals very well, however, with movement - but using such software is a pain!

tsjanik

Lovely images from the garden Quentin, as usual.

.................... The Pentax Digital Camera Utility 5 is abysmal to use. It deals very well, however, with movement - but using such software is a pain!
Can it be worse than the Sigma software? :cussing:

Tom

Michiel Schierbeek

A bit depressing. Sounds like this camera is the waste of money of the year.
His conclusion is that the only real advantage of this camera is the tilting screen for landscapes.
Not a word about focus assist and catch in focus, which no camera has.

He does everything to prove that your better of with a Canon. Even the price including lenses seems not right.
And with second hand lenses a 5Dsr was a lot cheaper without doing the same trick with Pentax.

Pixelshift; no real advantage either. No, he was not in the mood for this camera. (Pentax dared not to send him one on loan for testing)
No good for portraits? Yes for fast professional fashion shooters. But for the main public it is a good camera for portraits.

It needs more lenses and the ones they have are to expensive compared to the Tamron equivalents.
I expect Sigma to jump in soon.
Another thing is that Adobe has to come up with a decent pixelshift handling.

Quentin_Bargate

Michiel

On the plus side, he said it was the best landscape camera of them all.

I'm still awaiting a proper chance to try out the K1 for portraiture. I have some strobes set up for that purpose.

Some of the unique features were not properly explored. He needed more time to properly explore pixel shift, but I agree with his assessment of Silky Pix. The world has standardised around ACR / Lightroom and Silky Pix has its own weird way of doing things. Even worse is Pentax's own interpretation of it in Digital Camera Utility 5. I once used Silky Pix as my main RAW decoding software (years ago).

He was spot on in his assessment of a shortage of modern Pentax lenses.

My idea is that Pentax release a new version of the KI, called the K1 Studio. The K1 Studio would add compatibility with Studio flash, with a user selectable delay between each of the four shots in Pixel Shift. That's how Hasselblad does things and its essential for studio food and product photography. The K1 Studio would also add in some other features which we can discuss :cool:

V

Vivek

Can't they do a FW update to make that K1 to have "studio" features?

Quentin_Bargate

Can't they do a FW update to make that K1 to have "studio" features?
Hope so. With "studio" features, the K1 is a much better proposition for studio still life / product / food photographers. Of course, the other alternative is hot lights, or these days, LED lights, now of excellent quality (see, e.g. Rotolight).

Note: ignore the ridiculous "malware" warning you might get. Alternatively, just type in https://www.rotolight.com/ )

Rich M

It's June and the cactus are flowering..........well, not the cactaceae we normally think of.......

Genus: Hylocereus.......with several species........Night Blooming Cereus and Dragon Fruit (H. Pitahaya). The flowers look very similar, but the pitahaya produces a delicious fruit. (Google it and you'll see).

[/url]20160620-IMGP0237 by Richard M, on Flickr[/IMG]

Quentin_Bargate

Delighted with the 77mm Limited on the K1 today. Razor sharp.

Here is a shot of our new Spanish colleague in monochrome taken for our website. Not fully processed. Can't correct the dodgy tie, however....

F/2.2 @1/500 sec, 100ISO

Quentin_Bargate

Just dipped in to the discussion about the new Hasselblad X1D. I now return the more illuminating world of the excellent K1. Quite a day along with the referendum and some other exciting work related stuff.

WildRover

I just discovered this thread - am always over in the medium format area - and I must say you are "killing it" with the K-1 Quentin. Some great images so far. I have wanted to upgrade or supplement my 645D with a Z, but I too got myself a K-1. For me it was to go wider than the 25mm on the medium format, be able to go sans tripod on occasion, and play more with night images. I have a couple questions. Since the Pentax-D FA 15-30 should arrive tomorrow, I was wondering about the Lee split neutral density filters for it. I use the 4x6 filters, and find myself using the 2 stop soft gradation one the most, with the 3 stop always seeming to be too much. I see now that they also offer a .45 and a .75. I am tempted to get the .75 first and then maybe the .45 later. I was wondering if you have any thoughts on that. Also, I was wondering about your fantastic flowers. Are you hand holding for those, or are you using mostly a tripod. I'm so uncomfortable hand holding a camera that that will be a skill I will have to learn. Thanks for any response.

Rick

WildRover

Here are a couple from the K-1. The Forget Me Nots and Trillium are with a M42 Cyclop 1.5/85mm (constant aperture) which apparently has the same lens formula and is analogous to the Helios 40-2. I got it off the bay from a seller in Syberia. Warning - it doesn't fit. It is too wide at the mount. I had to use the small Roman No. I extension tube to gain clearance. The Marsh Marigold's are with the Pentax-D FA 100 macro.

Rick

Wow. After posting this, the Trillium shot looks way too vivid-neon. Looks like I'm going to have to go back and dial things back a bit with the processing.

Attachments