The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with images taken with the Pentax K1

Charles Wood

My K1 arrived two days ago. I'm pretty impressed. This is a single frame shot (haven't tried pixel shift yet) taken in my back yard, using a vintage Pentax SMC M F1.4 50MM @ F8. The lens really seems to hold up. Files are as easy to work with as those from my 645Z.

Attachments

Michiel Schierbeek

I just bought an almost like new Tamron AF 70-200/2.8 Di LD IF Macro in Pentax mount.

Here is a test shot out of the window. Of course it is raining again. This is @ 200mm F.9 handheld.
I think I will find a lot of use for it. Can't be much worth then the new rebadged Pentax 70-200.
AF seems to be slower though, but good enough for my kind of use for it, I hope.

Rich M

Nice Richard! Did you have the conversion done by David?
No, Michiel.....I was fortunate to find it in the ZK mount (which means one gets aperture control through the camera).

Here is another one with the 2.8/21. It is hard to see in the web sized version, but it picked up some very nice orange reflections off the rocks in the water, even though it was in the shadows.

[/url]20160625-IMGP0314 by Richard M, on Flickr[/IMG]

By f/5.6 or f/8, it is very sharp in the corners.

anGy

Guys, what about Silkypix raw dev ?
As already well communicated this is not really a nice raw dev. (mostly because of a buggy preview, not intuitive, strange options, bad sharpness).
But I found the Pixel Shift with movement compensation quite efficient, not perfect but it makes a nice improvement compared to Lightroom (that does not support movement compensation at all).

My biggest surprise came from the DR of the files: more headroom, especially in the highlights it seems.
So I will further investigate and wonder what you guys think about it ?

I don't want to use Silkypix as my main raw dev for Pentax but, for my best shots and those Pixel shift with movement correction, I'm considering using Silkypix as a fist step: white balance / highlight & shadow recovery / boost saturation and let most of the other settings to zero + low contrast. This gives a quite dull result that I import as a tiff in lightroom for contrast / fine tuning / sharpness.

I processed 3 pictures that way yesterday and found that I reached a better overall result (color accuracy, DR, natural rendering) compared to the same ones developped in LR only.

Michiel Schierbeek

Guys, what about Silkypix raw dev ?
As already well communicated this is not really a nice raw dev. (mostly because of a buggy preview, not intuitive, strange options, bad sharpness).
But I found the Pixel Shift with movement compensation quite efficient, not perfect but it makes a nice improvement compared to Lightroom (that does not support movement compensation at all).

My biggest surprise came from the DR of the files: more headroom, especially in the highlights it seems.
So I will further investigate and wonder what you guys think about it ?

I don't want to use Silkypix as my main raw dev for Pentax but, for my best shots and those Pixel shift with movement correction, I'm considering using Silkypix as a fist step: white balance / highlight & shadow recovery / boost saturation and let most of the other settings to zero + low contrast. This gives a quite dull result that I import as a tiff in lightroom for contrast / fine tuning / sharpness.

I processed 3 pictures that way yesterday and found that I reached a better overall result (color accuracy, DR, natural rendering) compared to the same ones developped in LR only.
I have been using Silkypix in the past but it did disapear from my workflow. I did not even install it again when it was delevered with the K-1. I will look into it again when I am back in Amsterdam.
Do you use it in combination with the Digital Camera Utility from Pentax when you use pixelshift?

anGy

I've downloaded the trial version of Silkypix from Pentax.
From my understanding DCUP is a reduced version of Silkypix and has even more performance/stability issue on Mac.
I'll give it a try as I'm not sure to be willing to pay for such software once the trial period of Silkypix has ended.

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

I've downloaded the trial version of Silkypix from Pentax.
From my understanding DCUP is a reduced version of Silkypix and has even more performance/stability issue on Mac.
I'll give it a try as I'm not sure to be willing to pay for such software once the trial period of Silkypix has ended.
I used SilkyPix years ago. I tried it again with KI raw files and frankly I have concluded I might as well use the free Pentax software just to decode pixel shift shots. My preference is to use ACR, or Lightroom unless I have to use Digital Camera Utility because of movement issues with pixel shift.