The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with images taken with the Pentax K1

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Oh, 24 TS lenses are everywhere :) . I just always liked the 28mm FoV. I know, we have enough pixels to crop, and since I currently don't own any shift lenses, I just shoot wider and correct perspective. But I love seeing the accurate framing that only a TS lens can give.

That actually would be possible with Live View - to show the perspective crop lines, or even the corrected view through the EVF or LCD. Hmmmm...

--Matt

Paul2660

I've downloaded the trial version of Silkypix from Pentax.
From my understanding DCUP is a reduced version of Silkypix and has even more performance/stability issue on Mac.
I'll give it a try as I'm not sure to be willing to pay for such software once the trial period of Silkypix has ended.

Currently the full version of Silkypix for Mac, will error out when processing a Pixel Shift file. The file develops a red/green series of blocks and can't be processes. I have opened a case with the support team, and they have acknowledged the issue exists. At least on Macbook Pro and El Capitan.

I have the PC version of Slikypix and it works fine on the Pixel shift images. I tried the Pentax software included and threw it in the trash, sorry, just terrible, at least for me. No controls, blown highlights, etc. I found the full code from Silkypix to be much easier to work with and to get a good image. I will try the Pentax code again based on Quentin's notes. But I did not get good results the first few times.

The LR conversion actually works on most of my shots, without a lot of problems. But too much wind movement and LR gives the green aliasing problem Preview pointed out, where as Silkypix can process the same file without any issues.

I also noticed that Iridient Developer has support for the Pixel shift files. I noticed a bit of aliasing in the images I tested however.

C1 opens the files, but only seems to work on the first image taken. Based on responses I received on a different forum, C1 may not be supporting the Pixel shift anytime soon, and that is too bad as I love the C1 conversions on regular K1 raw, excellent color. If Phase is working on the Pixel shift files, they won't say, which I am at a total loss as to why, but that is typical for them.

The proof is in the pudding as the images taken with pixel shift are truly outstanding files and have a huge range of mailability and uprez potential not to mention much cleaner, even at ISO 100.

Paul C

Michiel Schierbeek

I think I struggle on for a while with the DCU software, which is in deed really terrible, till there is more support from others. I red in the DxO forums that they will support pixelshift on the K-1 in september.
DxO administrator: "The Pentax K1 should be supported by DxO OpticsPro 11 in September."
I quiet liked this software when I used it in the past.

Last edited:

raycox

Oh, 24 TS lenses are everywhere :) . I just always liked the 28mm FoV. I know, we have enough pixels to crop, and since I currently don't own any shift lenses, I just shoot wider and correct perspective. But I love seeing the accurate framing that only a TS lens can give.

That actually would be possible with Live View - to show the perspective crop lines, or even the corrected view through the EVF or LCD. Hmmmm...

--Matt
There is a 28 tilt shift on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Pentax-...082920?hash=item3ac6016368:g:8gsAAOSwGIRXZbsO

Paul2660

Optically it looks very good. The 28mm F3.5 K is lens I have not used before.

Is there anyway to filter the lens? I saw it followed the old Olympus shift lens with the rotating built in filters. But the hood appears not to have any way to apply a filter besides fitting one over the out side of the hood.

Also, I am assuming no tilt on this lens?

I would love to see a comparison of the 28mm K shift and the Rokinon 24mm t/S K. I tried the Samyang version of the 24mm for Nikon and was not very impressed.

The images have have provided with the 28mm K make me re-think that I might want to try that lens.

How does yours do on full shifts? 10mm?

Thanks
Paul C

Michiel Schierbeek

I tryed this lens with an adapter on the A7r and it was not good, on the K-1 it works a lot better.
It is not as sharp as the 28/2 A prime I have and it has a lot of purple and green fringing, especially in the shadow areas. Distortion is a lot better as the A 28/2.
So the files need some work to clean up. Also I must admit I put a layer of Topaz Adjust-Clarity of 25% over it to give it more pop.

But then it is quiet acceptable for me. I never checked the Rokinon yet.

As a on top filter you need something like a Lee system, but there are three build in filters, yellow, skylight and orange plus a clip on the back end for gels.
Completely forgot to check them out.

BTW I think post 201 was at full shift 10mm. Th last two shots were shifted less because i was on a higher level.

Michiel Schierbeek

Today I noticed a deep cut under the mirrorhouse on my K-1 because of the shift lens caused by rotating the shift lens. Much deeper as the tiny scratch caused by some Sigma lenses.

Rich M

Obon season (Japanese Buddhist custom to honor the spirits of one's ancestors) is traditionally during June and July in Hawaii. Here are some from a Bon dance at the Ryusenji Soto Mission last night.

20160716-IMGP0641 by Richard M, on Flickr

Shot with the FA77