The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with images taken with the Pentax K1

Charles Wood

The lava has started flowing again to the sea from Kilauea. I did a nine mile round trip hike out last evening with my K1, Rokinon 14mm, Pentax manual focus 20-50 F4, Pentax 70-210 F4. I shot mostly with the Rokinon to grab the Milky Way overhead. The people visible in the wide shots were watching the lava fall over the cliff face into the ocean, hence the plumes of steam. Most shots were at ISO 12800 to minimize movement blur and star trails. The most entertaining event of the evening was watching a cruise ship cut speed so those onboard could observe the lava flow. The flashes from phones and P&S cameras went off like popcorn. The vast majority of the public do not know how to do anything with cameras other than aim, point and shoot, and pray. I found it is extremely difficult to photograph lava. The intensity of the hottest areas is off the chart, requiring underexposure, and essentially processing RAW files to taste based on how you remember the scene.

Here are a few. I will post a slide/video show on YouTube in a couple of days, video shot in 4K.

Lava 1.jpg

Lava 2.jpg

Lava 3.jpg

Lava 7.jpg

Lava 4.jpg

Lava 6.jpg

Last edited:

benroy

Subscriber Member
Well said...there are quite a number of K-1 users that don't post...I'm one of them...but we do talk to one another: Bart, Rich communicate often.
And I do appreciate the work being shared...keep it coming.

Roy Benson

So... we have World Youth Day in Krakow. We are responsible for stage on Main Square, and everything is going quite smooth. There are lot of US people.
Yesterday was great Korean dance performance. And that day was Prime day for K1.

FA 31 as you know is great! Flare resistance test (projector light lot of fog)

K 50 1.2 is a dreamy lens.

FA 77 is a stellar lens. Even wide open.

Tamron Adaptall 90mm 2.5 52B. Heavy but... You will love it:

Also work great with Pentax AF Adaptor x1.7 = Circa 150mm

Full rep is here

PeterA

Quentin/Michiel - thanks to you both ( and others) for bringing this camera to my attention - wonderful photographs chaps. :thumbs:
-Cheers Pete

benroy

Subscriber Member
Congrats on receiving/using the 77/1.8...terrific, high quality lens...have had one for years and it has never disappointed...enjoy.

Roy Benson

Quentin_Bargate

Mauritius.

K1, first two with the 24-70mm F/2.8, the last two with the Sigma 35mm f/1.4

The Landscape

The Hotel bar

The Market

The Street

Interestingly, I also took a pixel shift version of the "Hotel Bar" shot, and as expected, there is far better acutance and detail, but the image otherwise was not as good - taken a little too early. Pity!

Last edited: