The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with images taken with the Pentax K1

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel:

I'm really enjoying your French town series.
Have you compared a PS K-1 image to one from a 645Z, if so, I am very interested in your observations.

Best,

Tom
Thanks Tom,

Recently I started to use the Z again and I must say it still trumps the K-1. The images just look and feel more quiet and spacious to me.
Sounds like a lot of bull and not very scientific but that is how I see it. And I could see it suddenly very well after only using the K-1 for month's.
Pixelshift is insane sharp and clear and equals the Z files in sharpness.
I haven't been using pixelshift so much lately because I don't want to lug around a tripod all the time for optimal performance.
It is about time to do some serious PS images again.
I really like the K-1. It is rather small for a dslr and very well build. Just love it. Really nice to stroll around the streets as I like to do.
The Sony A7r body felt more like a toy, although a very capable one.

nikonf

Michiel,

I agree with you regarding the superiority of the Z.

I just started taking some early autumn images with the Z on a tripod and maybe because I am an old view camera guy - I just prefer working with this behemoth of a camera and the 35mm, 45-85mm and 120mm macro lenses.

It may not be as good as a tricked-out PhaseOne or Hasselblad, but it is good enough for my work.

I am looking forward to using the Z in Vermont this month.

Enjoy the Z and the K1,
Mike
Thanks Tom,

Recently I started to use the Z again and I must say it still trumps the K-1. The images just look and feel more quiet and spacious to me.
Sounds like a lot of bull and not very scientific but that is how I see it. And I could see it suddenly very well after only using the K-1 for month's.
Pixelshift is insane sharp and clear and equals the Z files in sharpness.
I haven't been using pixelshift so much lately because I don't want to lug around a tripod all the time for optimal performance.
It is about time to do some serious PS images again.
I really like the K-1. It is rather small for a dslr and very well build. Just love it. Really nice to stroll around the streets as I like to do.
The Sony A7r body felt more like a toy, although a very capable one.

Michiel Schierbeek

Tonight at the fair in our village with the sons from our friends.
With the FA 77, not so easy to focus with this light.

ISO 1600

ISO 6400

Paul2660

Combo shot using Pixel shift for everything but the water due to known issues with movement and LR. The single cloud that crossed over the sun, just made the shot for me.
K1, 15-30 no filters (just did not have them this day) and ISO 100.

Paul C

Paul2660

Astrotracer, for Milkyway, actually entire shot as for some reason most of the bridge stayed in very good focus. 46 seconds exposure, 15-30 Lens ISO 500.

Would have preferred to be off more to the left, but water was over my waist so, took what I could get. As I had to frame the shot where the Milky Way was off center, it's not tack sharp, but still I like it. Perspective is of course off, but looking up tends to do that.

Paul C

Quentin_Bargate

Monaco yacht club - before the rush

The railing on the right of shot leans in by design

Interesting to hear comments about the 645Z. All I can say is that in my opinion, the K1 is as good as a Hasselblad H5D 50mp, if used with good lenses and with the same care as the Hasselblad - better if moire is a concern. Of course it is all very subjective.

takomaru

The more I look at this thread the more I want to test one, thank you for posting and sharing...I know Michiel Schierbeek, Paul Caldwell and Quentin Bargate all shoot with multiple platform cameras and MF & MF MS, so there must be lots more than screen viewing... quite a few manual lenses coming out soon in K mount, even better. Quentin really like your studio shots with constant studio lighting... congratulations gentlemen, and this is a thread to always take a good look... I'm going to test drive one... thank you kindly, Takomaru

Thorkil

Very nice Quentin, and I guess its the 15-30. I wish Pentax would produce a 20 FA and/or a 18 though. But the 15-30 could serve as a practical lense for narrow places and need for total pictures of buildings, but its rather bulky...and expensive.
Thorkil

Michiel Schierbeek

Very nice Quentin, and I guess its the 15-30. I wish Pentax would produce a 20 FA and/or a 18 though. But the 15-30 could serve as a practical lense for narrow places and need for total pictures of buildings, but its rather bulky...and expensive.
Thorkil
But there is a FA 20/2.8 and it is very good and very small, but they are expensive and hard to find.

Torino, Lingotto.
FA 20/2.8

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel,

I agree with you regarding the superiority of the Z.

I just started taking some early autumn images with the Z on a tripod and maybe because I am an old view camera guy - I just prefer working with this behemoth of a camera and the 35mm, 45-85mm and 120mm macro lenses.

It may not be as good as a tricked-out PhaseOne or Hasselblad, but it is good enough for my work.

I am looking forward to using the Z in Vermont this month.

Enjoy the Z and the K1,
Mike
Behemoth camera ? :bugeyes: So soon? ;) Funny how soon something turns into a prehistoric myths. Well it was a bit big right from the start but it still has the same sensor as all those new slim kids on the block, so I am no in a hurry as long as my muscles can coop :scry:

tsjanik

Combo shot using Pixel shift for everything but the water due to known issues with movement and LR. The single cloud that crossed over the sun, just made the shot for me.
K1, 15-30 no filters (just did not have them this day) and ISO 100.

Paul C

Hi Paul:

I'm curious about the processing here. How did you use PS for everything but the water? I have wondered if it was possible to apply a single exposure layer over a PS file and use masks, or there a better way?

Thanks,

Tom

Quentin_Bargate

Thorkil
Thanks, Thorkil. Actually it was the 24-70mm F/2.8 Pentax @ 24mm, hand held.

Thorkil

But there is a FA 20/2.8 and it is very good and very small, but they are expensive and hard to find.

Torino, Lingotto.
FA 20/2.8

Yes Michiel, very nice look indeed, and vibrant! But thats the point, I just can't rely on waiting for you to get tired of your example, Michiel :p
Did you pixelshift this picture?
But you guys using Lightroom got sharpening programs by the hand, C1 can't hit the same level I think..
thorkil

Thorkil

Thanks, Thorkil. Actually it was the 24-70mm F/2.8 Pentax @ 24mm, hand held.
:eek: surprise, surprice! I was 99% certain on the 15-30! Hmm, some more thoughts...
One thing my restless nature could take advantage of, is certainly the bodystabilization, perhaps worth of 3 stops or more
thorkil

Paul2660

Hi Paul:

I'm curious about the processing here. How did you use PS for everything but the water? I have wondered if it was possible to apply a single exposure layer over a PS file and use masks, or there a better way?

Thanks,

Tom
Hi Tom

With Pixel shift files, here is what I have found in regards to quality.

Silkypix Developer studio pro very good, but very limited in tools, but has the best conversion.
Pentax included software, does a good job on the conversion but has a terrible interface, like win3.1 or something, and no tools
LR, the most limited conversion with motion, but the best tool set by far.
C1 so far has chosen not to support the pixel shift files, for what reason not sure.

I still prefer LR, mainly for the colors, and tool set. On this shot, I took several pixel shifts, there was little or no wind movement. Then I took a couple non-pixel shift just for the water. In LR, I worked up both Pixel shift and non, then exported them to CC. There I just layered the non pixel shift over the other, and then painted the water over. I have also found that LR can at time have problems with clouds if they are moving fast. This cloud did not have any issues.

Also, in the camera, you can set pixel shift for motion correction or non motion correction. In the Pentax software you can select for either in the raw conversion. It seems that LR prefers images shot with no MS, or MS off. Still can't handle the water movement, but seems to work better with wind.

Wind is by far the single biggest issue with Pixel shift, and all the software tools have problems. So if I see much movement, I will always work a scene both ways, knowing that parts of the file in Pixel shift mode will just have a lot more potential. The images are so much better than anything else I have seen from 35mm DSLR's that I almost always try to use it.

I have also started working with just the base Pentax code, to get the basic tiff conversion made, then importing that image to LR, where I can do more work.

Frustration is that Pentax could have done so much more with this, at least with Adobe. I doubt anything else will ever be done.

Paul C

tsjanik

Thanks for the detailed reply Paul. I note you took non-PS shots to use for the water; is it possible to use one of the frames from the PS series as the non-PS layer?

Tom

Paul2660

Thanks for the detailed reply Paul. I note you took non-PS shots to use for the water; is it possible to use one of the frames from the PS series as the non-PS layer?

Tom
Hi Tom,

Lost me on this question. With PS (pixel shift), if I have movement possible, I will always take one frame non PS. So later on in photoshop, I can merge the two images, PS and non-PS, then just paint back the parts of the file that had PS movement aliasing issues. With water this is very easy since it's almost always the entire part of the file where water is concerned (and PS doesn't really add much here with a slower exposure for water). Trees branches are a bit more time consuming since you may have just one group of branches that were moving during the PS capture, but you have to examine the entire image just to make sure.

Paul C