The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with images taken with the Pentax K1

WildRover

I haven't posted anything for quite awhile. I unfortunately don't get out and use my K-1 as often as I should. I'm still learning some of the functions that the camera has. Here is a photo using the Interval Shooting mode. I had the intervals set wrong, but still was able to get 7 or 8 exposures of 1.6 seconds each to smooth out the water and "see" underneath better. I thought I had the camera set for 12 or 15 exposures, don't quite remember, but the interval between exposures messed me up. This probably needed the 15, or maybe more to smooth out the water better. I took a separate exposure for the sky with lots of negative clarity added to it in Lightroom, and blended the two together in photoshop. I shot this same scene the year before with the Pentax 645D with a longer exposure, but with that too, the water wasn't smooth enough. I will have to keep going back to get it right. Next time I might stop down more for the sky and clouds to soften and lengthen those with a long exposure. With a long enough exposure and the correct (shortest) interval, the clouds might work with the Interval Shooting function. The image I used was too schizophrenic in the sky so therefore the blend. This was a horizontal shot that was cropped square. I think I might take advantage of the square cropping feature in the future. That will aid in finding 1x1 compositions.

K-1, 15-30 zoom at 15mm, f/11

Rick

Attachments

WildRover

Here are a few taken a couple weeks ago with the K-1 and the new D FA*70-200mm. It was during our first snowstorm with wet snow clinging to everything. The Packer game was on, but outside the window was beautiful snow. A dilemma. Decided to take the dog for a walk and do some shooting. Turned out to be a good decision. Especially since we have satellite dish TV which looses reception with a drop of rain or two snowflakes in the air. Turns out the TV went dark shortly after I left. I brought my K-1 with three lenses and the 645D with a small arsenal of lenses for it- you never know. I ended up just using the K-1 and 70-200 for the entire dog walk. Some day I'll learn to limit the gear. It was a wet snow and the camera was both dripping wet and covered in snow. Not dramatically bad weather, but its nice to have the confidence that the weather sealing brings. I tried a bit of toning and some varied processing with the images. The panoramic images are simply cropped. I wish I would have "seen" the panoramas at the time and done them properly.

Rick

Attachments

tsjanik

A request for your thoughts: I need a more portable system and am considering a K-1 to complement my 645Z. I have a K-3 which I rarely use for anything "serious", as I always regret not having used the 645Z. Should I consider the Sony A7r II rather than the K-1? I ask here, since the posters in this thread are clearly an experienced and knowledgeable group producing wonderful images with K-1, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Sony.

Tom

Michiel: Is that a Triumph Spitfire in you last post?

Quentin_Bargate

A request for your thoughts: I need a more portable system and am considering a K-1 to complement my 645Z. I have a K-3 which I rarely use for anything "serious", as I always regret not having used the 645Z. Should I consider the Sony A7r II rather than the K-1? I ask here, since the posters in this thread are clearly an experienced and knowledgeable group producing wonderful images with K-1, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Sony.
I have not used my A7r II since getting the K1. It seems soulless compared to the KI. Also, My opinion is that the K1 is the best landscape and non-sports camera available, and Pixel Shift (multishot by another name) take it another level. For non-flash static studio work, i.e. with pro quality LEDs there is probably nothing that comes close short of 100mp medium format solutions and they have limitations of their own, most notably cost and size.

The issue you might have is not with the KI, but the paucity of pro grade lenses. The latest generation of redesigned lenses from Nikon, Canon and even Sigma etc do not have equivalents in Pentax. Pentax does have escellent lenses, such as the 77mm F1.8 limited, but that was designed in 1999 so it is not latest generation ( but it is wonderfully made and very small). The lenses released with the KI are variable - the 24-70mm F/2.8 is mediocre because its edge / corner performance is not great, the 15-35mm Is very good, but large, heavy and overpriced compared to its Tamron equivalent made in the same factory and so on. If Sigma, who of course already have a K mount full frame lens in the 35mm F/1.4 offered the rest of the Art range in K mount, that would be a solution. New players like Irix also have wide angle options. Thiis shortage of new full frame lenses is a consequence of Pentax being late arrivals on the full frame scene.

So, in my opinion, great camera, probably the best in class, compromised slightly by a restricted choice of lenses that do it justice.

PS my H5D-200MS is similarly gathering dust.

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi Tom,
I can confirm what Quentin said. I still have the A7r with the same sensor and don't use it anymore. It looks like the sensor has the good Pentax "sauce" over it. It is very sturdy, well you know Pentax 645 sturdiness and the same battery which sort of last for ever, not like the Sony which you have to plug in every day. The A7r feels a bit like a toy compared to the K1. The advantage of the Sony's is that by now there are about a zillion lenses for it.
But in deed Pentax should come up with some good new ( Limited style) lenses, although I have nothing to complain about the 31 and 77.
I bought the 15 IRIX as well. Good lens (but big), after I got to know it a bit better. I like the FA 20 as well, but hard to get and therefore expensive.

If you like manual lenses,it is quiet easy to Leitax the Zeiss ZF series of lenses. I just did the Distagon 25/2.8 and I am very very happy with it. It is sort of my favorite FOV
Also I am waiting for my Contax 35-70/3.4 to return from Leitax. I wanted a good zoom. Lots of prime Contax lenses are possible to Leitax yourself but the zooms are a bit to complicated for me. If all goes well I probably will have the Vario Sonnar 100-300 leitaxed. And there are of course some nice A lenses, I have most of them and they are quiet good.

Here is a closer shot of that car. I did not look closely to the car but I am not sure, in my memory the Spitfire looked slightly different.

tsjanik

Thanks fellows, you've convinced me about the K-1. I'm not too concerned about the lens offerings, the intent is to keep the kit small.
I believe you're correct about the car Michiel; similar lines to a Spitfire, but not quite right.

Michiel Schierbeek

A Happy New Year to you all!
First picture from 2017 from our glazed small leaved lime with a sculpture of mine from 1988.
Already raked some of the leaves.....pffff

This is with the Pentax-A 50/1.4

Michiel Schierbeek

From today with the Zeiss Distagon 25/2.8
I could fall in love with this lens but it is just a cold piece of metal and glass I can't talk with.

Shashin

From today with the Zeiss Distagon 25/2.8
I could fall in love with this lens but it is just a cold piece of metal and glass I can't talk with.
Michiel, this is really interesting. You posted other images from this area in the MF forum. But this is the image that really shines for me. The structure, color, and texture comes together rather effortlessly here to make something greater than its parts. The others feel more descriptive.

Michiel Schierbeek

Thank you for your thoughts on this photograph,Will. I was rather happy with this one myself, the light was right as well although freezing cold but you can't see that.

Quentin_Bargate

Michiel

The 25mm zeiss lens for Nikon, converted using a Leitax replacement mount for Pentax, is an option I have been looking at. The 25mm Contax / Yashica mount lens was a favourite of mine on my old Contax film cameras in the 1980's. Did you do the mount conversion yourself or send the lens to Leitax?

Loving the results in your talented hands!

Quentin