The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with images taken with the Pentax K1

Quentin_Bargate

I did expect that the IRIX wouldn't be good enough for you. It is a difficult lens to work with. Anyway 15mm is most of the time to wide for me, so I wan't use it much, especially while traveling. To big.
I take the FA 20, which is nice and small, with me.

Did you buy version I or II of the Zeiss 25? Version one has that little ugly thing on it from the older ai lenses. If not it may be a bit more difficult, but not to much, to convert.
The old version did not have to go to all the procedures instructed. That's why it was so easy. Did you buy a caliper yet?
Hi Michiel

The Irix is a near miss. Perhaps a version 2 will tweak things a bit. It is a great idea and very small for such a wide lens, but just not quite good enough. I can be quite difficult to please!

I am awaiting delivery of the 25mm F/2.8 zeiss this week, and the conversion kit from Leitax. The lens is Version 2. I have read the instructions and it looks like a question of working methodically and carefully. I will ask my builder for a caliper. What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

WildRover

At the risk of boring folks with the same image, here is the above photo as the K-1 intended it to be with all it's non-cropped pixels. Well almost. The pano was scared into existence because of the rogue leaves that remained from my poor housekeeping at capture time. A bit of cloning and spot healing did away with them bad leafy pixels. Cheating I suppose. The right bottom corner is a bit mushy. This was one of the first photos with the 15-30 where I was so close to the foreground. Having never shot with anything as wide as a 15mm before, I thought I'd be OK with depth of field. I will have to learn to be a bit more careful going forward.

The Huron Islands and Mountains (Michigan's version of mountains) and Lake Superior from Point Abbaye.

Rick

(I had to redo my photoshop edits because I originally cropped in Lightroom. After posting this, I see it has a slightly different color balance, its more vivid and contrasty. Darn. I thought I did things almost the same).

Attachments

Quentin_Bargate

Very calm this morning just before sunrise. K1, Pentax 77mm limited.

By the trees, concealed in the mist, is the river Pant. The river Pant later becomes the Blackwater. We are quite close to it's source.

WildRover

Shot with the K-1 and D FA* 70-200 @ 200mm this past fall. A year before, I did a very similar image at the same little ripple with the 645D and the FA 645 200mm on it. This was a bit of color from the far bank reflected in the river at Bond Falls in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Rick

Attachments

nikonf

Hello Quentin,

Lovely image!

Incidentally, regarding lenses for the K1, I picked-up a Zeiss 28mm f2 in Pentax ZK mount on eBay from Japan.

It is wonderful and it has one of the most beautiful renderings of any wide angle lens.

I have even found brand new Zeiss ZK 35mm f2 lenses on ebay.

Enjoy!
Mike

Very calm this morning just before sunrise. K1, Pentax 77mm limited.

By the trees, concealed in the mist, is the river Pant. The river Pant later becomes the Blackwater. We are quite close to it's source.

Quentin_Bargate

Hello Quentin,

Lovely image!

Incidentally, regarding lenses for the K1, I picked-up a Zeiss 28mm f2 in Pentax ZK mount on eBay from Japan.

It is wonderful and it has one of the most beautiful renderings of any wide angle lens.

I have even found brand new Zeiss ZK 35mm f2 lenses on ebay.

Enjoy!
Mike
Mike,

Thanks for the generous comments. I await the arrival of the Leitax conversion kit for a new Nikon fit Zeiss 25mm lens. I hope my efforts to convert it are a success! Might try a few others if I succeed.

nikonf

Quentin,

Welcome. I had the Zeiss 25mm lens. I think you will love yours.

Mike,

Thanks for the generous comments. I await the arrival of the Leitax conversion kit for a new Nikon fit Zeiss 25mm lens. I hope my efforts to convert it are a success! Might try a few others if I succeed.

Quentin_Bargate

The lens and the Leitax conversion kit are both here. I hope to do the conversion this weekend when the caliper and abrasive sheets arrive.

Quentin_Bargate

Today, I completed the conversion of a Zeiss 25mm F/2.8 Nikon fit ZF.2 to Pentax K mount using the Leitax replacement mount kit.

This required some careful work, including sanding down the aperture ring so it will not fowl the Pentax K1 body.

The Leitax instructions are admirably clear and accurate and the replacement K mount is well made.

Pleased to say it all went well and the 25mm Zeiss now fits perfectly on the K1. Obviously, I now have to stop down meter, but that is not an issue for me.

I look forward to taking a few test shots soon.

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

Nice Quentin! And now some pictures :)
The only thing is that the aperture ring is so close to the body you can hardly see it, although not a big problem for me. I hardly change it.

Quentin_Bargate

Michiel

Stop (me) spending my money :cool:

Anyway, I like the lens - something "relaxed" about it's presentation.

Bulbs of a different kind in the garden:

And a frosty morning at home

Both with the Zeiss 25mm

Quentin_Bargate

^^^ This looks wonderful to me.
Cameras and lenses can influence the way you shoot and what you shoot. There is a "look" to many Zeiss lenses that is very appealing and I can see that in your work, Michiel. In fact Zeiss used to emphasise that look in a book they published like an extended brochure, years ago on Zeiss Contax lenses