The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with images taken with the Pentax K1

Paul2660

[/url]CC Yosemite falls at midnight in May by paul caldwell, on Flickr[/IMG]

K1 and Irix 15mm, over approx 2 hours at Yosemite National Park. Conditions were perfect, with just enough moon to illuminate the falls and head walls. The reflection was due to the massive flooding on the Merced River as normally this meadow is dry, so I worked this spot a couple of times.

The K1 still is plagued by the white spots, which is sad, but thankfully C1 will take them out. The night skies in Yosemite are trying as I had to remove over 34 plane trails in this sequence, and not to mention the cars. I ended up at 1:00 am on this one and there were still a lot of cars driving around. The field in the foreground was hard to keep from being blown out due to cars pulling into the lot to check to see what I was up to.

Also the Irix 15mm is very hard to use at night. It gets what I would call a bit of double vision on the stars, if not perfectly focused. Also the lack of C1 and Pentax lens profiles is pretty telling amazing that C1 doesn't even have the 15-30mm.

Still a great camera and very nice to use at night.

Paul Caldwell

Last edited:

WildRover

There's a rail-trail close to my home where I often take my lab for walks, but usually sans camera gear. I have though photographed the 2 mile stretch of our normal walk on many occasions and am starting to get a nice collection of images. When bringing the gear, it's the backpack with its assortment and the tripod. I have almost never not used a tripod. I'm very uncomfortable hand holding a camera. It's just the way I have always done things. On a walk earlier this spring I just brought the K-1 and 100mm macro and no tripod. I did mostly panning shots with the shake reduction turned on. I ended up with about 10 shots that were fairly interesting. A cool thing that was going on is that the shake reduction was trying to stabilize the image. My thinking was that it would help stabilize the blur in the direction of the pan, but it also ended up stabilizing (the first?) part of the image. There is a combination of blur plus areas that are almost sharp. Here's one of the results. The image is a reflection in a small flooded pond. Then it has been inverted.

Rick

Attachments

To day is day when finaly after 9 weeks Laowa 12mm 2.8 come to my hand :)
It is heavy, but looks very good.
So how it perform?
(a little bit of post in C1)
Two fast test shots :)

Similar position as for FA 20mm. But one level up = from roof.

aand some side shot :)

Michiel Schierbeek

I always look forward to your photos Michiel. Interesting compositions and nice processing. I like the natural colors and sharpening. Very transparent and realistic.
That is very kind, thank you!

A complicated situated temporary bicycle tunnel on a building site in Amsterdam.

IRIX Blackstone 15/2.4

I totally agree. Michiel photography is very very inspiring!

I do some more photos with Laowa 12mm is is very powerfull lens.
Below 3 photo panorama I very like this lens it realy don't have distortion and it is quite compact but heavy. With K1 work very well as it have A position.

Michiel Schierbeek

I totally agree. Michiel photography is very very inspiring!

I do some more photos with Laowa 12mm is is very powerfull lens.
Below 3 photo panorama I very like this lens it realy don't have distortion and it is quite compact but heavy. With K1 work very well as it have A position.
That is a very interesting lens and a nice picture. Did you apply any distortion correction?

That is a very interesting lens and a nice picture. Did you apply any distortion correction?
Nope none :) But for panorama I choose projection that give me straight building but very stretched side areas.
As I wrote Lens give almost no distortion. But I need to learn it more as it give huge FOV

Small update, as I have with me today 12 20 31 and 50mm lenses I do some simple shot at our concert hall to see how much I could see:
Stacked all photos in archicad as it is very precise program :) So here it is FOV 12 20 31 and 50mm :)

Last update size. It is very compact lens:

Last edited:
How wide is wide?
Fisheye F 17-28@17 versus Laowa 12mm Zero-D Both on K1

K1 + Laowa 12mm

K1 + F 17-28@ 17mm Fisheye

Last edited:
More fun with 12mm.

Post in C1 - as we know it is not processing Pixel shift properly. C1 have also very limited keystone correction it is a pity.

There is new Raw therapee 5.1 with proper pixel shift demosiac it have much better keystone but upper part of photo is cutted so I make correction in DxO

and 1:1 crop :)

So what can I say? 12mm is very demanding in terms of composition.But it give me flexibility with post processing.
Pentax make something like TS17 :)
Best!