The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Full Frame Pentax or other lens recommendations

Paul2660

It's been 18 years since I shot Pentax, (besides the MF line), and I am not as familiar with their modern lenses (and non Pentax brands).

From what I can tell, Pentax, has 4 main Full frame lenses,

15-30, 24-70 (both appear to be either made by Tamron or are based on the Tamron equivalents)

70-200, and 150-450,

They also list the 100mm Macro.

When I look up Sigma and or Tamron, latest and greatest, sadly I only find the 35mm 1.4 Art from Sigma, and really none of the Tamron lenses. I assume some of this is due to expected sales volumes and the fact that since Pentax as sensor based stabilization, it adds a possible problem for the companies like Tamron and Sigma. One of my favorite Tamron lenses on Nikon is the 70-300, I know it's around a 500.00 dollar lens, but it can produce some great shots. Tamron makes a different 70-300 with a Pentax mount but it appears to be a different lens totally (elements and groups).

I realize there are a lot of older Pentax K primes out there from the ME, MX and other full frame film bodies

Just curious what others are using with the K1 and what they are finding. The K1 is a major shakeup, (at least IMO) over both any Canon and Nikon offering currently in the field (unless you are looking for high frame rate bodies), and the K1 has a huge amount it's offering for the price point. The main failing for me is the lack of lenses and the fact that adaption of Canon or Nikon glass won't work.

For a start, what are the opinions of the 15-30 and 150-450?

Thanks in advance.

Paul C

tsjanik

It's been 18 years since I shot Pentax, (besides the MF line), and I am not as familiar with their modern lenses (and non Pentax brands).

From what I can tell, Pentax, has 4 main Full frame lenses,

15-30, 24-70 (both appear to be either made by Tamron or are based on the Tamron equivalents)

70-200, and 150-450,

They also list the 100mm Macro.

When I look up Sigma and or Tamron, latest and greatest, sadly I only find the 35mm 1.4 Art from Sigma, and really none of the Tamron lenses. I assume some of this is due to expected sales volumes and the fact that since Pentax as sensor based stabilization, it adds a possible problem for the companies like Tamron and Sigma. One of my favorite Tamron lenses on Nikon is the 70-300, I know it's around a 500.00 dollar lens, but it can produce some great shots. Tamron makes a different 70-300 with a Pentax mount but it appears to be a different lens totally (elements and groups).

I realize there are a lot of older Pentax K primes out there from the ME, MX and other full frame film bodies

Just curious what others are using with the K1 and what they are finding. The K1 is a major shakeup, (at least IMO) over both any Canon and Nikon offering currently in the field (unless you are looking for high frame rate bodies), and the K1 has a huge amount it's offering for the price point. The main failing for me is the lack of lenses and the fact that adaption of Canon or Nikon glass won't work.

For a start, what are the opinions of the 15-30 and 150-450?

Thanks in advance.

Paul C
Paul:

You can find some reviews here:

Pentax Lenses | PentaxForums.com Reviews

User reviews here (the new lenses are listed as D FA):

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Along with the manual K lenses you mentioned, there are many older FA lenses which have AF. Apparently you can get Pentax bodies to accept Nikon lenses (although the K-1 is not yet listed):

Pentax K+ Multi-Mount (WR version) - Adaptist

or modify the lens:

Nikon and Zeiss ZF lenses for Pentax cameras

Tom

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

Pentax greatest weakness - lack of modern, full frame lenses, or support (at the moment) from Sigma (save the 35mm F/1.4) and Tamron.

I speak only of lenses I have.

1. Pentax 15-30mm F/2.8. Very good lens. Based on Tamron design, but materially different (e.g. no image stabilisation so no moving elements). Huge lens, very good quality results. Recommended if you don't mind the size. Be careful of front focussing.

2. Pentax 77mm Limited F/1.8. Old fashioned lens, small, well made, I will be giving it its first proper outing tomorrow to photograph some colleagues. Pentax really need an updated version maybe 85mm, F1.4.

3. Pentax 100mm Macro F/2.8. Much smaller than expected. Weather resistant. Great results. noisy screw drive, but it works and is accurate.

4. Pentax 24-70mm F/2.8. The standard mid range zoom. Mediocre quality, not as good as the Zeiss 24-70mm on the Sony E mount, and nowhere near the excellent quality of the G-Master lens.

5. Sigma 35mm F/1.4. Superb moderate wide angle. recommended. Pity its the only Sigma full frame option

I assume Pentax will release new lenses soon, and Sigma presumably will if sales volumes are likely to be high enough.

Other options include Zeiss ZK lenses used, or "Leitax" mount conversions of Leica or Zeiss manual focus lenses.

Paul:

You can find some reviews here:

Pentax Lenses | PentaxForums.com Reviews

User reviews here (the new lenses are listed as D FA):

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Along with the manual K lenses you mentioned, there are many older FA lenses which have AF. Apparently you can get Pentax bodies to accept Nikon lenses (although the K-1 is not yet listed):

Pentax K+ Multi-Mount (WR version) - Adaptist

or modify the lens:

Nikon and Zeiss ZF lenses for Pentax cameras

Tom

Paul2660

Quentin and Tom,

Thanks for the info.

Quick question, the Zeiss ZK, mounts I am assuming are Full Frame? There are a lot of the 35mm F2.0 out there on eBay, but I feel that the Sigma 35mm 1.4 would be the better deal.

I am also probably going to get the Samyang 14mm, as it's a great little lens.

Sad to hear that the 24-70 is not a better optic as it was one on list. Still may try it to see. The 15-30 seems to be a good lens, and heavy as the Nikon 14-24.

I also hope that Sigma and Tamron both will add more of their lenses to the K mount in the future.

Thanks
Paul C

Quentin_Bargate

Paul,

Spot on, those would be my views too.

I believe all ZK mounts are full frame because the Zeiss lenses are.

EDIT: 77mm F/1.8 Limited excellent.

Last edited:

mediumcool

Pentax greatest weakness - lack of modern, full frame lenses, or support (at the moment) from Sigma (save the 35mm F/1.4) and Tamron.
Like Quentin, I shall comment about what I know (only sensible, after all!).

2. Pentax 77mm Limited F/1.8. Old fashioned lens, small, well made, I will be giving it its first proper outing tomorrow to photograph some colleagues. Pentax really need an updated version maybe 85mm, F1.4.
Old-fashioned? How so? And f/1.8 is not much slower than f/1.4.

3. Pentax 100mm Macro F/2.8. Much smaller than expected. Weather resistant. Great results. noisy screw drive, but it works and is accurate.
The Cosina 100/3.5 Macro is something of a sleeper—light (aka flimsy) but it delivers excellent results. I sold mine because its equivalent F/F focal length did not appeal to me on APS. Wish I still had it.

Other options include Zeiss ZK lenses used, or "Leitax" mount conversions of Leica or Zeiss manual focus lenses.
Let’s not forget the Leitax mount kits for Contax (looking for a Planar 50/1.7—had one in the ’80s and remember it well) and the Olympus OM mount, with such lenses as the superb 21s, 24 and 35 shift lenses (I have a 35 shift for my Sony a7), the legendary 35–80, and others. My 35 Olympus shift and yet-to-come Planar will be kitted with Leitax K mounts over time.

I will be keeping my a7 until I can afford a K-1 (pension) and will accumulate suitable lenses accordingly.

I hope that sales figures for the K-1 provide impetus for other parties to consider Pentax once again.

Paul2660

Thanks to all, I have considered the 28-105 and will probably go ahead with that.

Mediumcool, I will look at your list also. I really wish more of the SK Zeiss were still around, but only seems that 35mm F2 and 25mm F2 are readily available. Would love to find the 100mm, (if it was made in SK).

A bit of feedback on the 15-30.

15mm to 21mm excellent all round lens, also very nice wide open for sharpness, however 24 to 30, that same sharpness falls off a bit, (at least on mine). The hyperfocal range from 24 to 30mm really drops.

Picked up the Nisi filter adapter for the 15-30 and it works great.

Paul C