The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax K1, using pixel shift and studio LED lights.

Quentin_Bargate

If you use a K1, you probably appreciate the benefits of using Pixel Shift when possible. The major limiting obstacle is the unfortunate fact that the K1 cannot (easily - there are workarounds) be used with studio strobes.

I have a small studio kitted out with Bowens monoblocs which I have used successfully with a Hasselblad H5D-200MS multi-shot camera, and the biggest lift in quality over single shot is using that camera in 4-shot mode, so the file size remains the same (50mp) but full colour information is captured at each photosite. Images are much sharper, more detailed.

The K1 similarly captures full colour info at each photo site if "pixel shift" is enabled. Why then can the K1 not be used in the studio on a tripod when shooting food, products still life etc?

Well of course, the K1 can be used for these subjects but only if "hot" lights are used.

Or better yet, good quality LED continuous lighting. With that in mind, I have recently acquired a Rotolight Anova Pro colour LED light to use along with a Rotolight Neo portable light. I accept it is an expensive solution, but is a good one? There are much cheaper Chinese made LED lights that would do, albeit less powerful and their colour temp accuracy might be questionable.

Today, I hope to have the chance for some initial tests to see how I get on before I have a trip that will take me away from the studio for a week or so (and I have work to do on other businesses). I will post updates later on, assuming all goes well.

Quentin_Bargate

First shot taken with the above setup.

K1, Pentax DFA Macro 100mm, ISO200, F/9, 1/20 sec, pixel shift.

You won't see it properly here, but the quality is awesome, no noise, great detail. I routinely output K1 shifted files from ACR at 10,000 x 6,674 (66mp). The results are a match or better when compared to a MF one shot file of the same native size. ACR is fine if there is no subject movement.

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

Final thoughts for now: this is the future of studio lighting. The Anova Pro has adjustable colour temperature from 3150 (quite yellow) to 6300 (very cool), Around 5500 seems best. Also, a wide range of special effects are built in more suited to the videographer. But for the K1 shooter, it's allows studio use of pixel shift, so transforms studio use of the K1.

The Rotolight Anova Pro can also surprisingly be used just like a regular flash using the usual trigger arrangement. Not as powerful as a strobe, but in every other respect superior.

I'm not paid to write this, I'm just a paying customer and a fan :thumbup:

Final thoughts for now: this is the future of studio lighting. The Anova Pro has adjustable colour temperature from 3150 (quite yellow) to 6300 (very cool), Around 5500 seems best. Also, a wide range of special effects are built in more suited to the videographer. But for the K1 shooter, it's allows studio use of pixel shift, so transforms studio use of the K1.

The Rotolight Anova Pro can also surprisingly be used just like a regular flash using the usual trigger arrangement. Not as powerful as a strobe, but in every other respect superior.

I'm not paid to write this, I'm just a paying customer and a fan :thumbup:
Thanks, yes indeed LED Light sources are better almost every month. That lights are quite pricey, cheapest option are good classical bulbs. Only big issue, temperature, so chees will be very smelly :)

Quentin_Bargate

Thanks, yes indeed LED Light sources are better almost every month. That lights are quite pricey, cheapest option are good classical bulbs. Only big issue, temperature, so chees will be very smelly :)
I love ripe cheese, and here in the hot climate of Southern Italy, I am in the perfect place to enjoy it!

nikonf

Hello Quentin,

This looks like the perfect solution for my studio photography lighting. I experimented with the Chinese LED lights and I was not happy with the color quality with my Hasselblad H4D40. The metering was also not accurate with these lights.

I am interested in your findings.

Best,
Mike
I love ripe cheese, and here in the hot climate of Southern Italy, I am in the perfect place to enjoy it!

Quentin_Bargate

Hello Quentin,

This looks like the perfect solution for my studio photography lighting. I experimented with the Chinese LED lights and I was not happy with the color quality with my Hasselblad H4D40. The metering was also not accurate with these lights.

I am interested in your findings.

Best,
Mike
Mike,

I have more testing to do, but the concept is proven and the Rotolight Anova Pro is colour accurate and better yet, adjustable and cosistent. It can also be trggered to work like traditional flash.

Quentin_Bargate

Self -portrait using Rotolight Anova and some fill with a Rotolight Neo. Pentax K1, 77mm Limited, 1/60 sec, F/2.8. Not easy focusing manually and judging the focus point, etc. I was slightly out (back focused) but it was fine for the intended purpose! In any event, it illustrates the potential when taking a more considered shot.