The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Irix 15mm for Pentax

Paul2660

Has anyone heard when Irix might have either of the
15mm lenses available in Pentax K mount?

Right now they only show Nikon being available.

Thanks
Paul C

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi Paul,

I did send them a mail and got an answer yesterday; The lens should be available in Pentax mount in two weeks.
I sure hope so because I plan to take in on a trip the 27th.

Paul2660

Thanks for the heads up Michiel.

I ordered one from their site, which has shipped. They are a bit slow on responses IMO, still trying to get tracking info.

Will report back once received.

Paul C

Michiel Schierbeek

First picture with the IRIX. Hard to get sharp pictures from it. I did take some pictures in the house when it arrived and it did not look promising.
I have to go out more but the weather was dreadfull as usual when a new lens arrives. :)
This was @ 11 ISO 100 and selftimer on a window-sill. The corners on the left are original but I cut of some of the right side for compositional reasons.

Michiel Schierbeek

A "non place" picture with the IRIX. Not as sharp as the Pentax 31 Limited. Still a bit disapointed.
May be I have to fine tune the AF, will look into that tomorrow. At a bit distance distortion is neglectable.

Knorp

Michiel, just a thought: isn't the Irix lower in micro-contrast and therefore initially appears less sharp ?

Paul2660

Hi Michiel

You mentioned fine tuning the AF? The Irix is manual focus isn't it? Are you using focus peaking with ththe Irix?

There is a food review on Lenstip now.

Paul C

Michiel Schierbeek

My experience this far is that you need to focus very carefully for interiors. In deed Paul, on a tripod with focus peaking .
This way you get good results. So walk in to a space and take some good interior shots will not be easy (most cathedrals etc tripods are forbidden.)
I could do this with my Samyang on the A7r and correct the horrible distortion with PTlens.
Only very close by distortion starts to get disturbing, but easy to correct, not the complicated wave distortion from the Samyang.
Also one does not always have the time and lust to use the tripod.
So in fact I found the Samyang a bit sharper especially in close by circumstances. Lenstip mentions this as well.
I think this is more of a landscape/ starscape lens then a lens to walk around in narrow streets and interiors.
In that case it is quiet hard to focus and lenstip confirms that, so put it on the nice infinity stop and take a few steps back if possible.
I did pixelpeep, (not my favourite hobby) and could not find any progress by AF tuning.

So it is not an easy lens but I hope to get to know it better and get better results. These are early observations.
(I do regret now that I did not buy the cheaper version)

BTW If you like you can take a look at my new webste under my signature.

Last edited:
My experience this far is that you need to focus very carefully for interiors. In deed Paul, on a tripod with focus peaking .
This way you get good results. So walk in to a space and take some good interior shots will not be easy (most cathedrals etc tripods are forbidden.)
I could do this with my Samyang on the A7r and correct the horrible distortion with PTlens.
Only very close by distortion starts to get disturbing, but easy to correct, not the complicated wave distortion from the Samyang.
Also one does not always have the time and lust to use the tripod.
So in fact I found the Samyang a bit sharper especially in close by circumstances. Lenstip mentions this as well.
I think this is more of a landscape/ starscape lens then a lens to walk around in narrow streets and interiors.
In that case it is quiet hard to focus and lenstip confirms that, so put it on the nice infinity stop and take a few steps back if possible.
I did pixelpeep, (not my favourite hobby) and could not find any progress by AF tuning.

So it is not an easy lens but I hope to get to know it better and get better results. These are early observations.
(I do regret now that I did not buy the cheaper version)

BTW If you like you can take a look at my new webste under my signature.
BTW: I like you website especially the simplicity of it. Content is great and very impressive congratz! :)

Thanks for your review! When I read review at lenstip (optyczne in Polish) I have been very sceptic about this lens.

And Irix is not for me. Manual super wide lens require LV of EVF. I've learn that lesson with Samyang 16 f2.0 with Pentax K5. With K1 shallow DOF is even more problematic.

So I personally choose AF lens for UVA. But as my budget is short, I choose pentax fisheye zoom F 17-28. Of course film era. But as I found K1 have sensor prepared for film era lenses.
So if you are still looking for something wide and small and easy to use:

Hand held photo, F-17-28@ 17mm f/5, 1/25s, ISO 800, port correction in LR.

1:1 crops from center and corners

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi Michiel

You mentioned fine tuning the AF? The Irix is manual focus isn't it? Are you using focus peaking with ththe Irix?

There is a food review on Lenstip now.

Paul C
Yes it is a bit obtuse but I thought may be the infinity point with a click was not on the right spot and could be corrected this way.
I am very curious what your experiences with this lens will be as being technically much more literate as I am.
Anyway i am warned to take care with focussing especially with interior shots. I still hope I can make good use of this lens on my
next trip to the Extremadura in Spain.

Paul2660

Mine is slowly making it's way across the Pond, hopefully will show up one day this week.

I would also add, I have the Rokinon 20mm 1.8 and will report back on it in a different post.
Very good lens, but has some astigmatism in the corners, about the worse in a wide I have seen.

Paul C

Michiel Schierbeek

Getting the hang of this lens.

BTW With the last firmware update be aware of the fact that it resets "using an aperture ring " will be reset to disabled. Took me quiet some time to find out
why there was no focus conformation and no focal length adjustment possible. ( With some help of my friends :) )

- Looking at Paul Nassenstein -

Looking outside

Paul2660

Yes, the Samyang 14mm has very similar results. The two lenses are very close, however the fact that the Irix allows you to use 95mm filters, makes the 15mm Irix a better fit for me. Still need to test the Irix for coma hoping to do that soon.

Paul Caldwell

Yes, the Samyang 14mm has very similar results. The two lenses are very close, however the fact that the Irix allows you to use 95mm filters, makes the 15mm Irix a better fit for me. Still need to test the Irix for coma hoping to do that soon.

Paul Caldwell
I will choose other way. Tomorrow I will try Carl Zeiss Jena FLEKTOGON 20/4 as it is zero distortion lens. But for wider option I'm waiting for Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D it is much smaller than Irix and Samyang and give ultra wide :).

Paul2660

I will choose other way. Tomorrow I will try Carl Zeiss Jena FLEKTOGON 20/4 as it is zero distortion lens. But for wider option I'm waiting for Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D it is much smaller than Irix and Samyang and give ultra wide :).
I agree the 12mm looks interesting indeed. First reviews are good also.

Paul Caldwell