Site Sponsors

Thread: Ghosts of the Salton Sea, CA workshop, Feb 28th through March 5th

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ghosts of the Salton Sea, CA workshop, Feb 28th through March 5th

UPDATE!!!

We have recieved excellent news regarding the wildflower display while we're in teh Salton Sea area. First it Anza Borrego, which is about an hour away and is already starting a great bloom! Second is Joshua Tree, which is 30 minutes away and should be only 4 days behind Anzo Borrego. The Slaton Sea/Indio are is between these two locations in latitude, so also has excellent prospects:

http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca_abdsp.html

http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca_jtnp.html

Best news is, we have one spot available still, and it's not too late to join in!!! Contact Jack via email or PM if interested, but please do it ASAP!

Special Workshop Announcement: Ghosts of the Salton Sea and surrounding area in Southern California!

Hi Folks!

On past workshops we’ve asked a few of you what you would think of a more shooting weighted workshop in a remote location, with more difficult logistics than our typical shoots, but one that would allow you to capture some very unique landscapes? Your response was resoundingly positive, so we’ve decided to try this new format for our first workshop of 2010!

Next thing to note is based on similar feedback, we’ve decided to make this workshop "all-inclusive," meaning we'll be providing transportation to and from the Phoenix or SF Bay Area, including all lodging costs, 2 main meals per day plus on the road snacks, sodas and water. Nothing else for you to worry about other than getting to one of the staging locations for pick-up!

This workshop will be held Sunday, February 28th through Friday, March 5th and the venue is going to be the Salton Sea in Southern CA. The logistics for this venue are a bit more difficult because the entire Salton Sea is basically a collection of ghost towns, with one or two that are in the final stages of gasping at the last legs of life before going ghost. As such, it makes for STUNNING photographic possibilities (I’ve included some images at the end of this email) but there is no place to lodge that isn’t pretty shabby, and there are not really any decent restaurants. (There is one truck-stop restaurant that’s passable and a few gas station minimarts for food in the surrounding area for packaged snacks and drinks, but that's about it.) So we will be staying in the town of Indio, which has nice accommodations and a selection of good restaurants.

The hard part is that Indio is between a 45-minute and 1-1/2 hour drive away, depending on which area of the Salton Sea we will be shooting. This means we need to get up earlier than normal to be in position for sunrise (about 6:10 AM), then likely return to Indio after the morning shoot to have a late breakfast/early lunch. Then we head to our rooms for a few hours of freshening up and napping before heading back to Salton Sea for the evening shoot through sunset (about 5:45 PM). So we'll not be getting back to Indio until maybe 7:30 or 8 in the evening for a later dinner. However, we also want to remain flexible for the best shooting opportunities, so depending on actual shooting conditions when we’re there -- like a killer thunder storm or stunning cloud formations, we may elect as a group to grab basic eats for lunch at the truck-stop and continue shooting in the SS area. We will also have our vehicles filled with some basic provisions and snack foods for the group, like water, your soda of choice, trail mix, power bars, jerky, etc.

We will photograph like this on Monday and Tuesday, then take Wednesday early morning off, meet around 8AM for breakfast, then spend the rest of the morning doing an informal group processing and image sharing session. We then head out in to do an afternoon/evening shoot back at the Salton Sea or possibly even Joshua Trees National Park, depending on conditions and the group’s interests. Thursday will be another full day of shooting, giving us a chance to go back to any area we want to shoot more of, or explore a totally new area.

As I mentioned above, the other shooting opportunity reasonably close by is Joshua Trees National Park. Joshua Trees is another stunning area photographically with a couple of areas of rock formations in the North end that resemble a lunar landscape, and with our timing, we could possibly hit a very good desert wildflower display as well. The South boundary area of Joshua Trees generally has the best and earliest wildflower displays and happens to be the area we’re closest to. (Frankly, I think that is unlikely we will tire of Salton Sea, but Joshua Trees gives us an outstanding change of scenery option, especially if a good bloom is on. But desert blooms are so variable we will not know the extent or quality until about a week before we arrive on location.)

Again we’re making this trip all-inclusive. We will be providing transportation – Guy and I will be renting Suburbans or large passenger vans – and we will also be covering your meals (but not alcohol) and lodging costs. For the pick-ups, Guy and I will drive from the Palm Springs Airport, about a half-hour drive from Indio. Guy will drive in from Phoenix and I will drive from the Bay Area the day before. Phoenix to Indio is about 4-1/2 hours of driving, while San Jose to Indio is about 7-1/2 hours of driving. We will pick you up in Palm Springs around 3PM on Sunday, then drive to Indio and enjoy a welcome dinner together, possibly having enough time to do a quick sunset shoot the first day before our welcome dinner. Day 2, 3, 4 and 5 are the shooting days as described above. Day 6, Friday the 5th of March, is a final group breakfast and the return to Palm Springs airport and our drives to San Jose and Phoenix for the return trip home. You could alternatively drive from the San Diego area and meet us in Indio for the main workshop if that is more convenient for you, San Diego to Indio is about a 3-hour drive.

The cost for this workshop including transportation to and from the Palm Springs airport and in an around the workshop shooting areas, lodging for 5 nights at a Best Western (or equivalent) in Indio, two full meals per day plus snacks, will be $3695 per person.

Here are just a few photos I took in Salton Sea a few years ago in early December. Note that the corrosive nature of the alkali soil literally eats buildings and vehicles from the ground up, so you have many structures that are half-height and shrinking, appearing to be sinking into the ground – very weird:

And "Salvation Mountain" near a trailer city along the Salton Sea:

I have not been to Joshua Trees since I started shooting digitally, so would have to find some of my old film and scan it for you. Instead, here are some generic links to images from Joshua Tress NP to give you an idea of what is there:

http://www.und.edu/instruct/mineral/joshua%20tree.jpg

http://tripcart.typepad.com/tripcart..._by_hiro00.jpg

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...e-national.jpg

We hope you are as excited about the prospects of this trip as we are, and hope you can join us for this one! Note that because of the transportation issue with this particular shoot, we are also going to limit the number of attendees initially to 8, and then will start a wait list.

Email or PM Jack (jack-at-getdpi-dot-com), payment by check preferred.

Jack and Guy
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Ghosts of the Salton Sea, CA workshop, Feb 28th through March 5th

Okay it's New Years and the party is over , time to get serious about your photography. Time to sign up folks we only have a few slots left.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We have the 6th slot spoken for and we getting down to the wire on space available.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Last call on this one slot we have available . This is a small workshop and heavily on the shooting side plus a lot of folks doing IR work and also working with GF1 cams besides the typical M and MF stuff. Great chance to really dive in and get some great images and learn a ton on shooting. We will also spend some time just on the IR work with processing. Also should be noted we just received heavy rains in this area as well as the Phoenix area and already the desert is starting to green up very nicely. We may have a amazing opportunity to hit Joshua Tree in full bloom on the wild flowers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just noticed this from Doug over at Capture Integration his blog on our last workshop.

http://www.captureintegration.com/20...on-panoramics/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just a FYI we will have several new bags from http://www.fstopgear.com/ folks to demo. Plus some other gear goodies as well being sent in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also Leica is sending me the S2 again to take on this workshop for the attendees to work with. Only the 70mm this time , since they have a show going at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We have recieved excellent news regarding the wildflower display while we're in teh Salton Sea area. First it Anzo Borrego, which is about an hour away and is already starting a great bloom! Second is Joshua Tree, which is 30 minutes away and should be only 4 days behind Anzo Borrego. The Slaton Sea/Indio are is between these two locations in latitude, so also has excellent prospects:

http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca_abdsp.html

http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca_jtnp.html

Best news is, we have one spot available still, and it's not too late to join in!!!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just a FYI as I leave this morning for the workshop, I'm leaving two days in advance to scout locations. The folks at Capture Integration sent us a Phase 80mm LS lens to test out. I do have my Elinchrom Quadra Ranger with me to see if I can get 1/1600 with my Skyport and also Jack and I will be doing a head to head between the 80mm D and 80mm LS lenses and see how they render to each other. Also a Cambo RS was sent with a 24mm and 40mm T/S lens.

Also Leica sent in a S2 with 70mm lens for folks to use and also a X1 which Terry will be doing a review on in the coming days.

Plus we have FStop Gear bags here on board to review and use on this workshop.

Please look forward to coming reports and many images from our attendees in the coming days.

We still have the one extra slot if anyone decides today to attend. Contact Jack

Have fun everyone. Wish us good light.

On the road again. Windows down , fresh air and nothing but Photography and Friends to look forward too!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Morning Welcome to the 2010 Salton Sea Workshop. The workshop is now in full progress. Our first evening together photo shoot . This is a 3 shot Pano

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post