The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Epson 4880 for $899

I just saw a great price for an Epson 4880. It is $899 after two rebates ($500 and $350) with free CONUS shipping. That is a heck of a deal so it makes me think there may be a new model coming soon. After all, the 4880 has been out for quite a while.

Here is the link to the place that has the deal. I have no connection to this company and feel sure you could probably get other reputable dealers to match the price or at least get close.

http://www.proimagingsupplies.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5385

Mark

Ben Rubinstein

The price shown at that link is $2K, even with those rebates I'm puzzled as to the final price of $899 that you suggest. Isn't the 4880 new though?

If that price is true it's one heck of a deal, cheaper than the 3880 if I'm not mistaken!

Ben, I am pretty sure it is a real deal. I just checked the link and when you put the item in the shopping cart the price is $1749 and there is $850 in rebates which brings the final price to $899.

T

tetsrfun

Ben, I am pretty sure it is a real deal. I just checked the link and when you put the item in the shopping cart the price is $1749 and there is $850 in rebates which brings the final price to $899.
It's real. I ordered one. There is a two week "window", ending Sept 30, where two Epson factory rebates are "stackable" for a total of $850. It's pretty amazing since a set of Ink for the 4880 sell for about $400.

I got a little bit of "cold feet", like WTF did I do, when the retailer called and asked if it was being delivered to a loading dock or did I need lift-gate service. Apparently the total weight of the delivery pallet is >130#.

Steve

T

tetsrfun

I should have mentioned that shipping is free, however, if lift-gate service is required it's an additional $50.00 which seems to be a standard fee.

Steve

T

tetsrfun

Gary check with IT Supplies...They overnight air-freighted mine for free...When I checked pricing at several other dealers, B&H charged $200 for 5-7 day ground. Mine arrived today and it's a great printer. My 3800 is going to a good home.

The only issue with the 4880 is the black ink change...If you are printing both Matte and Glossy, you don't want this printer. The ink change is a PITA and cost ~$50 in wasted ink per change.

Steve

T

tetsrfun

Gary the "fine print" on the rebate form says purchase from an "Authorized Professional Imaging Reseller"......

The only one listed on the Epson site is Alaska Printer's Supply, in Anchorage...

(I am still trying to figure out if there is a "catch" on the price...out of the $899, ~$600 is ink and the disposable ink "tank".)

Steve

bensonga

I checked with our one and only local Epson Pro dealer....they charge full retail ($1,995), but only $125 for shipping....so the price comes out the same as InkjetArt. I will contact Pro Imaging Supplies on Monday to see what they would charge for shipping to Alaska....I'm quite sure it won't be free.....it never is to Alaska.

I would probably dedicate a 4880 to the glossy black ink for printing B&W on the Baryta type papers, leaving my Epson 2400 loaded with Matte black ink.

It's a great price....hard to pass up for sure!

Gary

T

tetsrfun

Gary also try "IT Supplies"...they charge $35 dollars less for lift-gate than Pro Imaging..

Steve

Stuart Richardson

Epson has some huge rebates going for reasons I can't quite understand. Probably the economy. I bought a 9900 recently, which is still a fairly new printer. Retail is 6000, but it was 5500 USD at LexJet, and Epson has a 1000 USD rebate. Free shipping in the US (then I put it on a boat here to Iceland). So you can get a 9900 to your door for 4500 USD. If it fits in the door that is...
You need two (reasonably strong) people to lift it though, and one to help direct it onto the stand. Of course, the pallet requires one of those mini-forklifts that delivery men use for things like pallets of soda etc...it is 400lbs.

I think there is a lot of value for money in these big printers though. Mine cost less than my M8 did when I bought it, and look at the thing!

O

Oxide Blu

Something to keep in mind about Epson's rebates -- they only apply to products purchased though authorized Epson retailers. There are a lot of folks selling Epson printers but as Epson (Calif) told me when I talked to them on the phone, they will not honor rebates if you purchased the printer from a seller not listed as 'authorized' on their website.

The link provided in this thread is to Professional Marketing Services - Arizona. They are listed on Epson's website as an authorized seller, so purchasing the printer from them should qualify for any Epson rebates.

With regard to the tailgate fee, the printer is 100-lbs, in a single box. I wanted to take one overseas (by air) but the cost was prohibitive -- over weight and over sise, would have cost $500 to send it, each way. :(

Stuart Richardson

I sent mine to Iceland, and I found the best way to ship it was to contract directly with a cargo company. Rather than dealing with the postal services, FedEx, DHL or UPS, talk to the freight companies. I used TVG Zimsen, which runs cargo ships between Iceland and the US. Other things to check would be the air cargo companies -- for Iceland it would be Icelandair Cargo, but for Japan it would be JAL cargo, ANA cargo etc. To give you an idea of the savings, B&H quoted 3000 USD for shipping, and I paid 700. Granted, this is still a great deal, but it is a 400lb shipping crate that is 81 inches long, 31 inches wide and perhaps 40 inches tall. For me, it was still the best option as these printers are available only by special order in Iceland, in a 10,000 USD+ price range.

bensonga

I bought a 9900 recently, which is still a fairly new printer......So you can get a 9900 to your door for 4500 USD. If it fits in the door that is...
Now THAT is a serious printer! Congratulations on a fine purchase Stuart. I assume you will be using this in your new printing business?

I'm struggling a bit to figure how I would fit a 4880 in my office.....needless to say, no hope for one of these beasts. :)

Gary

jlm

Workshop Member
gary:

I'm sure my 4880 needs a home in alaska...I still have it and would be happy to make you a great deal. It has a pile of new ink and Imageprint 7

Stuart Richardson

Thanks Gary -- yes, this will be the digital mainstay of the printing business. It is certainly not a printer that one can casually have in their office though, that is for sure.

Stuart Richardson

tax was 24.5%, as it is with all items here, and there were no additional clearance fees. So overall, yes, it cost me a heck of a lot more than it would cost me in the US, but that said, it was still cheaper than being able to buy it here. I will get the 24.5% back in taxes too, so that is not as bad as it could be.