The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Monaco Not-So-EZ Color?

gsking

Okay, anyone know how to use this simple-yet-overly-complex program? I tried it, and it sent my reds off the scale.

How to I print a target with "no corrections"? Do I tell Lightroom the printer is managing the color, and tell the printer the computer is managing the color? That seems to be the only way to turn off all ICC profiling.

So my R800 prints out a very drab output, which then is "corrected" by the scanner to something that looks appropriately "bright"...particularly in the red channel correction.

Of course, when I then select that ICC profile, the output is completely overcorrected and blown out in the red.

I'm not trying ANYTHING tough...just trying to get any of my home printers to print something resembling proper skin tone. Not sure why Costco can do it, but Epson and Canon can't get it right. I guess it's their way to make you go broke buying their $&$( ink?

Thanks,
Greg

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I wish they'd stop selling that software. It's not viable to profile a printer with a scanner. Sorry to be so blunt, but it just isn't going to produce results that any serious photographer finds acceptable.

gsking

Jan,

Hey, thanks!!! At least you've vindicated me. :) Fortunately, I got it free, and it saved me buying a whole new scanner to get it bundled.

I'd go further and say it doesn't produce results that ANYONE would find acceptable.

I'm done then...no more home printing for me. This Epson R800 goes in the sh*tcan (useless hunk of junk)...unless anyone wants to take it off my hands.

I'm back to Costco and Artscow. Heck, it might take two weeks, but $1.50 for an 11x14 just can't be beat.

Especially when the color is always spot on. ;)

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Don't be so quick to toss the R800... hunt around on the net and see if you can find free profiles. They're usually not perfect due to individual unit variation, but should at least be ballpark. Many paper makers also provide profiles for a variety of printers.

gsking

Don't be so quick to toss the R800... hunt around on the net and see if you can find free profiles. They're usually not perfect due to individual unit variation, but should at least be ballpark. Many paper makers also provide profiles for a variety of printers.
Well, considering the facts that it voraciously guzzles ink, gets clogged after a day of nonuse (if not DURING use), and at best leaves visible lines in my photos...I'm thinking the paper isn't the problem. :D

So even solving the color problem, I'll still be stuck with a printer that gives me worse results for more money than I can get at Costco. Heck, I was just looking at Epson 4x6 paper today, and their 5-star stuff is 27 cents a sheet. I can get prints for HALF that.

Granted, my Epson 4x6 portable printer does a great job, and I'll continue to use it...but now I'm even getting picky with its color balance. And it comes with a matched ink/paper set, so I have no profiles to fiddle with.

Basically, Epson has lost my printing business for good. I'm just glad I didn't give them another $500+ for another scanner just to be dismayed at the bundled software they cobbled together.

I have a cheap Canon in the garage that I'm sure will give me better results. If not, I'm out the $50, which is less than the costs of an ink refill.

Greg

gsking

Upon furthur review, I've determined that most of the blame may actually lie with Lightroom! If I print directly from Windows or Picasa, I can get decent color rendition. If, however, I use IDENTICAL settings in LR, the colors are completely off.

Who can I shoot for making this so difficult???