The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightroom, Epson Printers and Snow Leopard

jonoslack

Nah. Not even in the same ballpark. Aside from the peskiness of having to download a driver for my mouse and one for the printer, it has been seamless and faultless.

But you could easily just stick with Leopard and run a 3800 from LR. Bet you wouldn't even see a difference. Whatever speed advantage the 64 bit might offer, if you collected the time saved in 64-bit over 6 months, would probably amount to the same amount of time it has taken to initiate, track, and respond to this thread.
HI There
So - you're running SL in 64 bit mode, Lightroom in 64 bit mode, and printing to your 3800?

Tell me true oh guru!

I don't want to buy a 3800 unless I can be sure that it will work okay in SL at a later date (even if I do decide to stick with Leopard for now). . . . which is likely anyway.

D

ddk

It will run native in the future, there was 3-4 month delay with all my print drivers from 10.4 to 10.5 too, eventually they were all updated. Its the same story again, at least I can print to my networked 3800 in SL. As far as speed goes I see no difference in printing between Leopard and SL, and why should there be the heads aren't going to move any faster and the spooling time for 10 files was exactly the same in both OSs. I ran a test recently where I needed to print multiple copies of the same files.

3800 is highly recommended!

nostatic

I find LR to run a bit pokey on my macbookpro (which is core2duo so should be 64bit). I checked and LR should be in 64 bit mode. This is with a test library of about 150 images. That worries me a little...

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
HI There
So - you're running SL in 64 bit mode, Lightroom in 64 bit mode, and printing to your 3800?

Yes, yes, and yes. See my post above for a link to the latest Epson driver.

Here's some proof. A screen shot showing LR with the print dialog open and the 3800 recognized. Plus, a screen shot of the utility that enables me to see how my system is booting.

jonoslack

It will run native in the future, there was 3-4 month delay with all my print drivers from 10.4 to 10.5 too, eventually they were all updated. Its the same story again, at least I can print to my networked 3800 in SL. As far as speed goes I see no difference in printing between Leopard and SL, and why should there be the heads aren't going to move any faster and the spooling time for 10 files was exactly the same in both OSs. I ran a test recently where I needed to print multiple copies of the same files.

3800 is highly recommended!
Hi David
thank you for that . . . I think I might be a bit crochety tonight (6 hours of meetings today) - good meetings, but there's enough to do without struggling with printers and Lightroom!

Yes, yes, and yes. See my post above for a link to the latest Epson driver.

Here's some proof. A screen shot showing LR with the print dialog open and the 3800 recognized. Plus, a screen shot of the utility that enables me to see how my system is booting.
Of course I trust you . . . feeling better already. It's just that, right now, I can get a 3800 at almost 1/2 the price of a 3800, which is pretty tempting, but I really don't need hassle!

Thank you all

T

tetsrfun

LR 64 bit/ SNL and 3800 worked fine for me but I couldn't resist the $899 USD 4880 and gave the 3800 to a friend.

Steve

Hi Jonathan

I was about to buy the same printer (3880) and it's hard to understand why Epson doesn't have a Snow Leopard driver available. Apple pre-announced the heck out of it but Epson was, apparently, still surprised when it appeared. Epson is turning out some really impressive hardware with their new 7900 9900 and up printers but the driver software is just not up to the hardware and needs serious work.

Paul

jonoslack

LR 64 bit/ SNL and 3800 worked fine for me but I couldn't resist the $899 USD 4880 and gave the 3800 to a friend.

Steve
Hi Steve
If I could get a 4880 here for that price I would (in a second), but the best I can get is more than twice that :eek:

Eoin

As for your MBP not booting into 64 bit, here's a link to a bit of freeware that you can use to see if your laptop can actually run in 64 bit. It also allows you to easily choose which mode you want to boot in.
Thanks for the link, but it looks like I have a MacBook Pro that is technically able to run a 64-bit kernel, this is not currently enabled by Apple.:deadhorse:

Jono did you check your MBP for compatibility?.
I also got the driver working properly last night so everything is working as it should but 32bit only
I've got to agree with the others, the 3800 is a serious printer and I'm very happy with the output, I just love the prints I'm getting with Hahnemuhle rags and baryta. Ilford GFS for general day to day stuff is also excellent. :thumbs:

jonoslack

Thanks for the link, but it looks like I have a MacBook Pro that is technically able to run a 64-bit kernel, this is not currently enabled by Apple.:deadhorse:

Jono did you check your MBP for compatibility?.
I also got the driver working properly last night so everything is working as it should but 32bit only
I've got to agree with the others, the 3800 is a serious printer and I'm very happy with the output, I just love the prints I'm getting with Hahnemuhle rags and baryta. Ilford GFS for general day to day stuff is also excellent. :thumbs:
Well, it's a 17" unibody MBP, so it certainly ought to run a 64 bit kernel!
I'm still dithering whether to use Lightroom or not . . . . I thought it would be simpler, but it's looking less so at the moment. As for SL, I think I'll do it when I need it rather than straight away!

jonoslack

Well, well, I never thought I'd see the day when Jono would drop Aperture.
:ROTFL:
Well Eoin. I had a few hours this evening, so I settled down to do some galleries of photographs from Crete in Lightroom. I wanted to select on combinations of keywords within particular folders - i.e. pictures with more than a certain rating and with a complete set of keywords. . . it would seem I couldn't do that. never daunted I found a way around it by typing them in manually, but compared to the Aperture keyword select function, what a palaver.

Then I thought I'd do some printing comparisons between lightroom and aperture (I dropped the Epson 4000 and it's working again). Not wanting to be biased I showed the prints to my wife . . .. .

So, you haven't seen the day when Jono would drop Aperture

Eoin

....So, you haven't seen the day when Jono would drop Aperture
I though you were loosing your marbles there for a moment, glad to see your Wife gave her considered advice :lecture:, and more importantly you took it,:ROTFL:.