Site Sponsors

Thread: Lightroom, Epson Printers and Snow Leopard

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lightroom, Epson Printers and Snow Leopard

Hi there
    I'm considering ditching Aperture in favour of Lightroom . . . . However, at the moment the only way I can print to my old Epson 4000 printer is by running lightroom in 32 bit mode (which makes it depressingly slow). . . . . . and I'm still running on Leopard (too much hassle to support the 4000).

However, my Epson 4000 really is nearly dead (poor thing). It's been coming up with Service messages for a couple of years now suggesting that it's dead. I've found that lifting it 1/2" off the ground and then dropping it has usually made it come back to life

However, it really is now looking a bit terminal.

So - to my point -
    Does (for instance) the 3800 run properly under Snow Leopard using Lightroom in 64 bit mode?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Lightroom, Epson Printers and Snow Leopard

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi there...
    However, my Epson 4000 really is nearly dead (poor thing). It's been coming up with Service messages for a couple of years now suggesting that it's dead. I've found that lifting it 1/2" off the ground and then dropping it has usually made it come back to life
    Some rescuscitation technique. Do you give it mouth-to-mouth as well?
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Jono, immediately after reading your post about switching to LR, I received an email from Adobe offering a 15% discount on the purchase of LR for any friends I refer to Adobe who end up buying LR. If I get two friends to buy the software, I receive a $50 gift card for Amazon.

So OK, I'm willing to believe that you might have other friends (beside me, *sniff*) that already own LR and would refer you so that they might be eligible for the coupon and you for the discount. But just in case you don't, let me know and I'll send in your name.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    Some rescuscitation technique. Do you give it mouth-to-mouth as well?
    Well, there's plenty of mouth involved, I can tell you that!
    in fact

also

and

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    Hey Jono, immediately after reading your post about switching to LR, I received an email from Adobe offering a 15% discount on the purchase of LR for any friends I refer to Adobe who end up buying LR. If I get two friends to buy the software, I receive a $50 gift card for Amazon.

So OK, I'm willing to believe that you might have other friends (beside me, *sniff*) that already own LR and would refer you so that they might be eligible for the coupon and you for the discount. But just in case you don't, let me know and I'll send in your name.
    Hi There
    I don't think it'll work for us in the UK . . . but I already have lightroom anyway.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jonathan

Since you are contemplating buying a 3800, be aware that Epson has announced the 3880 that should be shipping within the next few weeks. That being said, the current prices/rebates on the 3800 are as good as I've seen.

HTH
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm very keen for you to get a 3800/3880 Jono, so you can tell me if it's worth it. I'm sure it will work will with your system.
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know hoards of folks who own and use the 3800 (as I do as well) and all are universal in their praise.

Large cartridges make for much better ink use efficiency.

Colors are almost identical to my 7880. Difference is probably in the profiles.

Works well with most paper (sometimes have to use the rear sheet feed for very thick papers e.g. VFA)

No rational roll paper option. If you need the better price of rolls better to have a 7800 / 7880

Just a few of my personal observations

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Use Lr as a posh viewer 'cos its updated more than Aperture; from Lr choose edit in [insert fav program] do whatever corrections, print from there? Too simple?
    Sláinte

Robert.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks everyone.
    So, everyone seems to recommend the 3800 (cheap right now).
    BUT

Nobody can tell me whether it works with Lightroom 2 in 64 bit mode on Snow Leopard . . . . .. pretty please?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there
    I'm considering ditching Aperture in favour of Lightroom . . . . However, at the moment the only way I can print to my old Epson 4000 printer is by running lightroom in 32 bit mode (which makes it depressingly slow). . . . . . and I'm still running on Leopard (too much hassle to support the 4000).

However, it really is now looking a bit terminal.

So - to my point -
    Does (for instance) the 3800 run properly under Snow Leopard using Lightroom in 64 bit mode?
    Hi Jono,

My old Epson 4000 died last year and I replaced it with a Canon iPF6100. Fantastic printer with none of the early Epson maintenance problems, no clogging, frugal ink use, and just beautiful prints. I've been doing a lot of prints recently on Lexjet WR Satin which is great for gallery wraps and also for making backlit prints. I make my own custom icc printing profiles and do all of my printing from Lightroom. Currently using LR2.5 (64 bit mode) with the new Canon iPF drivers for Snow Leopard. Works perfectly with no more of the color management glitches that plagued earlier versions. Seems as though Adobe, Apple, and Canon (Epson also?) finally got their collective act together and resolved the previous CM problems. I would hope that if Epson released new drivers for Snow Leopard that you would also have no printing problems with Lightroom and the Epson 3800.

Regards,
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like

I can't add anything about your questions but can only mention that I've had the 3800 since the month it came out. I've never had a clog to this point. I've had the 1280, 2200--and several other smaller photo printers. I could never say the same about them, though the 2200 did better than the 1280. I just love the 3800 output--esp. for my monos.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Or here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669#epson
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL900

I just printed a B&W photo using LightRoom 2.5 and SnowLeopard on an Epson printer although it was a R280 and not the 3800. So we are still waiting for someone to report on the 3800. Print looks nice though even on the R280

-Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Can't answer your question, but am interested in when/if you switch to LR as I'm pondering the same thing. I'm also pondering a new printer but 3800/3880 is out of my budget at the moment - likely looking more in the $500 or so range. Epson has rebates on the 2880 so I might go that way.

Also not running Snow Leopard yet, but a new laptop is en-route so I will be shortly...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm running a Mac Pro Quad core with Snow Leopard and am able to print in 64-bit mode from Lightroom to my Epson 3800.

A new-ish driver is available from Epson and must be installed prior to printing. The driver is a bit confusing to find but can be downloaded directly from this link: http://macperformanceguide.com/SnowL...-Printing.html

Post Thanks / Like

Well, well, I never thought I'd see the day when Jono would drop Aperture.

Jono my 3800 won't call up the printer setting on SL for me under PS3. I had to revert to my G5 with Leopard to get some work done this week.

I've just installed rosetta on my MBP and downloaded the driver Terry pointed to so when I get home I'll try to get the whole thing going under SL on the MBP.

I can't even seem to get 64bit working on my MBP.

Regards
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I didn't try PS3 since Jono was asking about LR.

As for your MBP not booting into 64 bit, here's a link to a bit of freeware that you can use to see if your laptop can actually run in 64 bit. It also allows you to easily choose which mode you want to boot in.

http://www.ahatfullofsky.comuv.com/E...s/SMS/SMS.html

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This looks horrible
    I think I'll simply give up photography . . or maybe I'll buy a PC

What's clear is that:

1. running Lightroom with my current printer is rubbish (it'll only work in 32 bit mode, which is chronically slow)
    2. getting a new printer and installing SL is fraught with potential grief (works for some, not for others)
    3. getting a new printer without guaranteed SL support is madness
    4. I don't want to have to run Rosetta to get a printer to work.

Currently I'm running My Epson 4000 across the network, and it was working (I'll just have to drop the printer from a bit higher to get it to work again).

Which means several things.

1. I won't upgrade to SL yet
    2. I won't abandon Aperture for LR
    3. I won't get a GF1 or a replacement EP1
    4. I will sell my d-lux4

I have better things to do with my time!

Thanks everyone for chipping in and making it clear what to do!

If my printer is really dead, then I'll just give up on photography until the dust has settled properly.

SL is looking like Apple's competitor to Vista!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This looks horrible

SL is looking like Apple's competitor to Vista!
    Nah. Not even in the same ballpark. Aside from the peskiness of having to download a driver for my mouse and one for the printer, it has been seamless and faultless.

But you could easily just stick with Leopard and run a 3800 from LR. Bet you wouldn't even see a difference. Whatever speed advantage the 64 bit might offer, if you collected the time saved in 64-bit over 6 months, would probably amount to the same amount of time it has taken to initiate, track, and respond to this thread.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nah. Not even in the same ballpark. Aside from the peskiness of having to download a driver for my mouse and one for the printer, it has been seamless and faultless.

But you could easily just stick with Leopard and run a 3800 from LR. Bet you wouldn't even see a difference. Whatever speed advantage the 64 bit might offer, if you collected the time saved in 64-bit over 6 months, would probably amount to the same amount of time it has taken to initiate, track, and respond to this thread.
    HI There
    So - you're running SL in 64 bit mode, Lightroom in 64 bit mode, and printing to your 3800?

Tell me true oh guru!

I don't want to buy a 3800 unless I can be sure that it will work okay in SL at a later date (even if I do decide to stick with Leopard for now). . . . which is likely anyway.

Just this guy you know

ddk

It will run native in the future, there was 3-4 month delay with all my print drivers from 10.4 to 10.5 too, eventually they were all updated. Its the same story again, at least I can print to my networked 3800 in SL. As far as speed goes I see no difference in printing between Leopard and SL, and why should there be the heads aren't going to move any faster and the spooling time for 10 files was exactly the same in both OSs. I ran a test recently where I needed to print multiple copies of the same files.

3800 is highly recommended!

Post Thanks / Like

I find LR to run a bit pokey on my macbookpro (which is core2duo so should be 64bit). I checked and LR should be in 64 bit mode. This is with a test library of about 150 images. That worries me a little...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI There
    So - you're running SL in 64 bit mode, Lightroom in 64 bit mode, and printing to your 3800?

Yes, yes, and yes. See my post above for a link to the latest Epson driver.

Here's some proof. A screen shot showing LR with the print dialog open and the 3800 recognized. Plus, a screen shot of the utility that enables me to see how my system is booting.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    It will run native in the future, there was 3-4 month delay with all my print drivers from 10.4 to 10.5 too, eventually they were all updated. Its the same story again, at least I can print to my networked 3800 in SL. As far as speed goes I see no difference in printing between Leopard and SL, and why should there be the heads aren't going to move any faster and the spooling time for 10 files was exactly the same in both OSs. I ran a test recently where I needed to print multiple copies of the same files.

3800 is highly recommended!
    Hi David
    thank you for that . . . I think I might be a bit crochety tonight (6 hours of meetings today) - good meetings, but there's enough to do without struggling with printers and Lightroom!

Yes, yes, and yes. See my post above for a link to the latest Epson driver.

Here's some proof. A screen shot showing LR with the print dialog open and the 3800 recognized. Plus, a screen shot of the utility that enables me to see how my system is booting.
    Of course I trust you . . . feeling better already. It's just that, right now, I can get a 3800 at almost 1/2 the price of a 3800, which is pretty tempting, but I really don't need hassle!

Thank you all

Just this guy you know

tetsrfun

LR 64 bit/ SNL and 3800 worked fine for me but I couldn't resist the $899 USD 4880 and gave the 3800 to a friend.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jonathan

I was about to buy the same printer (3880) and it's hard to understand why Epson doesn't have a Snow Leopard driver available. Apple pre-announced the heck out of it but Epson was, apparently, still surprised when it appeared. Epson is turning out some really impressive hardware with their new 7900 9900 and up printers but the driver software is just not up to the hardware and needs serious work.

Paul

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    LR 64 bit/ SNL and 3800 worked fine for me but I couldn't resist the $899 USD 4880 and gave the 3800 to a friend.

Steve
    Hi Steve
    If I could get a 4880 here for that price I would (in a second), but the best I can get is more than twice that

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

As for your MBP not booting into 64 bit, here's a link to a bit of freeware that you can use to see if your laptop can actually run in 64 bit. It also allows you to easily choose which mode you want to boot in.
    Thanks for the link, but it looks like I have a MacBook Pro that is technically able to run a 64-bit kernel, this is not currently enabled by Apple.

Jono did you check your MBP for compatibility?.
    I also got the driver working properly last night so everything is working as it should but 32bit only
    I've got to agree with the others, the 3800 is a serious printer and I'm very happy with the output, I just love the prints I'm getting with Hahnemuhle rags and baryta. Ilford GFS for general day to day stuff is also excellent.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    Thanks for the link, but it looks like I have a MacBook Pro that is technically able to run a 64-bit kernel, this is not currently enabled by Apple.

Jono did you check your MBP for compatibility?.
    I also got the driver working properly last night so everything is working as it should but 32bit only
    I've got to agree with the others, the 3800 is a serious printer and I'm very happy with the output, I just love the prints I'm getting with Hahnemuhle rags and baryta. Ilford GFS for general day to day stuff is also excellent.
    Well, it's a 17" unibody MBP, so it certainly ought to run a 64 bit kernel!
    I'm still dithering whether to use Lightroom or not . . . . I thought it would be simpler, but it's looking less so at the moment. As for SL, I think I'll do it when I need it rather than straight away!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    Well, well, I never thought I'd see the day when Jono would drop Aperture.

Well Eoin. I had a few hours this evening, so I settled down to do some galleries of photographs from Crete in Lightroom. I wanted to select on combinations of keywords within particular folders - i.e. pictures with more than a certain rating and with a complete set of keywords. . . it would seem I couldn't do that. never daunted I found a way around it by typing them in manually, but compared to the Aperture keyword select function, what a palaver.

Then I thought I'd do some printing comparisons between lightroom and aperture (I dropped the Epson 4000 and it's working again). Not wanting to be biased I showed the prints to my wife . . .. .

So, you haven't seen the day when Jono would drop Aperture

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

....So, you haven't seen the day when Jono would drop Aperture
    I though you were loosing your marbles there for a moment, glad to see your Wife gave her considered advice , and more importantly you took it,.