Site Sponsors

Thread: What glossy paper do you recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What glossy paper do you recommend?

I have, until today, printed with only Matte Black, because it was so costly to swap out the matte and photo black cartridges. My new printer, Epson 9900, allows for an automatic change without the need for the costly swap. So, I am considering what GLOSSY or LUSTER surface paper to use with Photo Black inks. Would you please let me know what brand and surface you are using and what experience led you to chose it?

I tend to print my images dark, so the ability to reproduce strong black is a primary consideration for me. I have included an image that is representative of most of the work that I do.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: What glossy paper do you recommend?

Hi Jerry:

My favorite glossy paper is Harman Gloss FB Al -- the regular one, not the warm white.

My favorite luster paper is still Epson's PPP Luster -- not because I am so in love with the particular surface texture, but the simple fact it holds ink really, really well.

With a good profile, both generate really deep blacks with long range of shadow grays
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1 on the Harman Glossy. Took me some time to warm up to it and use it to its fullest, but once mastered............great stuff

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

I do too find HFbAl amazing. It made my old 7600 look much better (color only) I just bought a 7880. I'm using Harman profiles and Epson ABW for a b&w exhibit. This paper has a built-in sharpen filter. I just printed today some ocean rocks that are so sharp they look engraved. Truly amazing paper and now the price is right. I used Epson P Luster for its sharpness but this paper make it look soft. Just bought a roll of Ilford Gold Silk but I haven't tried yet.
    Eduardo

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    +1 on the Harman Glossy. Took me some time to warm up to it and use it to its fullest, but once mastered............great stuff

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Woody:
    I just bought a 7880 and after not many tests 3 days ago I started printing some images for an exhibit of mine due in 13 days. I just noticed you said "but once mastered". Can you briefly provide a few tips on how to conduct this paper to its best performance?
    TIA
    Eduardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks guys. This is very helpful information. Actual user experience coupled with discussion of whose profiles are being used is pretty elusive information to obtain. Your experiences are very valuable to me, because I know that the responders' work here is of the highest caliber.

Jerry

ddk

My favorite Luster is the Ilford Gallery Gold, it has the best color/tonal gradation that I've seen in Luster papers. For Glossy I use Epson's own, great contrast and detail. I chose these papers after lots of experimentation, my images are based on very subtle tones and I need them reproduced full range and very accurately.

Epson 3800 & 7880, I make my own profiles but I found downloaded from manufacturer sites excellent for both these papers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jerry, I'm going to move this thread to the printing section just so it might attract some additional users that print but don't read the MF section...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Harman FB AL as well. Definitely my favourite glossy paper.
    Mark Tomlinson www.marktomlinson.org.uk/photography
    Sony A900; Nex 7; Fuji X-100; Ricoh GRD II
    Blogs at: alt-digital.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine just bought an Epson 7900. We've both been to Harman UK website and couldn't find the profile for this paper. There are only those for the matt kind. Anybody has an idea or knows why? I know from this forum that some people are using exactly this printer-paper combo. He's on Mac. Please help
    TIa
    Eduardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Ilford Gold Fibre Silk (who came up with that name?) is excellent and I think it's less expensive than the Harman FB AL (also a very nice paper). I think the surface of the Ilford paper is a little smoother. As I recall, the Luminous-Landscape review gave a nod to the Ilford Gold Silk paper in their review "Battle of the Barytas". I used Museo Silver Rag for awhile also.....but keep coming back to Ilford.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrtoml View Post
    I use the Harman FB AL as well. Definitely my favourite glossy paper.
    Since the purchase of my 3800 for the purpose making glossies I too like this paper the best. Prior to that on my 4800 and 9600's I would use GBC gloss laminate on Enhanced Matt paper. In a lot of ways I like the look of this combination over the Harman except that the Harman does have an advantage of finer detail but the gloss is better (to look at) with the laminate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use the Ilford Gold Fibre Silk as well. I still use the Harman FB AL but the Ilford is a little less costly and quailty seems to be equal. Both are excellent with B&W and both are 310gr I think..Both come in rolls.
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another vote for Ilford Gold Fibre Silk. I also tried the Harman and liked it about equally well but the Ilford is noticeably cheaper.

Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

Not anymore. I just bought (B&H) one of each and they were about the same.
    Eduardo

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    Another vote for Ilford Gold Fibre Silk. I also tried the Harman and liked it about equally well but the Ilford is noticeably cheaper.

Lisa

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post
    Not anymore. I just bought (B&H) one of each and they were about the same.
    Eduardo
    Did Harman drop their price or did Ilford raise theirs?
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like

Pasted right from Adorama email
    The Ilford is 40ft long and the Harman 50ft.
    HRGFB2450R Harman Glossy Finish Fiber Base AI Profe 1 $119.00 $119.00
    ILGGFS2440R Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk, Fine Art 1 $93.91 $93.91

Harman drop it.
    Still looking for an ICC profile for HFbAl for Mac and 7900

Eduardo

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to inform that I got the profile missing courtesy of Chris Mcdonald ([email protected])
    My friend will be testing it soon.
    Thanks
    Eduardo

Post Thanks / Like

If your friend can afford a 7900 maybe he/she should invest in a profiling solution. I got the Spyder3print recently and I don't know how I managed without one before - it's not that expensive compared with all the paper I used to waste.

Cheers.
    Mark Tomlinson www.marktomlinson.org.uk/photography
    Sony A900; Nex 7; Fuji X-100; Ricoh GRD II
    Blogs at: alt-digital.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    I use the Ilford Gold Fibre Silk as well. I still use the Harman FB AL but the Ilford is a little less costly and quailty seems to be equal. Both are excellent with B&W and both are 310gr I think..Both come in rolls.
    I use both the Harman and the Ilford Gold Fibre Silk. My take is that the Ilford is not a glossy paper at all and thus fits some images better than the Harman and sometimes vice versa.

If you are printing high contrast images and want to maintain that contrast in the print you are best with the Harman. I you have muted colors and relatively low contrast the Ilford may be a better choice. Both papers by the way are available in 44" rolls so can be used economically on my 7800.

I don't think Harman provides a profile for the larger printers (heaven knows why not). They do provide one for the 3800 so that is good. I made my own profile for the 7800 and it is very very similar to the 3800 with the Harman supplied profile. So it is neat that I can proof at smaller sizes on the 3800 before committing to a large print on the 7800. At today's cost for both paper and ink that is significant.

Just some of my thoughts on the matter

Woody