The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson 3800 or 3880?

Robert Campbell

Hi,

Can I pick your brains please?

I've been thinking that it's about time I had a decent printer, and the Epson 3800 seemed a good choice.

Now that the 3880 is available, should I go for it or for a 3800 at a discount? Are the improved specs enough to go for the newer model?

Thoughts?

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Robert,

New review at Lu-La.

I have the 3800 am moving to a 4880 but see little to make the change to the 3880...a little larger color gamut and supposedly the dithering is improved if you are really looking closely.

Otherwise the 3800 is a great printer once you learn how to handle papers that are large or thick. Mine has not had a clog in the two years I have had it.

Bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
FWIW, my .02 on the x880 -- and this is no going to be a popular comment, but:

While the x880 has a bit larger gamut than the x800, the inks tend to show a bit more bronzing in indirect light -- so I call it a draw. IMO if one already owns an x800 I think there is little to be gained from moving to the x880 unless there is another reason like larger format or roll handling. IMO the x900 is a clear step up from the x800/x880 having larger gamut and low bronzing, so IMO probably the generation worth waiting for/moving to.

My .02 only,

Robert Campbell

Thanks for the comments.

So, go for a [cheaper] 3800?

I understood from somewhere that it would be impossible to make a 3900 -- I didn't understand quite why not, but there.

T

tetsrfun

I understood from somewhere that it would be impossible to make a 3900
Allegedly the head technology used in X900 series can't be scaled to fit a 3XXX size printer. I had 2+ years of trouble free performance from my 3800 before replacing it with the $899 4880. For "soft" reasons, ie new head and probably some other incremental improvements, I'd spend the few hundred $$ more for the 3880.

Steve