The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Printer Suggestions

Gary P

I'm on the hunt for a very good quality printer that can produce prints larger than 8 by 10 and has great B/W qualities. Any suggestions? Will to spend $500 to $1000.

Thanks for your insight.

Gary P

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I haven't shopped for a printer in a couple of years (since I bought my Epson 3800) so I don't know current prices. I can highly recommend the 3800. My own opinion, formed by my own experience and listening to several professionals with access to the top 3 makers (Canon, HP, Epson) is that Epson makes the best printers and provides the best service.

Good luck with your search!
Tim

tom in mpls

I have the Epson R2400 which is great for color and B&W. The newer R2880 should be even better. BTW, I have had the Epson for several years after going through one printer after another. I love it. And I have never encountered a major clogged nozzle even when it has not been used for weeks. Occasional head cleaning routine needed.

bensonga

Like Tom, I have an Epson 2400 (and a 2200). I've recommended the 2880 to several friends...and they are very happy with the printer. I do alot of B&W printing with my 2400 (using the Epson ABW settings). In the price range you mentioned, for a printer that will easily do 13x19 inch prints, it's hard to beat the Epson 2880. If you want to spend a little more and have the capability to do 17 inch wide prints, consider the 3880....that's probably going to be my next printer.

Gary

Gary P

Thank you gentlemen. I will definitely look into Epson based on your experience, perhaps the 3880!

Gary

O

Oxide Blu

On Epson's website, click on the link for rebates. They seem to always have a rebate going for the 3000 and 4000 series of printers but the rebate offer doesn't show on the product description webpages. But they require you to purchase from an "authorized" retailer to quality for the rebate. (Don't even get me going on that subject!) Nonetheless, it is often still less expensive to buy from an authorized retailer if there is a rebate.

Diane B

I'll second/third/whatever the Epson 3800 (or the 3880 though it may be above your budget unless you find a rebate/good price). If you can find the 3800 at a great price, I don't think you would go wrong. The monos from it are just wonderful.

I've tried to get good monos for years without going the route of special inksets, etc.--(though I did use a RIP)--from the 1280 through the 2200 and now with the 3800 (which I've had since the month it came out. I don't print daily or even weekly, but in bunches more sporadically. I can say I have never ever had a clog to this point), just am very happy with my prints.

Diane