Site Sponsors

Thread: HP8750 and Dark Prints

canon5dshooter

HP8750 and Dark Prints

I hope someone can help. I have a macbook pro running 10.6. I have calibrated the monitor with a gamma setting of 2.2 and a luminance level of 120 (recommended by Apple and others). When I open a file in CS3 everything looks grand but when I print it the print is WAY darker than it should be. I have Photoshop configured to manage the colors. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong? I have had this issue with two Mac machines running both 10.5 and 10.6.

canon5dshooter

Re: HP8750 and Dark Prints

I may have figured it out. I didn't have the HP Printer profile selected in the "printer profile" dialog in Photoshop. :-(

canon5dshooter

Well now that I am choosing the correct profile my prints are no longer saturated in ink. They do look rather dull though. The highlights don't pop and the dark tones look very flat. Should I be converting to a specific profile before I print and what other settings should I consider?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't use a HP but for for my Canon ipf6100 you need to have photoshop manage color not the printer. Choose "no color correction" in the printer driver.
    Go to Luminous Landscape and buy the tutorial "From Camera to Print" tutorial download it covers every printer setup.
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by canon5dshooter View Post
    Well now that I am choosing the correct profile my prints are no longer saturated in ink. They do look rather dull though. The highlights don't pop and the dark tones look very flat. Should I be converting to a specific profile before I print and what other settings should I consider?

Thanks
    You don't need to convert the image to a profile, the printer driver handles that.

What paper are you printing on? I've never used a dye printer but I believe the paper choice there is important and many papers designed for pigment printers don't work very well for dye based inksets.