Site Sponsors

Thread: The Printer/Photoshop/Snow Leopard Hell

Post Thanks / Like

The Printer/CS4/Snow Leopard Hell

If you run Snow Leopard 10.6.2, a high end Epson printer and CS4, there is an article describing an incompatibility between SL 10.6.2 and ICC version-4 profiles. The article is on "The Online Photographer" web site and written by Ctein. Look under the Problems and Workarounds section in paragraph three. Here is the link:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...log_index.html

This is an additional problem to that documented by Jack here at GetDpi and by Mark Dubovoy on the Luminous Landscape site with respect to printing out untagged test target files for generating ICC profiles.

I run 10.6.2, CS4 and just ordered an Epson 3880, so this kind of sucks.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul_Kerfoot; 5th March 2010 at 10:16.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Printer/Photoshop/Snow Leopard Hell

Apple has released Snow Leopard V10.6.3 build 10d567 to developers on March 5, 2010. The following link describes some of the changes:

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/main-pa...-build-10d567/

Rereading Ctein's article, I notice another potential gotcha in the form of the default profile assigned to your printer in Color Sync. It can cause problems if the profile is SRGB or nothing is assigned.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul_Kerfoot; 6th March 2010 at 09:52.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The Printer/CS4/Snow Leopard Hell

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Kerfoot View Post
    If you run Snow Leopard 10.6.2, a high end
    I run 10.6.2, CS4 and just ordered an Epson 3880, so this kind of sucks.
    Paul
    Ctein writes some great stuff, but this particular article probably should't have made it. Maybe a few months ago, but pretty much old news. Most every issue with Snow Leopard and Epson printers can be resolved pretty easily.

As far as the version 2/4 profile issue, you should be fine, as very few are making version 4 profiles - I just checked the 3880 EEF profile for the 3880 and it is a version 2 profile ... most likely all of them are. Software that can make version 4 profiles can most likely be set to make version 2 profiles instead(including ColorMunki which I've used to make profiles with 10.6.2 just fine - Ctein just needed to look at his colormunki preferences to see this).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wayne,

So I assume I am still all okay if I use my i1 spectro and the latest build of Color Match, and print my targets out of Snow Leopard via Fusion/Win XP/Q-Image?
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Wayne,

So I assume I am still all okay if I use my i1 spectro and the latest build of Color Match, and print my targets out of Snow Leopard via Fusion/Win XP/Q-Image?
    Targets should be fine printed this way. Eric Chan's work around printing from CS4/SL also works fine.

i1match 3.6.3 reportedly resolved issues with SL. I don't know if you have to set a preference before you build a profile to get a version 2 profile, or if defaults to version 2. I haven't used i1 match for a long time, (I use profilemaker 5) but it may use a different connotation for version 2 and version 4 ... version 4 may be denoted as a "large" profile.

Of course, 10.6.3 is due any day, and since the ver 2/4 issue only showed up with 10.6.2 hopefully it's fixed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Wayne. 3.6.3 doesn't ask you if you're creating a ver 2 or 4 profile. The one thing about iMatch 3.6.3 is it now offers to print the paper targets for you, and I am not sure if that's working around the SL tagging issue or not -- do you know?
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You Wayne

I feel so much better about this after hearing you are not especially upset. Ctein seemed more than a little annoyed probably because his bread and butter is printing.

I received the 3880 late Monday and am currently reading through all the documentation. I plan to fire it up this weekend. I am coming from a 2200 so the papers I have on hand are; Velvet Fine Art, Archival Matte/Enhanced Matte/Ultra Premium Presentation Matte (or whatever Epson is calling it this week) and Moab Entrada Natural. Will check the manufacturers profiles to make sure they are not V4.

Snow Leopard 10.6.3 is probably imminent but operating systems are horribly complex and nearly impossible to get totally bug free. Apple shouldn't release it until they are confident it works.

Many Thanks
    Paul
    Last edited by Paul_Kerfoot; 10th March 2010 at 15:09.