The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

leave on or off?????

S

Steve

Is it better to leave your printers on all the time or turn off after each use. Epson products 9800 is what I am talking about. My friend says turning it off and on all the time uses ink, but one time when I had mine serviced they asked me to check some codes that told them how much time it had been on. It affects whether they will ofter you a extended warranty beyound the normal period of purchasing the extended warranties. Thanks Steve

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I always leave mine on. The newest firmware for the 3800 has some energy efficiency/sleep upgrades, not sure about other x800 printers.

LJL

Is it better to leave your printers on all the time or turn off after each use. Epson products 9800 is what I am talking about. My friend says turning it off and on all the time uses ink, but one time when I had mine serviced they asked me to check some codes that told them how much time it had been on. It affects whether they will ofter you a extended warranty beyound the normal period of purchasing the extended warranties. Thanks Steve
Steve,
Like Jack, I leave mine on all the time. I have a 7800, and the power cycle does force nozzle checking, which does use ink. Also, leaving the power on allows the printer to cycle its vacuum if needed to keep ink pressure in the nozzles so they do not dry out and clog as much.

I run my printer several times a week, and sometimes several times a day, and have not had an Epson service call yet in the past 2.5 years of use, so I cannot comment on the hours checking for extended warranty. One thing I have done, however, is to actually get a UPS for the printer, not just a surge protector. We get a lot of serious t-storms down here in Texas, and power does go out on occasion. Even brief on-off-on causes the power cycle process to start. If you print a lot, you do NOT have to run the power cycle cleaning when it comes up. Just cancel it and use normally, otherwise you will use a lot of ink.

LJ

robsteve

Subscriber
Steve,
One thing I have done, however, is to actually get a UPS for the printer, not just a surge protector.

LJ
Sounds like a good idea :)

At the GetDPI workshop last week, I tripped on extension cord in the middle of a print job and the computer and printer shut down!

Robert

S

Steve

thanks guys, I leave mine on so I will pass it on to my friend.