The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ppi

S

Steve

I had heard somewhere that epson printers work better in certain numbers such as 180, 360 or something like that. Seems to me everything defaults to 300. Anyone confirm this for me, I can't remember exactly how it went? Also can you see a difference in say 300 to 360 or even higher. Thanks Steve

Lisa

I did some experimentation on this several years ago with an older Epson (probably a 1280), and found that it likes resolutions of 180, 240, or 360. Any of those come out very slightly better than my test photo's native resolution of about 215. The 360 & 240 were virtually indistinguishable to me, with 180 somewhat worse, and 215 slightly worse than that. I presume this is because the printer interpolates to some multiple related to those numbers, and its interpolation was worse than Photoshop's bicubic (which is what I used to get to 180, 240, 360, etc.).

The differences are extremely small, however. A casual viewer wouldn't have noticed. I had to get my nose right up to the prints and look very carefully to see any difference.

I've recently seen some people whose opinions I respect on another forum claim that the 180/240/360 advantage isn't true, and recommend letting the printer do all interpolation. I don't know whether they were only looking for larger differences than me, or if Epson's internal interpolation routines have improved in more recent printers. If the latter, then it's possible that my data are obsolete and someone should test this with a newer model printer. It's easy to test yourself - just take a small crop out of a photo with a lot of detail, use PS to upres or downres to various resolutions, print those and the original to the same size, and compare.

Lisa

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Pretty much what Lisa said. I have found in my tests on the 7800 and 3800, that prints look ever so slightly better at 360 than than at 300, but you can only see it comparing identical images under a loupe, and even then it is only a slight advantage to 360. Unaided eyes, even 240 is tough to tell from 360, but you can see it under a loupe. 180 starts to get visibly worse. Canon and HP have different native resolutions so may prefer 300 over 360 or 240.

S

Steve

thanks Jack and Lisa, Thats what I thought I remembered, but I'm getting old and forgetful. Thanks