The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"They're Selling Us Crap Paper"

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
"I've just finished printing up a bunch of "art quality" 11 x 14 prints for my Contributors, and I'm so frustrated I feel like tearing my hair out. (Yes, I have plenty to spare. What's your point?) The amount of time and money I waste because of shoddy inkjet paper manufacturing practices is appalling..."

Details by Ctein

I read the article & was surprised by the number of voices chiming in agreement. My own opinion is that inkjet papers are ever so much better in QC than they were just 3-5 years ago.

If I dissent from the complaints in the Ctein article & comments, then perhaps I brand myself as a philistine who grinds out defective prints; but I can't imagine coming up with what he says is his rejection rate. He singles out Harman for special criticism, & I've found only a few defective sheets in 17x25 boxes (though I gave up using their rolls, because its thickness plus strong curl made it vulnerable to print-head contact).

When making large prints I usually make smaller work prints of parts of the image, so I have a ready use for the few sheets with surface imperfections that I encounter. So from my standpoint Ctein has had a statistically rare run of bad luck, or has blown up the problem larger than it looms in my experience.

Kirk

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have to agree that the fiber based photo papers are bad. I print on Harman too, and usually find at east 20% of the sheets in any pack with flaws. Even find them on rolls, but they seem better than the sheets for whatever reason.