The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Printing on 17X25 Harman with Epson 3880 - Help!

jonoslack

Hi There
I just received my 3880 yesterday (the 4000 has finally gone into retirement).
I've been experimenting with Harman gloss paper (love it). However, I seem to be incapable of printing to 17"x25"
It doesn't exist in the default paper sizes - I've managed to make a custom size up, which I can easily pick in Photoshop, or in Aperture 3 - however, when you get to the last stage (with the epson driver showing up) It looks like it's going to do the right thing, but if you look under paper handling (in summary) it says:

Destination paper size: Document Paper A4
and if you make the mistake of pressing the print button . . . . it prints an A4 sized image in the bottom right of the sheet!

I'm sure I'm missing something here . . . can anyone help please?

all the best

Terry

IRRC - we had this same thing come up when we were in Carmel. I know Jack has the answer (which if my pea brain can remember had to do with reversing the measurements).

edit - or Bob :D

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jono,
Did you create/select the custom paper size in the epson driver as well?
Is this on a mac?
thanks
-bob

Diane B

Assuming the 3880 is basically same (driver wise) to 3800, I do print to 17 x 25 often and think Bob has the answer. I use Lightroom, make a custom size there but have to also create it in the Epson driver as well. I'm on a PC though.

jonoslack

Hi There
Bob - Diane thanks for the input.
Yes - I've made the custom size in the driver (I did it in pages) (I couldn't do it from aperture as there is no 'page setup' option) - I did it in another application, and it does show up as a size within Aperture - it's the printing bit that buggers it up.

Of course, I'm using Snow Leopard, so I guess things will be different. :deadhorse:

Aaaaahhhhhh! Got it (thank you Terry for your hint).

When making the custom setup you must treat it as portrait, which means that you set it up as width: 17 Height: 25. I can't try it right now as the printer isn't here - but it's now showing correctly in the summary.
:thumbup::thumbs::salute::toocool:

Hooray (as long as it works!)

Diane B

I think I had to do the same in my driver AIR and I think I just found it more or less by fiddling with it. Strange, no???? LOL

jonoslack

I think I had to do the same in my driver AIR and I think I just found it more or less by fiddling with it. Strange, no???? LOL
It's a bit odd . . . and rather costly experimenting with 17x25 sheets of Harman!
Let's hope it actually does work when I get home :rolleyes:

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I was informed yesterday that Harman has discontinued 17 x 25 FB gloss. It has been my favorite. Anyone know of other good 17x25 gloss papers? I really don't want to buy a roll and cut (Epson 38xx series has no roll feed).

Thanks

D

Diamond Star Halo

Thanks everyone for this post of 2 years ago because it helped me out tremendously now. I had the exact same issue as Jonoslack.

Perhaps you can help me with a related issue – I’m unable to print using the Epson 3880’s Rear Feed Slot.

I originally printed through the 3880's Auto Feed Slot and it came out fine except there were some faint roller marks on the print.

So I'm trying the Rear Feed Slot to avoid the roller marks. But I keep getting "Incorrect Paper Source Setting - make sure the loaded paper and the printer driver settings match."

I didn't change any of the settings, which worked fine when I fed the print through the Auto Feed Slot. And I followed the manual's steps for inserting the paper into the Rear Feed Slot.

Any suggestions?

Perhaps I have to adjust the platen gap (Manual at page 40)? I’m using the same 17” x 25” Harmon Gloss paper that Jonoslack used.

Greg Lockrey

Thanks everyone for this post of 2 years ago because it helped me out tremendously now. I had the exact same issue as Jonoslack.

Perhaps you can help me with a related issue – I’m unable to print using the Epson 3880’s Rear Feed Slot.

I originally printed through the 3880's Auto Feed Slot and it came out fine except there were some faint roller marks on the print.

So I'm trying the Rear Feed Slot to avoid the roller marks. But I keep getting "Incorrect Paper Source Setting - make sure the loaded paper and the printer driver settings match."

I didn't change any of the settings, which worked fine when I fed the print through the Auto Feed Slot. And I followed the manual's steps for inserting the paper into the Rear Feed Slot.

Any suggestions?

Perhaps I have to adjust the platen gap (Manual at page 40)? I’m using the same 17” x 25” Harmon Gloss paper that Jonoslack used.
The rear slot is for "heavy" paper.... at least it's that way on my 3800.

D

Diamond Star Halo

Thanks for the quick reply Greg. You're right that the rear slot is for heavy paper. I failed to select "Manual - Rear" in the "Source" setting. Since I was feeding a sheet, I erroneously had it set to "Sheet."

In any event, I am still getting those roller marks on my 17 x 25 Harman Gloss paper --the marks are horizontal lines down the center of the image. When I tested with 11 x 14 Epson Glossy Premium, there were no marks at all.

None of the following worked. I tried them all and I still keep getting those marks:

1) I unchecked "High Speed" in the "Quality Options" menu thinking that the marks may not appear if the ink has a little more time to dry.

2) I changed the platen size from "Standard" to "Wide" thinking the Harman paper is thicker than the Epson paper and, therefore, pressing against the rollers.

3) I created a Custom Paper Configuration (Manual at page 41) with these settings:

• Platen: “Standard” as Epson suggests
• Thickness Pattern: 3 – but it was hard to know what to select. The lines that are printed are faint and small. So it is very difficult to see the gap between the lines to determine which setting number to select.
• Paper Feed Adjust A and B: I made no settings because I'm not getting any banding.
• Drying Time: I picked 10 seconds (so that there is plenty of time for the ink to dry).

Again, none of these options worked. I could keep changing the variables in the hope of hitting the right combination. But each attempt wastes paper, ink and time.

If anyone has successfully printed 17 x 25 Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta paper on an Epson 3880, I would appreciate knowing the settings. Thanks everyone.

raywest

I would suggest you go to the Harman web site and send them an email (or phone them). I would expect them to supply you with the correct settings, since I would hope they tested their products on various printers, and your printer is not exactly unusual. If you still get the marks, then you need to decide if the problem is with the printer, or that Harman did not conduct proper trials.

D

Diamond Star Halo

Thanks for your suggestion Ray -- I sent them a detailed email. I was leaving them as a last resort after pretty much exhausting the possibilities with the printer.