The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson 3800 vs. 3880

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Has anyone made a comparfison? I have a 3800 but the price of the 3880 has gotten so low with rebate that you can get one for between $8-900 net -- but that comes with a full set of ink, worth about $500, so the actual cost of the printer is $300-400. I'd keep the 3800 and use it instead of a getting-old Sp2400 thst is in another location. Am I being crazy? TIA

Eoin

I'm guessing here, but if you're like me, you'll have a complete set of spare ink for the 3800 anyway. So relegating a perfectly functioning 3800 to back up status and replace it with an almost identical 3880 seems a bit pointless unless you absolutely need some printer redundancy.

If I were to change my 3800 (which I must say has been flawless) it would be for a larger format with roll capability. I've started to do some self adhesive printable vinyl stuff lately and I'm a bit constrained by the sheet only feed of the 3800 and the maximum print length (no rip) Epson imposes.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Thanks, It isnt back up status as such. I have printers in two houses. Currently it is the 3800 as my main printer in the house with my primary setup. The secondary is currently the 2400. So the 3880 would replace the 3800 which would replace the 2400. My bigger problem may be physical space as the 3800 needs a lot more space front and aft and above than does the 2400 even though the boxes themselves are not dramatically different.