The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Harman vs........

K

Kirk Gittings

Hi to all I am new here. It looks like a good forum. Hello to Jack F. and Jim Collum. I hope you all are doing well.

The Harman thread raised my hackles a bit with the OBAs. I printed on it some last year for a museum show and liked it, but I can't in good conscience sell prints that will yellow in a couple of years.

I print in spurts, like intensely once or twice a year and have a couple of shows coming up. So what are the low or no OBA papers that people here like?

L

lozoyad

I doubt that you will see any visual degradation of the printed image on the Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta (using pigments) in a few years...perhaps in 30-40 yrs? There is little conclusive evidence against OBAs...most of it is conjecture...although it makes sense that OBAs will cause issues down the road.

Frankly I just like the look of certain white papers (I don't like warm papers) and I try to ensure that the OBA usage is kept to a minimum.

L

lozoyad

Kirk,

I should have added some links to OBA discussions:

Pro
http://pictureitoncanvas.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=obas
Con (somewhat, but see what the say about Hahnemuhle Photo Rag!)
http://www.wmich.edu/pci/faculty/Publication/fleming/NIP-22.pdf
Con
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/news.18.html

Some will argue that OBAs are just not part of their printing process...and if you regulary print for museums then you might go the non-OBA way...but do check out Hahnemuhle Photo Rag it does have OBAs but it is a worthy alternative.

For me...photography is serious hobby...I will not be printing for museums...but do want long lasting prints. Good luck !

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Kirk,

Good to hear from you and welcome to GetDPI!

FWIW, I have been printing on Harman for over a year, and to date none of my original prints have visibly yellowed. I realize a year is not overly significant, but at least it's something, and it leaves me hope that it won't yellow in just a few years...

JimCollum

I do have some large samples of Epson Premium Luster that has yellowed significantly from 2002. Ink is fine.. but the borders around the pic is garbage.. and these have been inside, framed in glass, and stored (not in direct sunlight).. a bit tragic (24x30" images)

fotografz

I do have some large samples of Epson Premium Luster that has yellowed significantly from 2002. Ink is fine.. but the borders around the pic is garbage.. and these have been inside, framed in glass, and stored (not in direct sunlight).. a bit tragic (24x30" images)
Jim, were these prints matted? The "borders" comment induced the question about matting. It sounds like leached contamination somehow.

-Marc

JimCollum

Jim, were these prints matted? The "borders" comment induced the question about matting. It sounds like leached contamination somehow.

-Marc
yea. i had 4 prints, all matted at the same time, all stored about the same way. 2 yellowed, 2 didn't. framed the same as well. I couldn't figure out what was different between the 2 sets of images. This is the only time though, that i've had prints yellow.