The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Processing for LCD Photo frames

MrSlezak

I did a quick scan but didn’t see anything posted so, if I missed something let me know… Myto give the family LCD photo frames and give them out as gifts – does anyone have any suggestions for processing to fit the frames? I don’t know much about these things and I’m teeming with questions like:

-- Resizing
I’m thinking this is best if done in Photoshop rather than letting the frames do the work

-- Sharpening
I don’t know which one we’ll end up buying but I am thinking these should be treated like a .28 dot pitch LCD

-- Color correction
Do these even have monitor/color profiles?

-- “Could processing”
If we choose one that will pull down images (something like CEIVA’s do,) then does anyone know if they pass the images as sent, or do they reprocess the images to save storage on their end?

Thanks!

LJL

An interesting question..... My gut is telling me that one should prep the images for best digital output, meaning size them to what ever size best fits the frame, have them as JPEGs in sRGB color space, set the pixel size to 100 (though 72 is sort of the defacto standard for most Web type of display), and do a sharpening on them that is suitable for display viewing. That usually involves just some good, clean edge sharpening, and maybe a high pass filter, or a rather gentle USM treatment. You do not want to overcook the sharpening to generate artifacts. I have been using Nik Software's Sharpener Pro plug-in for PS, as it does a special sharpening layer for electronic display that takes into account size. An being a layer, you can turn it off and then apply some other sharpening for printing, for example.

I would think that the Web posting action that Jack has would be excellent. There really is no need for high resolution (300 ppi for example), as that only means a bigger file that will load more slowly and not show any difference onscreen.

Do not know if any of these digital frames have any ability to color calibrate. I kind of think most do not, but worth checking. It seems like that would be really hard to do with them, without having some sort of input and profile control. They look to be simple storage devices with a primitive processing need and a graphics card. That is why I would think good quality (level 10 or so) JPEGs in sRGB would be fine.

Most probably will have some sort of conversion algorithm for size and display, but if the files coming in are about where they need to be, there should be little change, if any. Not sure how stuff pulled down from someplace else may work, as that seems like it might need some on-the-fly processing, unless the files are Web files already.

Just my thoughts. Would love to know more from anybody that uses them and what they have found.

LJ

MrSlezak

Thanks for the feedback and in re-reading my post I'm shocked and the crap typing I had in there. Glad you could make sense of my words...

usathyan

-- Color correction
Do these even have monitor/color profiles?

-- “Could processing”
If we choose one that will pull down images (something like CEIVA’s do,) then does anyone know if they pass the images as sent, or do they reprocess the images to save storage on their end?

Thanks!
OK, this is really just my first post here. Anyways, assuming you know how and whats of Color corrections/management stuff - You can technically create a workable solution.

The LCD display frames are usually self contained systems (possibly with Linux or some derivative). These devices are not color managed or offer you any hooks to the operating system to enable use of such things.

However, here is what you can do:
1. Assuming you a spectrophotometer (Eye one Photo or similar) You can upload a color chart into this device and calibrate the LCD panel as if it were a paper to be used to feed into your printer.

2. Now the output of this process should give you a Color profile, that you can use - to convert the images you intend to show on this device, and convert it or soft proof it to this output profile you created.

Hope that makes sense. Below is the link to someone who has used this process to create a profile for iPhone. I have been using his profile to use my iPod Touch as a new medium to showcase my images and i must admit, it has been very welcome by the people who are seeing it. Much easier to carry than paper prints and great quality!

http://www.hugorodriguez.com/index_calibrando_iphone.php