The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What printers for large prints....

I just bought the IPF 8300. The net cost of the printer (after Canon's rebate) was around $2,400.00! That is less than the cost of a set of inks. And ... the vendor even threw in a free iPad.
That is an incredible deal. Care to say which vendor? I don't think I have space for an 8300 (as much as I would like to print that big), so I may do an 6300.

kdphotography

I love my 7900. It gets a clogged channel if I let it sit more than three or four days without use. So I have to do a simple 2-channel nozzle clean to clear it -- takes maybe 3 minutes and burns a few ml of ink. If I let it sit a few weeks, then I get usually two clogged channels and have to do an all-channel clean. This takes 5 or 6 minutes and burns a bigger few ml of ink. If I've let it sit a month, I may need to repeat the full clean a second time to get everything flowing. Yes, that's a PITA but...

I *LOVE* the print quality. Great sharpness, color, saturation, linearity and repeatability across a variety of stocks. I love the output so much that I'll gladly put up with having to clean before each major print job. I get the best WYG after my WYSI that I've ever gotten. I love it so much I have not even considered other options. In fact, I am so pleased overall that if my 7900 were stolen tomorrow, I would have another on order inside an hour. But maybe the 9900 instead :D

Now re the 4900. The only potential negative issue I have, is the pizza wheel thing -- if that is a reality on the 4900 then it's a shame. And more shame on Epson for not addressing it...
Jack,

Just out of curiousity----Have you measured the relative humidity in your printer room? I have a couple extra humidifiers, new, never used, in the box (don't ask) if you want one to try and see if it makes a difference. Hygrometers are inexpensive as well....

ken

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack,

Just out of curiousity----Have you measured the relative humidity in your printer room?
No. My office is commercial and air-conditioned, and I do not live particularly close to the coast, so I suspect I'm about as dry as Guy's Arizona environment. I am sure I would rather do the occasional print-head cleaning than having a humidifier running in the background 24-7 :)

ftbt

That is an incredible deal. Care to say which vendor?
LexJet in Florida. Send me a PM and I will give you the name of the person who I dealt with. However, I believe their iPad promotion is over ... and Canon's special pricing is also about over as well. FWIW, they are out of 8300's and are awaiting shipments from Japan and Europe to fill the back orders. If you are serious, I would give them a call ASAP.

dseelig

Well I have an hp z3100 and I love it. Much cheaper to run then an epson the epson's drain ink like a vampire wants blood. I do have a epson 3880 for a back up and desktop printer. and had an epson 7600. I would look at an hp z 3200 if I were looking at something new.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Re: New Purpose & help with MFD gear.

Terry,

My assumption is that the head is using the exact tech in the 79/9900....all sorts of threads where many individuals are having problems with clogs in those machines.
Bob
Certainly a logical assumption. However, the jury is still out on the 4900 for a couple of reasons.

While one might assume the 4900 uses the exact same head, it very well could be even current 79/9900's not longer use the exact same head ... ie the head design could be evolving and improving. Even if that isn't the case, Epson may very well have needed to redesign a smaller head for the 4900 chassis.

However, the real reason the jury is still out on the 4900 is the fact that most Epson 790/9900 "clogs" really aren't clogs. This is especially true where you see most or entire channels just disappearing. I have a couple of theories, and Epson certainly would never admit to anything (like most big companies), but personally I believe the underlying problem in the 79/9900's is a pressure problem. I think part of it is related to the new cartridge design, and other is the ink pressure system itself. I've seen a lot of anecdotal evidence of this, including epson having to replace the pump/pressure assembly on my printer because it kept losing the entire green channel ... every single nozzle.

I also wonder if the printer sits running for a while if it is allowing slight amounts of air to pull back into the nozzles. You can't tell the difference between a "clog" and a nozzle that just doesn't have any ink to it.

So there is a distinct possibility the new 4900 required new engineering, and while certainly based on the 79/9900 it might involve some improvements.

Time will tell (and I'll add my .02 here that my 7900 works just fine, rarely clogs, and personally think it is has the highest quality output, especially from very high resolution files such as my p65+).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Wayne,

FWIW, I buy into the air leak-back being the issue. I am fine if I print every other day, never seem to loose a channel. But if it sits for say two weeks, I will print a nozzle check fine then loose say the Cyan channel in it's entirety and have to do a clean -- like an air bubble developed behind the head and some ink flowed back in around it.

It's a theory anyway :eek: