The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question regarding Canon IPF 6300/8300

GMB

I am considering purchasing one of them and went to a dealer to test them today. The dealer printed a few test prints that I brought and also walked me through the driver menu. He was printing from an older version of PS on Windows 7 PC. I was surprised that I could not see an option let PS manage colors and the option in the printer menu to turn off the color management (it only had options color and B&W).

The guy who did the demo was not a photographer and so he may have missed something. Any views from those who have one of the printers and use a Mac? Also, do you easily find profiles for these printers?

Note: I was also looking at the Epson 7900 and 9900 but as on infrequent user, the reports about clogging deterred me (and they are also at least 60% more expensive in Europe).

Thanks.

Georg

PS: Makes me cry to read U.S. prices (2,500$ net) and compare the prices in Belgium. Here, the price is Euro 3,900 (after a Euro 1,000 cash back) + 21% sales tax for the 8300 (the 6300 is Euro 2700 plus tax):

routlaw

I am considering purchasing one of them and went to a dealer to test them today. The dealer printed a few test prints that I brought and also walked me through the driver menu. He was printing from an older version of PS on Windows 7 PC. I was surprised that I could not see an option let PS manage colors and the option in the printer menu to turn off the color management (it only had options color and B&W).

The guy who did the demo was not a photographer and so he may have missed something. Any views from those who have one of the printers and use a Mac? Also, do you easily find profiles for these printers?

Thanks.

Georg:
Georg

I have owned the iPF 8300 for half a year now and for the most part have no regrets about purchasing it vs the Epsons which I have owned in the past (10000, 9600, 2200 and more). I do use Macs but build my own profiles. However Canon also supplies a ton (perhaps too many) profiles of their own papers which are NOT readily available on the open market.

Understood too that Canon has implemented some features with this new printer that are dramatically different than what you have been use to in the past, most notably the Print Plug-in Module whose features are really quite robust once you wrap your head around this new way of working. Its not perfect but on the whole I find it far superior to the old way of sending the file to the printer ala Epson style. So no, using this method you will not find exactly what you are looking for in the same way at least. But you can either embed a printer profile before exporting, or have the plug-in embed the profile and media type after exporting but before printing. Results are identical regardless of the method you choose.

Sans Print plug-in module, everything should be pretty much the same as what you have experienced in the past including allowing the printer to manage color, but honestly I do not use this method as I find the print plug-in module to be superior.

In the half year I have owned the printer only once have I experienced a head clog which was easily remedied and inks last forever compared to the Epsons. Only two weeks ago did I have to install one new cart. I am not a high volume printer but this thing has had lots of use and have been amazed at its miserly use of ink. Without a doubt all of the Epson carts would have been replaced in the same amount of time.

Canon documentation however is the worst, on an order of magnitude worse. If Epson were ranked 9 out of 10 for their documentation, at best I would give the Canon a 1-2 out of 10, although this is somewhat offset by the fact one has to really work hard and really screw up to get a bad print of these printers.

So in summary don't worry about letting the printer manage color, there is a better way to skin the cat. Prints be it b&w or color are the best I have seen from any printer bar none.

Hope this helps.

Rob

ftbt

Good to know. My 8300 arrives on Thursday. I intend build my own profiles for the Breathing Color Paper and Canvas I intend to use with Color Munki.

GMB

Rob--Many thanks. This helps indeed. Still considering whether I want that beast of a 8300 in my study--may be the 6300 is more reasonable, but then the idea of 44" prints is tempting!

Georg

routlaw

Rob--Many thanks. This helps indeed. Still considering whether I want that beast of a 8300 in my study--may be the 6300 is more reasonable, but then the idea of 44" prints is tempting!

Georg
If you have the space and budget for the larger printer this would be my recommendation. Understand this is a larger printer however, much larger than my old Epson 9600 which it replaced. And it is heavy. You will need 4 people to move it unless its on its roller stand and flat floor. It will take 4 people to get the 44" model on the stand.

Rob

GMB

I saw the beast--like a large piano. I would need to get it into an office in the first floor. Budget wise, the difference is not that big, as Canon has 1000 Euro cash back and as you get more ink with with the printer and furture ink purchases are cheaper. But it is VERY big.

There is a professional print shop not far from where I live who has Canons. If they have the 8300, I will most likely get the 6300 and, in case I need something bigger, print with them.

ftbt

I saw the beast--like a large piano ... it is VERY big.
My 8300 was delivered this afternoon. Yes. It is big, but I wouldn't say it is as big as a large piano ... more like a small piano! The boxes / shipping materials are quite big, though. It arrived in 2 boxes ... one on top of another on a wooden pallet. About the size of a Smart Car. I've hired 3 movers to come over tomorrow and take the printer out of the box and carry it into our studio. (I just hope that I can convince them to take the empty boxes!)

routlaw

Do you need the stand for the 6300/8300, or can it sit on a sufficiently large and robust table?
I think you would need the stand, if for no other reason than to access the shoots and roll paper loading. And moving this thing without it being on its roller stand would be a real pain.

Rob

ftbt

I agree. You need the stand for the reasons Rob mentioned ... and one person can actually roll (move) the printer fairly easily when it is on the stand ... even on a carpeted floor. I spent the better part of last weekend doing just that. You have paid for the stand, you might as well use it.

GMB

Eventually settled for the 6300, which was delivered last week and put to extensive user ovver the weekend. I am very happy indeed. Works like a charm and results are very good.