The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

B9180 had issues

etrigan63

My B9180 started have the "Service Stall" issues. Luckily, I purchased the HP CarePack (3 yr Next Day Exchange - $75) and after sorting out a paperwork snafu, HP sent me a replacement printer. I will give them this: they try hard. The CarePack site says that orders made after 2PM EDT will not be next day, but mine arrived today anyway.

The replacement unit had problems as well. There was a loose ribbon cable on the side of the printhead carriage that was making a gawd-awful racket when the printer was initializing. Tucking the ribbon cable back into it's slot cleared that up, however, the unit was unable to calibrate due to constant paper jams. Another call to my case manager (Michelle) and another printer will be here on Monday. Keep you appendages crossed.

EH21

My HP b9180 also had some issues, but actually all the printers I have owned have had issues of one kind or another. HP has been the only company to really stand up to them and help out. Also the prints I have gotten, particularly the B&W have been the best I have made so far. Good luck with yours.

etrigan63

Thanks EH, the new unit arrived today and I am currently setting it up. I noticed that the firmware was not the latest revision so I am going to upgrade that via my Windows XP VM. Fusion certainly is handy!

May I ask you what paper do you use on your B9180? I am looking for a nice 8x10 paper but HP doesn't make any for the pigment printers yet and I don't want to cut 8.5x11 sheets (more opportunities to mess up).

etrigan63

To anyone who is purchasing an HP Pro series printer: Get the CarePack!

The HP CarePack is totally worth every dollar! Mine was $75 for 3-yr. Next Business Day Replacement. I totally made that money back in shipping costs alone. Definite worth the price of admission.

P

Player

I didn't even know about the CarePack offer. Luckily, I haven't had any issues. Very pleased with the printer.

DaveB

I'm consistently impressed with the output from my HP9180. It has its foibles, but being able to produce art prints at home is really a luxury.

I see that I bought mine one year ago tomorrow. I bought the after market warranty as well. Only once have I had to call for service when a print head failed. It took a couple phone calls, had to jump through a few hoops, but HP fixed my printer.

HP Advanced glossy photo paper is my everyday paper. The Hahnemuhle smooth fine art paper is my all time favorite. B&W and color prints wonderfully on this classy matte stock.

etrigan63

I haven't tried Hahnemule paper yet, but Red River Arctic Polar Gloss is quite excellent. I also tried Ilford Smooth Pearl in 13x19. After the initial issue the printer has been amazing.

K

karrphoto

I wish I had known about it before my warranty expired. I found out about it after and my printer died with the service station error... well, I guess I got my lifetime out of it since I didn't pay for it anyway, I got it as part of a beta/delta test for HP. So, I have to say though, I will NOT miss the amount of money I spent on ink. If you REALLY print a lot with the 9180, do yourself a favor and upgrade. Get a Z3100, even the 24".. my ink consumption has gone down significantly and the cost difference is AMAZING. For the 9180 you are paying over $1/ml. For the Z3100 if you buy twin packs (200ml total) you pay about $.42/ml or less if you can find a special on them. Not to mention how much less ink the 3100 uses. Seems like I was replacing cartridges every day on the 9180. Took me months to run through the included 68ml carts on the 3100.