The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What Size Prints Do You Really Make?

jlm

Workshop Member
i have a sizing question:
I am shooting blad/CFV, square format, raw

i would like the final image size to be 15 x 15 (or 16-1/4 x 16-1/4...haven't decided)

the raw images are getting processed by Flexcolor right now, Phocus as soon as the PC version is out. When I select the 15 x 15 output in Flex though, it crops the image to get it, which I don't want. My workaround has been to re-size it when printing using the fit page tool in Imageprint. not particularly useful if you want an exact size. I can also re-size exactly in CS, but I am looking for the sizing to be done in the raw conversion

any hints?

thanks

fotografz

i have a sizing question:
I am shooting blad/CFV, square format, raw

i would like the final image size to be 15 x 15 (or 16-1/4 x 16-1/4...haven't decided)

the raw images are getting processed by Flexcolor right now, Phocus as soon as the PC version is out. When I select the 15 x 15 output in Flex though, it crops the image to get it, which I don't want. My workaround has been to re-size it when printing using the fit page tool in Imageprint. not particularly useful if you want an exact size. I can also re-size exactly in CS, but I am looking for the sizing to be done in the raw conversion

any hints?

thanks
Why at the conversion stage John?

Bumping up a 16 bit CFV native sized image to 15X15 or 16.25X16.25 is a no brainer for PS. Just write an action and resize all the shots at once from Bridge.

I also use Lightroom to do that task since you can select multiple formats and sizes there also.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I think John is saying the Flex raw converter is cropping? --- which is weird and not good...

Don Libby

The largest prints today were 30x60 canvases 2 of which were sold early this year. I print on an Epson 9800 as well as a 4000.

Always looking for something larger :)

don

jlm

Workshop Member
i figured it out. flex sets the image size based on the ppi; the only way you can change output size is by cropping.
what i am doing is processing to native size (300 dpi gives me about 14 x 14)
and not squeezing too hard on the histogram, just trying to get the best white balance.
then import the tiff to CS3 where it is easy to change image size, apply curves, etc.
i was getting spoiled by the ease of imageprint to auto-size to fit your page or what layout you want, however it is not so easy to print that way to an exact size. now i set exact size in CS3 and just use imageprint for centering on the page. on a 17 x 17 page, i get a nice 15 x 15 image with a consistent border. over that i set a matt with a 15-3/4 sq opening

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

What type of printer do you use John? Just a question, because the native dpi of the Epson's is 360 or 240, depending on your resolution setting. 300dpi is generally only for continuous tone printers like the Chromira, Lightjet and so on. I find that setting 240dpi for large prints looks better than setting 360 (or 300) and upsizing. Your mileage may vary of course. I generally use a 3800, but occasionally I will prep files for a 9800 (not mine, sadly).

jlm

Workshop Member
using CS3, i re-scale to 15x15, 240dpi (a bit trickier than that, but that is the outcome) for printing on epson 4880. my understanding is that at a native 720dpi for the epson, that gives a nice integer value of 3 dots per pixel

fotografz

using CS3, i re-scale to 15x15, 240dpi (a bit trickier than that, but that is the outcome) for printing on epson 4880. my understanding is that at a native 720dpi for the epson, that gives a nice integer value of 3 dots per pixel
John, maybe you've already done this, but here's some basic Flexcolor info if you haven't:

You can set-up any Tiff or Jpg output you want ... any ppi, and any % of enlargement.

If you haven't done this here's how to:

Open Flex. In the top menu go to >File, and in the drop down menu go to > Set Up.

Now click on the >General Tab.

Select which "Mode" to use (I always use 16 bit to maintain the highest color values even if I eventually save in 8 bit)

Type: single shot.

Resolution: 240ppi for larger prints (25" X25" or larger) ... or 360ppi for smaller ones. (for the CFV I use 360ppi)

Zoom: pick the % of enlargement you want either down from the native CFV size, or in your case up to make a 15" print.

Click on "New" at the bottom, name that "Set-Up" (like: CFV-360ppi@115%) ... then click on okay.

Now open an image in Flex. In the left side adjustment panel at the top is the window marked "Set-Up" .. select the new one you just created.

All images will transfer at that size and ppi. Note that you can make as many "Set-Ups" as you want.

I rarely use Flexcolor to crop ... for one basic reason ... there is no straightening tool to correct the horizon line. Flex/Phocus is a RAW file color engine IMO, and produces the best color of any RAW processor with Hasselbald files.

I also never use CS3 to make conformed sizes ... Lightroom is faster.

Hope this helps a bit.

jlm

Workshop Member
marc:

thanks for the tip. here is what i found.

i had been using 8 bit std RGB. 100% at 300dpi, so i made a new
setup at 240dpi, 16bit RGB. now when i open a 3fr image and compare the two set-ups, the 16 bit looks overexposed by a stop or two and the saturation and overall contrast are much lower???
i could probably correct for this, but the effect was surprising.

fotografz

marc:

thanks for the tip. here is what i found.

i had been using 8 bit std RGB. 100% at 300dpi, so i made a new
setup at 240dpi, 16bit RGB. now when i open a 3fr image and compare the two set-ups, the 16 bit looks overexposed by a stop or two and the saturation and overall contrast are much lower???
i could probably correct for this, but the effect was surprising.
A couple of possibilities:

Open up the "Set Up" dialog box again and see what the settings are for the other tabs for the set-up you created ... specifically "Contrast" and "Colorsync."

Also, with a new Set Up, Auto exposure corrections aren't automatic until you do one.

Also, with an image open, in the adjusment box labeled "Gradations" at the bottom is a menu selection titled "Film Response" ... if it says "Linear" it is set wrong. It should read "As Shot" and can be altered to show more or less contrast if desired if images are low or high contrast. The is also an "Old Standard" selection. Just click on each of these to see the effects they cause to the display image.

One way to double check this is to send an image to be saved as a DNG and open it in PSCS3 without any auto corrections in ACR.

jlm

Workshop Member
am checking:
using std RBG embed: contrast 0, brighness 0, midtone 1 shadow depth0 (could not find a colorsync setting)
using the 16 bit: contrast 1, brightness 0, midtone 1.488, shadow 0
film response was as shot for both.
switching from as shot to high contrast has a minor effect, but not nearly enough

i processed an image using both setups: 16 bit and the stdRGB and was able to tweak the 16bit image in CS3 to actually look a bit better than the stdRGB, though it took quite a bit of fiddling with curves and sat.

C

carbonmetrictree

I was going to purchase a Canon IPF6100 half a year ago, but decided to purchase the 5100 because of realistic printing needs. I tend to only print 11x14 for my portfolio and 8.5x11" for clients. Larger prints are used for gallery work, I've only had to print only a handful of images larger than 16x20. I love the IPF series of printers because they can handle 16bit images incredibly well!

Jeremy

Started printing a set of images today at a new size that I am really liking; 11"x15" palladium prints from the Pentax K20D. Large enough to frame up on the wall, but not too big to flip through in your lap.

Here's a cameraphone shot of one in the developer: