Site Sponsors

Thread: What Size Prints Do You Really Make?

Post Thanks / Like

What Size Prints Do You Really Make?

For my prior business experience , process optimization should always start with the end in mind. The optimum process for producing a wedding collection might therefore differ considerably from that of a fine art print. As my volumn of work continues to grow ..I need to focus on desired results. To start off I focus on three specific outputs (1) web presentation , (2) small collections ....prints on 8 1/2 x 11 matt ..typical print size is about 6.66 x10 as I try to maintain the 2:3 format and medium collections on A3 with 10x15 image size. I do like to crop a little if the image requires it ..so say 80-100% of the original. I am trying to print everything on epson enhanced matt but will upgrade that to better paper with the next generation of my digital darkroom. So what size prints do you really make ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: What Size Prints Do You Really Make?

I'm newer to printing my own or knowing how to prepare files for large prints. Also, I don't sell prints or have unlimited wall space. So, at my current stage of development I am putting together collections to put into books (blurb) for myself. When I fall in love with a shot, I print it large 17x25 paper. Then using that and working backwards I am not thinking about size until I see what I've got.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I make and sell a lot prints. I try to confine things to 5x7, 8x10, 11x14, and 16x20, but just this past week I delivered several 26x20 canvases that got framed, and also had one client want everything in 4x6 because that is what her photo albums were. I also have to deliver images in both low and high resolution for a client every week after the Sunday polo match, so that things can go into electronic newsletters (low res) or be shipped off for magazine prints (high res), including posters that are 40"x60" or so.

So, it is important to be somewhat flexible in what is delivered, but at the same time, not redoing things for various sizes. I sort of settled on an 8.5"x11" size image at 300ppi in my RAW conversion and process. This lets me take things down or up fairly easily without having to reprocess. (This is really important if there are a number of retouches made, and folks want multiple copies at different sizes. Everything coming off the printer must look the same, be it the 5x7 glossy or the 20x26 canvas. There will be some slight differences due to formatting, but the main subject has to look the same across all copies.)

The one thing that I have done is to discourage odd sizes, like 4x6. So, I price things accordingly to drive business toward the image sizes I prefer to print, like 8x10s or 16x20s.

I also print most of my stuff on an Epson 7800 using the Colorbyte ImagePrint RIP, and that has saved me more time and money and provided truly matched prints to deliver to folks every time, regardless of the media for the most part. I also do most of my printing on Epson Premium Luster (now called Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster) for sizes to 16x20. Bigger than than usually goes to canvas. I rarely print on matte finish, unless a client requests it. The gamut is lower, and it usually takes more ink to achieve the same look, and the blacks are never quite as deep, though some of the newer matte finish papers are getting there.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I proof on 13 x 19 then print per request
    Typical is 17 x 25 or larger. Larger goes out of house.
    Most are glossy on Harmon FB Al
    Matte is rare but usually on Hanemuhle Photo Rag
    -bob
    Last edited by Bob; 30th June 2008 at 15:08.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I normally do 8x10 & 13x19 for the stuff that I print.

Alot of other stuff goes out as a file and gets used from something like 3x5, 8 1/2 x 11, 17 x22, or 8 ft. banners.

The real problem is when you send a file out for one size and then it gets cropped and blown up poorly to a ludicrous size without your knowledge. Hopefully, MF will save me on that.

What I print is done on an Epson 3800.

Best,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

I can see that things can be somewhat variable with client work. But it seems that you picked a decent compromise position. Bob When you proof at 13x19 what size image are you printing . Are you essentially focused on very large prints? I ask because I expect that your images must be considerably different than what I shoot out on the street .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Most of the requests that I get for Landscapes are in the 30" wide or larger. Somehow, what I shoot seems to lend itself pretty well to large prints. That is pretty much why the M8 is a great travel camera. I can eke out prints that large (just barely) with the M8, but I am hoping that the P45+ will give me more margin for error. I think that it is just the kind of images I tend to shoot. Nobody has yet to ask for a print of my street shots larger than 5x7, and then usually in B&W. Meanwhile, I am working my way into some studio work. I have no idea where that might lead.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 8.5x11, 13x19
    all on an HP B9180
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

For my 4x5 landscape photography, 20x24 is my standard print size on Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl. For the less serious M8 street stuff, 11x17 printed on 13x19 Harmon Gloss FB Al (B&W) or HFAP (color). Once in a while I'll print a big canvas from my street work if I've captured the image with my Mamiya 7. I'm currently using an Epson 7800 and generate all my own profiles using an i1 Pro spectrophotometer. Will probably upgrade to the 7900 once a few reviews emerge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

20x24 is my largest standard size for the darkroom. I print good 35mm negs to that size, as well as medium and large format. In the digital darkroom I will go up to 17x22 with my 3800, and I have gone up to 30x30 for 6x6 scans. They look fantastic and I would love to get some more opportunities to use a wide format printer. I don't often print smaller than 11x14...it often seems like a waste of time for me. 11x14 is fine, but 8x10 or smaller isn't usually big enough for me. Unless it is a contact print .
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I tend to like larger size prints. The widest paper I can print on my printer is 17" and frequently push the printed image to about the full width and let the length take care of itself (if using roll paper). The only problem is that I don't have enough wall space to display to display everything I print. The extras end up in portfolio case which is kind of a waste, butt is still fun and educational to print the images.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the Epson 7800 and tend to print large. (22x30 or so), I may yet end up with the new 9880 with the extra cartridges and can go up to 44" wide. Now that I have a 39mpx back (Hassy H3DII-39) it may be worth the investment. I will need to either rent one (a real hassle given its size) or go to Mike's Camera in Boulder and have a print made from the Hassy files.

Woody

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody,
    Pretty sure you can upload your file to David at Dale Labs and have him print one out and ship it to you. Might make sense with the price of gas these days. If it's a print from an Epson 9880 you're looking for better check with him first as I believe he was moving away from these.

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoy prints and prefer to show my work that way . Almost all my work is personal and when I get a odd commercial assignment ..the client always wants digital content . No question ..large prints (for me thats over the old 16x20 standard) are most impressive. But given that I am not trying to build a inventory of fine art prints or supply a client with prints .....how many prints really should be made larger than say 12x18 on a 13x19 sheet? For my needs it seems that its really two sizes.....one for proofing(8 1/2x11 or A3) and including in a small easily carried portfolio box and the other for presentation , display and serious reviews. (13x19). Subject matter of course has a major impact ..if you are shooting landscapes with MF ..than I would expect that much larger sizes would be desirable. No real answers here just trying to see how others are viewing their print requirements.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thought i would ask a few questions.

are you mounting the prints? method?

in the old days, with silver/rag paper, I would dry and flatten prints in blotter books for a couple of days, then hot mount in a press using sheets of adhesive film.

how does one handle the inkjet papers?

thx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    thought i would ask a few questions.

are you mounting the prints? method?

in the old days, with silver/rag paper, I would dry and flatten prints in blotter books for a couple of days, then hot mount in a press using sheets of adhesive film.

how does one handle the inkjet papers?

thx
    John,
    There actually are many similar approaches, but not involving heat today. Some folks laminate the prints. Some mount to backing board with adhesives (spray, roll-on, double stick sheets and tapes), some mat the prints using traditional artist hinge tapes and things for archival means. Not really that different, just eliminating the old heat presses and dry mount tissues that do not work well with plastic based papers and some inks. Most of the pigment inks can handle some heat, and if printed on rag paper, that may be an option, but most stuff today is cold mount adhesive or hinge tape and mats.

LJ

P.S. Check out some of the tools and materials at Light Impressions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually, we HAVE hot mounted Epson x800 and x880 prints on Harman FB Al Gloss using Bienfang buffer-mount (slightly lower temp) tissue and had excellent results --- looks just like a traditional hot-mounted air-dried glossy wet print.

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks.

i dug around and found this place as well. I'm leaning toward the matte and hinges or corners, printing not full bleed, leaving about 3/4" paper border all around, covered by 1/4" by the matte. (16 x16 matte opening, 15-1/2 x 15-1/2 image on 17x17 paper)

http://www.framedestination.com/pict..._mounting.html

Post Thanks / Like

Jack,
    That is what I had suggested being possible, so it is good to hear about first hand results with the heat press and tissue (traditional mounting). The K3 and Ultrachome inks should handle the heat, and since the Harman paper you mention is fiber based, it should not have any issues with heat as resin based "papers" might.

John,
    That will work. I tend to like using linen tape to hang the print on the backing board, but folks have used the corner mounts quite successfully also. Both will let the print float a bit and allow removal should you want to change mats or something. I do not print full bleed for most of my stuff, but leave a border for handling and mounting. Beneath a mat, nobody but you will know ;-)

So what paper(s) are you using for what kind of prints? There are quite a few new and great choices out there now to create things that are stunning in B/W or color. This is such a step up from just a few years ago on paper choices.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And FWIW I also *much* prefer hinge mounting to corners. Depending on the print, I will use linen or archival paper tape; linen tape for art papers, archival paper tape for photo papers...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i am using harmon gloss FB, printing in color, epson 4880, imageprint.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i have a sizing question:
    I am shooting blad/CFV, square format, raw

i would like the final image size to be 15 x 15 (or 16-1/4 x 16-1/4...haven't decided)

the raw images are getting processed by Flexcolor right now, Phocus as soon as the PC version is out. When I select the 15 x 15 output in Flex though, it crops the image to get it, which I don't want. My workaround has been to re-size it when printing using the fit page tool in Imageprint. not particularly useful if you want an exact size. I can also re-size exactly in CS, but I am looking for the sizing to be done in the raw conversion

any hints?

thanks

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i have a sizing question:
    I am shooting blad/CFV, square format, raw

i would like the final image size to be 15 x 15 (or 16-1/4 x 16-1/4...haven't decided)

the raw images are getting processed by Flexcolor right now, Phocus as soon as the PC version is out. When I select the 15 x 15 output in Flex though, it crops the image to get it, which I don't want. My workaround has been to re-size it when printing using the fit page tool in Imageprint. not particularly useful if you want an exact size. I can also re-size exactly in CS, but I am looking for the sizing to be done in the raw conversion

any hints?

thanks
    Why at the conversion stage John?

Bumping up a 16 bit CFV native sized image to 15X15 or 16.25X16.25 is a no brainer for PS. Just write an action and resize all the shots at once from Bridge.

I also use Lightroom to do that task since you can select multiple formats and sizes there also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think John is saying the Flex raw converter is cropping? --- which is weird and not good...
    Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The largest prints today were 30x60 canvases 2 of which were sold early this year. I print on an Epson 9800 as well as a 4000.

Always looking for something larger

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i figured it out. flex sets the image size based on the ppi; the only way you can change output size is by cropping.
    what i am doing is processing to native size (300 dpi gives me about 14 x 14)
    and not squeezing too hard on the histogram, just trying to get the best white balance.
    then import the tiff to CS3 where it is easy to change image size, apply curves, etc.
    i was getting spoiled by the ease of imageprint to auto-size to fit your page or what layout you want, however it is not so easy to print that way to an exact size. now i set exact size in CS3 and just use imageprint for centering on the page. on a 17 x 17 page, i get a nice 15 x 15 image with a consistent border. over that i set a matt with a 15-3/4 sq opening
    Last edited by jlm; 3rd September 2008 at 16:52.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What type of printer do you use John? Just a question, because the native dpi of the Epson's is 360 or 240, depending on your resolution setting. 300dpi is generally only for continuous tone printers like the Chromira, Lightjet and so on. I find that setting 240dpi for large prints looks better than setting 360 (or 300) and upsizing. Your mileage may vary of course. I generally use a 3800, but occasionally I will prep files for a 9800 (not mine, sadly).
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

using CS3, i re-scale to 15x15, 240dpi (a bit trickier than that, but that is the outcome) for printing on epson 4880. my understanding is that at a native 720dpi for the epson, that gives a nice integer value of 3 dots per pixel

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

using CS3, i re-scale to 15x15, 240dpi (a bit trickier than that, but that is the outcome) for printing on epson 4880. my understanding is that at a native 720dpi for the epson, that gives a nice integer value of 3 dots per pixel
    John, maybe you've already done this, but here's some basic Flexcolor info if you haven't:

You can set-up any Tiff or Jpg output you want ... any ppi, and any % of enlargement.

If you haven't done this here's how to:

Open Flex. In the top menu go to >File, and in the drop down menu go to > Set Up.

Now click on the >General Tab.

Select which "Mode" to use (I always use 16 bit to maintain the highest color values even if I eventually save in 8 bit)

Type: single shot.

Resolution: 240ppi for larger prints (25" X25" or larger) ... or 360ppi for smaller ones. (for the CFV I use 360ppi)

Zoom: pick the % of enlargement you want either down from the native CFV size, or in your case up to make a 15" print.

Click on "New" at the bottom, name that "Set-Up" (like: [email protected]%) ... then click on okay.

Now open an image in Flex. In the left side adjustment panel at the top is the window marked "Set-Up" .. select the new one you just created.

All images will transfer at that size and ppi. Note that you can make as many "Set-Ups" as you want.

I rarely use Flexcolor to crop ... for one basic reason ... there is no straightening tool to correct the horizon line. Flex/Phocus is a RAW file color engine IMO, and produces the best color of any RAW processor with Hasselbald files.

I also never use CS3 to make conformed sizes ... Lightroom is faster.

Hope this helps a bit.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

marc:

thanks for the tip. here is what i found.

i had been using 8 bit std RGB. 100% at 300dpi, so i made a new
    setup at 240dpi, 16bit RGB. now when i open a 3fr image and compare the two set-ups, the 16 bit looks overexposed by a stop or two and the saturation and overall contrast are much lower???
    i could probably correct for this, but the effect was surprising.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

marc:

thanks for the tip. here is what i found.

i had been using 8 bit std RGB. 100% at 300dpi, so i made a new
    setup at 240dpi, 16bit RGB. now when i open a 3fr image and compare the two set-ups, the 16 bit looks overexposed by a stop or two and the saturation and overall contrast are much lower???
    i could probably correct for this, but the effect was surprising.
    A couple of possibilities:

Open up the "Set Up" dialog box again and see what the settings are for the other tabs for the set-up you created ... specifically "Contrast" and "Colorsync."

Also, with a new Set Up, Auto exposure corrections aren't automatic until you do one.

Also, with an image open, in the adjusment box labeled "Gradations" at the bottom is a menu selection titled "Film Response" ... if it says "Linear" it is set wrong. It should read "As Shot" and can be altered to show more or less contrast if desired if images are low or high contrast. The is also an "Old Standard" selection. Just click on each of these to see the effects they cause to the display image.

One way to double check this is to send an image to be saved as a DNG and open it in PSCS3 without any auto corrections in ACR.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

am checking:
    using std RBG embed: contrast 0, brighness 0, midtone 1 shadow depth0 (could not find a colorsync setting)
    using the 16 bit: contrast 1, brightness 0, midtone 1.488, shadow 0
    film response was as shot for both.
    switching from as shot to high contrast has a minor effect, but not nearly enough

i processed an image using both setups: 16 bit and the stdRGB and was able to tweak the 16bit image in CS3 to actually look a bit better than the stdRGB, though it took quite a bit of fiddling with curves and sat.

carbonmetrictree

I was going to purchase a Canon IPF6100 half a year ago, but decided to purchase the 5100 because of realistic printing needs. I tend to only print 11x14 for my portfolio and 8.5x11" for clients. Larger prints are used for gallery work, I've only had to print only a handful of images larger than 16x20. I love the IPF series of printers because they can handle 16bit images incredibly well!

Post Thanks / Like

Started printing a set of images today at a new size that I am really liking; 11"x15" palladium prints from the Pentax K20D. Large enough to frame up on the wall, but not too big to flip through in your lap.

Here's a cameraphone shot of one in the developer: