The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Prices for Fujitrans, can this be right?

A

aero

Hi All,

I'm in the process of getting some prints done for a show. My print house is charging me as follows for some managed prints.

Size: 24x36 image on 26x38 fujitrans (one print, Managed) = 247.00
Size: 11x14 image on 13x16 fujitrans (one print, Managed) = 80.00*
Size: 8x12 image on 10x14 fujitrans (one print, Managed) = 80.00*

* They charge anything smaller than 16x20 at 16x20 print.

The prices do go down a bit with quantity, and I have ~25-30 images to print - but my nine 26x38 prints alone could cost over $2000.00 at these prices.

Is this the going rate, or am I getting reamed? These files will require the service to "manage" by tweaking in photoshop (figuring out some gamut issues and profiling mainly)...

Thanks for any help - I'm pretty much a working (read: not highly paid) artist and while I will certainly spend the dough if it's the way it is (and I want good work!) - I also want to be sure...

-Dan

David K

Workshop Member
Dan,
David at Dale Labs should be able to help you with this (he's a forum member)... Not sure if they do this work, I know they were thinking about it. Give him a call at 954 920 3648 and see what he says.

tollie

Workshop Member
Hi,

To me those prices seem quite high... I'm not sure about the paper stock but in general I would be cautious about turning over the look of the final print to a house. Now if you will be there working with them side by side as the print is made I can see the cost... otherwise I would look a bit further. David's suggestion of Dale is a great place to start.

Remember also that the print is just one cost element...

Can we have a look at some of the images that will be shown?

Let us know what you find out.

Todd