Site Sponsors

Thread: is Flickr enough

Post Thanks / Like

is Flickr enough

if i just wanted an easy to find place to showcase my work to friends, family, and other photographers/artists, does flickr do the job?

the only difference for me is would be nice to have a dedicated .com web address and it is pretty cool that on smugmug friends and family/others can order prints right off smugmug's site (although i dont think i would sell too many prints)

do one even need smugmug/zenfolio if they use flickr to showcase photos?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: is Flickr enough

I use flickr for most of my photo sharing. It's more of a community thing, where people can share ideas and commentary about photos, follow contacts, etc. It doesn't allow any real customization of presentation, but does the community stuff perfectly, IMO.

In addition, I also have a zenfolio account. I only upload my favorite stuff to zenfolio, things I might hope/expect someone to print. It's my half-assed, poorly-marketed attempt to have a photographer's gallery without writing the code myself. Zenfolio is very customizable, with a good shopping cart and services including matting/framing, and the ability to set your profit margin on purchases. On the other hand it is not a community site.

One can print from flickr. Not sure what the requirements are (that is, would your mom or friend need an account to print one of your photos). However, I believe it probably fits the bill as an "easy to find place to showcase work".

Please have a look at the links to my "sites" in my signature. That should give you a feel as to how the sites differ in purpose.

Post Thanks / Like

do you sell many prints off zenfolio?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

start a blog and just post images...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gooomz View Post
    do you sell many prints off zenfolio?
    No. I'm the only one that has ordered any prints from there . I'm a software developer by trade, and not any good at marketing anything, least of all my photos and artwork.

a_summarita

Quote Originally Posted by gooomz View Post
    if i just wanted an easy to find place to showcase my work to friends, family, and other photographers/artists, does flickr do the job?

the only difference for me is would be nice to have a dedicated .com web address and it is pretty cool that on smugmug friends and family/others can order prints right off smugmug's site (although i dont think i would sell too many prints)

do one even need smugmug/zenfolio if they use flickr to showcase photos?
    Flickr can certainly do all of those above and with its extensive API, you can even use the data to build your own portfolio/photo website. So if you are not happy with flickr as a service, use it as a storage place or its amazing social feature.

For example this is my flickr: flickr.com/alvinwoon
    and this is my personal photo site built from flickr data: http://alvinwoon.com/photo/

So yea the advise would be it doesn't matter, just start posting photos in a place where you can easily play and manipulate with the data when you need them