Site Sponsors

Thread: HP or Epson for b&w and transparents

Post Thanks / Like

HP or Epson for b&w and transparents

What is the best pro Printer A2 or A1 actually for Black and White and transparent (digital negatives) ? HP or Epson ?

thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: HP or Epson for b&w and transparents

define best.

Personally I think both Canon and Epson are better than HP in about everything, but I'm not quite sure I understand your purpose ... what do you mean by "negatives" and what is the intended use?
    wayne
    My gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

depends on the particular printer. i prefer the Epsons using their K3 ink set to anything else for B&W. i've printed transparencies and vellums with the R2400 and K3 inks too, they look great.

for making digital negatives, hmm ... Haven't done that in a long time, but when i did the Epson 1270's dye inkset did a good job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have hp z3100 44" one problem the first month 2 years ago, then all perfect...never clog

B$W to me the best.

BlasR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    Personally I think both Canon and Epson are better than HP in about everything, but I'm not quite sure I understand your purpose
    but did you try B&W transparent yourself ?

Quote Originally Posted by BlasR View Post
    I have hp z3100 44" one problem the first month 2 years ago, then all perfect...never clog

B$W to me the best.

BlasR
    I have heard that HP is better for that kind of work
    thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a HP B9180 and an Epson 3880. I know these are not A1 printers, but the inks are the same or at least similar to what is in the bigger printers.

To my eyes, the HP does much better on matte paper than the Epson, especially for B&W. The blackest black you can get on matte paper is noticeably darker with the HP. With some images, I find this can really make a difference. The HP also seems to work well with any matte paper I ever tried, I find the Epson more picky about which paper I use, at least if you want really good blacks. I like it with the Epson Hot press papers but find it kind of bland with other papers I've tried.

With gloss paper, the situation reverses. The HP ink just isn't compatible with many of the fine art gloss papers available. The ink pools up and doesn't spread out on the paper correctly. These are really tiny "pools" of ink, but makes the prints look grainy. The HP ink does work well with the Harmon Gloss paper and maybe other papers I never tried, but I tried a bunch of gloss baryta papers and none of them worked without the pooling problem other than the Harmon. The B9180 doesn't have the gloss optimizer of the larger printers so I don't know if that makes a difference. The Epson just seems to work with pretty much every gloss paper I tried. I like what I get on Canson and Ilford papers better than anything I go with gloss paper on the HP. I do think the HP did a bit better on the Harmon gloss than the Epson does on the same paper.