The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which 24" printer should I buy?

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I'd like to upgrade my old 7600, which has been running Cone K7 MK inks the last few years. I love the output of my Epson 3800 with PK for both color and B&W. I'd love to consolidate the two printers into one. So ease (and low cost) of switching between MK/PK, use of the same papers, and PK/MK results in both color and B&W comparable to what I have today... (To be honest I think the K7 is no better than the 3800, so I'd be very pleased with a 24" 3800-equivalent with cheap, easy P/M K swapping.)

Which 24" carriage printer and pigment inks should I be looking at?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
7900 -- still K3 (x800) blacks and easy, at-the-nozzle Pk<>Mk swapping. Dithering and speed, linearity and profiles all significantly improved over the x800/x880 K3 printers. Feel free to stop by and run a demo file on mine!

dseelig

I would go HP as the longest archival life of all printers but it is bad as a sheet printer much better with rolls. The HP is also the cheapest on ink.

scho

I like the Canon iPF6xxx series. Still using my iPF6100 and after 3 years w/o any problems I'm more than satisfied. Print quality is excellent and very frugal ink usage.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
How is the ink consumption on the HP z3200? I see it takes 130ml carts... this seems pretty small. And they're not cheap. HP's own site doesn't even mention ink cart size, much less anything about coverage. Also, some reviewers seem to dislike the software; does it come with a standard OS X printer driver or does it require a custom printing utility?

dseelig

It comes with hp software no custom needed. The 130 last far longer then my epson cartridges . I had the epson 7600

Jan,

I would second Carl's comment on the Canon IPF series. I have had an IPF5100 for over 3 years alongside an Epson 4880 which is use with Cone K7/MPS. The Canon hardware is superior in my opinion and the software, drivers, etc are equal. The printer never clogs, is very frugal with ink, has 12 channels with great color and gamut, handles sheets and rolls with ease.

I am not sure of the latest 24" model designation, but I would definitely buy if I was in the market for a 24" printer...I am sure you can find someone in SF to go check it out.

mrenters

I have both an HP Z3100 (prior model to Z3200) and an Epson 7890. Here are the pros and cons for each:

HP Z3100
- NO CLOGS IN 3 YEARS!!
- No need to swap between matte and photo black. Printer is able to use MK and PK simultaneously
- Very frugal on ink. 130ml cartridges last a long time
- Printer ink lines are filled on new printer - no need to use 1/3 of first ink cartridge to charge lines
- Built-in photospectrometer - print, read and generate ICC profile automatically
- Slower printing than Epson (Z3200 may be faster)
- Reds on Z3100 aren't very saturated (fixed in Z3200)
- Great print accounting accessible via web interface
- uses star wheel rollers instead of vacuum - sometimes marks prints
- 12 colors including MK, PK and Gloss enhancer
- print heads are user replaceable and cost approx $60.

Epson 7890 (same as 7900 but with two less colors)
- Wonderful paper handling! Easy to load sheets. Roll paper holder is spindleless.
- Fast
- clogs frequently. I spend a significant amount of time doing nozzle checks and cleanings
- Heavier, more solid build
- vacuum paper suction - no roller marks
- 9 colors including MK and PK. 7900 has 11 colors

My ideal printer would be a faster HP with vacuum and the paper handling of the Epson. The no clogging of the HP is wonderful!

I have no experience with the Canon printers

Martin

GMB

After much agonizing I got the Canon ipf 6300. Main reason to get the Canon instead of the Epson was the clogging reported for the Epson (I do not print daily). So far I am very happy with what I get. Paper handling is very easy.

cs750

I have had the HP Z3200 24" printer for about 2 1/2 years; I agree with Martin's Pros outlined in his email, except his comments were related to the HP Z3100. I have never had a clog and never had to replace a print head or required any service. I have gone over a month without printing anything only to then print many prints without any clog. If you leave the printer turned on and plugged in.....you will likely never have a clog. I accidently left my printer unplugged for a week as a result of unplugging it during a lightning storm and it still did not clog. I use only roll paper. It is extraordinarily frugal on ink. Charles

Last edited: